Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

I saw it on my weave reader app on windows phone blog. Just installed it on my HTC 8x!

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-releases-drive-app-all-windows-phone-8-devices

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=...1-28018fcea606
    Last edited by HeyCori; 01-23-2013 at 03:52 PM.

Interestingly, the app advertises itself with images of the UK however, I can't download it and it says it's not available in my region.

EDIT: Scrap that! I've just got it to install! :-D
    Developer

A FREE offline, turn-by-turn voice guided navigation app for WP8 users in US, UK, and Canada

English is not my mother tongue, so I may have some issues on grammar or spelling or some other stuff. If you notice any mistakes, feel free to correct me!

Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    Looks like it! Now, if they could just move it out of Beta (and if I could just get a WP8!)...

Another win for windows phone! is it a bad idea to take the exclusivity from Nokia though??
    Sent from my RM-825_eu_euro1_217 using Board Express

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    In the German market, the app got a German description. I hope this means its available FOR Germany soon.

Wooo! Downloading now, and gonna test it later! Stuck in the office right now, but will be driving soon enough. I live in Seattle WA so will be able to give it a good run!

Wooooooooooo! One of my two gripes with wp8 gone! Now if they could just improve playlists on the music side.

Thanks Nokia and MS! Superb news

All I want now is a wireless Charging car mount for for my HTC 8x!
    Thanked by:
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,178 Global Posts
    w00t w00t

Since I have an HTC and haven't been able to try Nokia Drive myself, does this replace the Bing map links with Nokia Map links - or does Nokia Drive provide the directions via Bing Maps?

I don't want to install this on my HTC if it'll obfuscate my beloved Bing Maps.

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Doesn't show up in the app store for me...
    Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    It will not show up in app store. You need the direct hidden link.

Also on the details page of the app in store, scroll down to the link 'More from NAVTEQ EUROPE B.V' and install Nokia Pulse beta too!

Finally a navigation app that will allow me to get directions from Bing Maps. I have Navigon, which I really like, but I always have to copy or re-type the address when I'm looking something up
    Quote Originally Posted by msdugn View Post
    Since I have an HTC and haven't been able to try Nokia Drive myself, does this replace the Bing map links with Nokia Map links - or does Nokia Drive provide the directions via Bing Maps?

I don't want to install this on my HTC if it'll obfuscate my beloved Bing Maps.
    It doesn't replace or obfuscate anything. It is just an extra app... Bing and Nokia maps are two entirely separate apps.
    Thanked by:
    msdugn 

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I tried it for my 8x, not bad so far

Global Posts
    2,506 Global Posts
    super, now all phones can suffer poor battery life.

Nokia should have got this out of beta before inflicting it on everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by richholguin View Post
    By downloading Nokia Drive, you do not replace Bing map links with Nokia map links. Two separate apps. So everything will run as before with the exception that you now have an app that gives you turn by turn voice guided navigation.
    Also...

1) You can search for directions via Bing (Nokia) Maps, then in the the direction list screen, launch Nokia Drive from there, via the "Drive" button. This button used to launch GMapsPro for me.
    2) Nokia Drive uses the same offline maps already installed on your phone.

Device: O2 HTC Windows Phone 8X 16Gb

Now lets support EU customers also, Nokia!

Quote Originally Posted by inteller View Post
    super, now all phones can suffer poor battery life.

Nokia should have got this out of beta before inflicting it on everyone.
    Its a newer version to the one that was on Nokia devices. Apparently the battery drain issue has been addressed.

Youve got to try out the Surfer Dude voice pack - not sure how long before it would get annoying though - but its alot more friendly and chilled than the standard.
    Thanked by:
    absonj 

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Why does everyone like this so much better than Bing maps. I get my turn by turn directions fine with Bing maps, is the only difference that Nokia is voice turn by turn?

Quote Originally Posted by gmfeld View Post
    Why does everyone like this so much better than Bing maps. I get my turn by turn directions fine with Bing maps, is the only difference that Nokia is voice turn by turn?
    Its a proper sat nav feature that competes. I like Bing Maps for walking, but it doesn't even rotate the map in the direction travel, so it can get confusing. In terms of what the competition are providing their customers, a free sat nav solution for all Windows Phone was much needed.

Thanked by:
    gmfeld 

Initial test ran fine. Altered course twice, and it corrected nicely. Had new streets in as well as a new round-a-bout. Will really pound it today, going from central Seattle, down north and then back up south, 4 stops between the two, lots of roads. Will see how it works, and how well the battery issue is. All running through bluetooth as well. Will post the results around 3:00pm today. But so far, so good. And the surfer dude is funny, although not sure how long I will put up with it, will post that as well. Oh, and it worked all offline, as I will set it for today as well.

I also tried it on the way to work today. It impressed me to be honest, it avoided two sections of road that are terrible in terms of traffic that other sat navs send you down. Is this a feature of the software or just beginners luck?

I also went the wrong way a couple of times to see how it reacted and again it did well, re-routing in seconds. I was very impressed with the voice directions, its done so well that you don't have to look at it.

I did an hour and a half drive on battery and didn't notice any big drop in battery level.

Very impressed so far, more than ticks the boxes.
    HeyCori likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast