Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    I saw a few threads early January where everyone said there was no way to see what's been backed up or see those messages if you delete them. I just found out that even if the messages are deleted from the phone and you want to view them, you can do it in outlook.com without having to restore the phone.

It's under the list of folders in the folder called "Messaging history" but you can't see that folder if you view your Microsoft account emails on your phone. It's only when you log in on the web on a PC.

Folks might already know this, but it's out there if anyone had missed it like me!

Global Posts
    1,046 Global Posts
    My account only lists the Facebook chat messages but not the normal SMS messages.
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by WorzelGummage View Post
    My account only lists the Facebook chat messages but not the normal SMS messages.
    Ditto.
    English is not my mother tongue, so I may have some issues on grammar or spelling or some other stuff. If you notice any mistakes, feel free to correct me!
  4.    #4  
    This might sound daft, but do you guys have SMS back up on? Not just chat back up? Chat back up is always on by default.

Global Posts
    1,046 Global Posts
    It doesn't sound daft at all. But yes, I do have SMS backup turned on. I had to factory reset my first Lumia once and when it restored all of my SMS's were restored to my phone. When my replacement 920 arrived, as soon as I entered my @Live account all my SMS's were restored to my new phone so I know it definitely has backed up my SMS's.

Also, on my Outlook page where the chat messages are displayed it states there are 539 messages on the bottom but I only have a handful of chat messages displayed. So unless I'm missing something really obvious I'm not able to see my SMS's online.
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    This might sound daft, but do you guys have SMS back up on? Not just chat back up? Chat back up is always on by default.
    Yes, I have sms backup on.
    On the web I can see facebook and skype chats but no sms.
    English is not my mother tongue, so I may have some issues on grammar or spelling or some other stuff. If you notice any mistakes, feel free to correct me!
  7.    #7  
    Ok I need to check my settings and let you guys know. I have messages, chats only and messages + chats mixed as well for some contacts.

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    I only have Facebook messages in there too (or rather a lack of, because the integrated FB chat rarely works). SMS backup on also.

weird I have 1442 messages, and 42 pages but I can only browse page 1 and 2 and they are Messenger chat history. I can't seem to find a filter applied. It does say view All

Global Posts
    1,401 Global Posts
    No sms, only facebook/skype
  11.    #11  
    Is this a regional thing then? I'm in the UK.
  12.    #12  
    Ok weird. I logged back in on my outlook.com.
    This morning I was able to browse through all 77 pages of messaging history. Now even though it says 77 pages, I can only see 2 pages and they are fb chat. I tried to apply and re apply filters, but they don't do a thing! :(

Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    If you interop unlock, you can install a homebrew SMS backup app which allows you to backup/export both SMS & Chat to your computer in several formats. It's also possible to restore.

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    Is this a regional thing then? I'm in the UK.
    UK here also but only FB Chat messages

Global Posts
    1,653 Global Posts
    Maybe it was a glitch that you saw them that one time? I think they are all there because it shows a large number count at the bottom.

They would need a better way to list the SMS messages then just in one big list due to the fact you could have multiple phones using one Live ID so they need like a sub folder under each one with the device..

Global Posts
    587 Global Posts
    US Verizon customer with Backup turned ON

I can only see facebook chat messages saved here, not SMS

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Pretty sure this has nothing to do with SMS backup. Instead, since you have linked your Microsoft account with Facebook and/or Skype, it has the ability to read those messages and reproduce them on Outlook.com. Seems as if it has absolutely nothing to do with your Windows Phone. In fact, perhaps we should get somebody with an Outlook account linked to Facebook/Skype who doesn't own a Windows Phone to check on this.
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    Maybe it was a glitch that you saw them that one time? I think they are all there because it shows a large number count at the bottom.
    My messaging history contains 2546 messages. This number is incremented some minutes after an SMS is sent. (now is 2548)
    In the footer I read "Page 1 of 73" but I can navigate the first 2 or 3 pages only and I see only Facebook/Skype message.

Global Posts
    1,653 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heijenoort View Post
    My messaging history contains 2546 messages. This number is incremented some minutes after an SMS is sent. (now is 2548)
    In the footer I read "Page 1 of 73" but I can navigate the first 2 or 3 pages only and I see only Facebook/Skype message.
    Yep, I agree. They are there, but Microsoft has just not given us the ability to see them...

I can confirm that you can indeed see your SMS history online... but it's either hidden on purpose, or else (and more likely), it's just build in a very $#!tty way.
    Anyway, i was able to see it by changing my URL to this after navigating to the Messaging folder in Outlook.

https://blu002.mail.live.com/default.aspx?fid=b#3

Proof:
    wp8_msghistonline.png

Phone number redacted to protect the innocent, although you can atleast guess my city and country from the area code!

Can any one else confirms if this works for them?
  21.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winphoner View Post
    I can confirm that you can indeed see your SMS history online... but it's either hidden on purpose, or else (and more likely), it's just build in a very $#!tty way.
    Anyway, i was able to see it by changing my URL to this after navigating to the Messaging folder in Outlook.

Proof:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp8_msgHistOnline.png 
Views:	1359 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	27414

Phone number redacted to protect the innocent, although you can atleast guess my city and country from the area code!

Sweet! So may be that one time when I could see, it was due to some URL re-direct glitch? I did jump from Skydrive to Outlook using the top drop down. So it might have not redirected again? I will try changing URL and confirm!
    Developer

Still not work for me :(

My outlook address is https://dub002.mail.live.com/default.aspx If I add the fid parameter I get the error "Sorry, there seems to be a problem with Outlook right now"

Global Posts
    657 Global Posts

My outlook address is https://dub002.mail.live.com/default.aspx If I add the fid parameter I get the error "Sorry, there seems to be a problem with Outlook right now"
    Same for me when adding the fid parameter...

I'm trying to replicate the scenario, and I'm having difficulty doing it. But once there, I was able to scroll through the many different days of messages. It was a bit scary having all of it saved, but cool to be able to view it.
    Another thing i noticed was that you could click on a message you sent out, and it would show the full details, but if you click on one that you received, it says something along the lines of "outlook cannot connect right now... "

I'll keep experimenting with it and see what I can come up with. Things to try if anyone else wants to join in:
    • Different browsers: Firefox/IE/Chrome
    • Javascript: on/off
    • Cookies: on/off
    • Advanced: Read the html source to look for hidden fields that can be manipulated etc...

I assure you, no hoax, genuinely saw it, and want to be able to get to it...

UPDATE: Got it again!

https://blu002.mail.live.com/default...4662401&fid=b#page=3

??? again not sure why it works???

UPDATE 2
    After paging a bit, here is the full url (not sure what all the stuff is, please don't try to hack my acct!):
    https://blu002.mail.live.com/default...26.567Z&pidx=5
    Developer

UPDATE: Got it again!

https://blu002.mail.live.com/default...4662401&fid=b#page=3

??? again not sure why it works???
    It works! Thank you!

I think this is a hidden feature because is still a work in progress, probably it will be available soon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast