Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Erickson187

Hi. I'm a long time Android user, currently using a Galaxy S3, but am seriously considering switching to a WP8 device. I run Win8 Pro on one of my laptops, and have a Surface RT tablet which I love. I figure a WP8 phone would be great just to get everything "in the family".

I don't want to switch from VZW to another carrier as I am a long haul trucker and get the best 4G coverage through them.

I have looked at both the HTC 8X and the Lumia 822 in a VZW store, have read all of the various reviews I could find on the web, and have been reading these forums for several days. I still can't quite decide which one I want to buy and keep flip flopping between them.

I really love the look and feel of the 8X, but have read about of lot of issues with them regarding SIM cards and random reboots, as well as them being very easily broken.

On the other hand I like that the Lumia has a replaceable battery, but have read that the call quality on the 822 is sub-par and there may be reboot issues related to using Bluetooth with them (totally unacceptable to me as I am required by law, and common sense, to use Bluetooth while driving).

So, here I am, sitting on the fence and unable to decide which way to go. I should say also that I am not eligible yet for an upgrade and so will be paying full retail for whichever one I decide to buy, but the cost difference between the two isn't a major issue.

The ability to add storage isn't a big issue for me either way, I don't store tons of music or video files on my phone. While I prefer a nice high resolution screen, I don't watch a lot of videos on my phone so that isn't a deal breaker either.

Mainly, I want as reliable a WP8 phone as possible. That's my highest priority. Good call quality, both with and without Bluetooth, is very important.

So help me out folks. Those who have used either (or both) of these phones for any length of time, what's the truth (or not) about the issues with them?

You mentioned that you're a truck driver, so I'm guessing you already have some kind of Navigation (i.e Google maps on your android, Garmin, etc). If you don't, the 822 has Nokia Drive which is really good compared to Google maps. I have a friend with the 822 and he hasn't complained once about call quality issues, but that has more of an opinion element to it. The 822 also has expandable memory, so if you're the type of person who listens to a lot of music/podcast while driving or keeps a lot of videos, you might need the 822.

In terms of the major issues with the devices, the some of the issues with the 8X are hardware issues that can't be fixed with a software update (e.g dis-coloring and easily broken). the issue with reboots was fixed with portico and its just a matter of Verizion getting around to updating the devices. As far as the blutooth issue on the 822, it seems like something that would be rolled out with the portico update.

I only mentioned the features that I think would be most important to you, but the 822 has more features that makes it quite a compelling device (e.g wireless charging) [edit: I forgot that the 8X on verizion includes wireless charging] even though it is "sub-par".

The 8x is still a good device and it is deserving of the flagship title, and you won't be disappointed in it if it doesn't give you any issues.
    Last edited by Cybersonic; 01-17-2013 at 05:54 PM.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    I have the 8x, great phone. Worth it just for the screen. I have only had one problem with mine. Invalid SIM, but switched from Global to LTE and CDMA setting and no more invalid SIM warning. All in all a great phone. And Qi compatible.
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Thanked by:

I have the 822 and so far i love it. All the exclusive nokia apps, cheaper than the 8x and has sd slot for music and pictures. The screen may not be as good but i dont care about that. I dont see the need for HD graphics on such a small screen
    Thanked by:
    fifthGear likes this.
    I would go with the Lumia 822. It's Nokia, which means you'll get all the good exclusive Nokia apps, plus support if something goes wrong. It's also a great phone. I have the 810 but played with an 822 at the mall near me a few days before Christmas.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Erickson187 View Post
    I have the 822 and so far i love it. All the exclusive nokia apps, cheaper than the 8x and has sd slot for music and pictures. The screen may not be as good but i dont care about that. I dont see the need for HD graphics on such a small screen
    Have you used your 822 with Bluetooth? If so, any problems? How is the call quality?

Yep man go for Nokia, you won't regret HTC is great, but Nokia is number 1 in WP world, so don't hesitate and get one! Screen resolution doesn't make that huge difference, design wise is more solid and wireless charging plus Nokia apps wins over 8X.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,250 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gpstrucker View Post
    Have you used your 822 with Bluetooth? If so, any problems? How is the call quality?
    I use the BT thru my car regularly and have no problems. My co-workers were amazed when I could reply to text messages by simply speaking my replies. I also use a BT headset when I'm at work and haven't had any complaints.

I wanted the 8X until I saw and held the 822. Other than a couple issues when I first got it and a reset fixed it, I haven't had any problems. You will have to read our comments and then decide on your own which you like better. I can't tell you one is better than the other. Both will have issues, both will be loved by their users. What sealed it for me was the screen size of the 822. For you, the bigger screen will give you easier viewing of incoming calls and if you use a full tile, you will see your texts easier.

PM me for more details
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by wbdillworth View Post
    I use the BT thru my car regularly and have no problems. My co-workers were amazed when I could reply to text messages by simply speaking my replies. I also use a BT headset when I'm at work and haven't had any complaints.

I wanted the 8X until I saw and held the 822. Other than a couple issues when I first got it and a reset fixed it, I haven't had any problems. You will have to read our comments and then decide on your own which you like better. I can't tell you one is better than the other. Both will have issues, both will be loved by their users. What sealed it for me was the screen size of the 822. For you, the bigger screen will give you easier viewing of incoming calls and if you use a full tile, you will see your texts easier.
    Thanks. I think that definitely addresses one of my biggest concerns with the 822. I am now leaning in that direction, knowing that Bluetooth isn't a problem. How is the call quality? Is it as bad as I have read, or is that also a non-issue?

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    I'm from T-Mobile so slightly different experience. I had the 8X for a few weeks before I switched to the Lumia 810. Cybersonic hit it on the money. HTC's hardware, while very very sexy, has some quality issues, namely the corners.

I had some other issues as well such as crackly bluetooth (I'm sure that was fixed by portico), restarts, and poor battery life (those were reportedly fixed by portico). I returned the phone a month later (I got lucky) and got the 810 instead. It has been magical. I did have one random restart for the 1.5 months that I've had it and the battery life has been much, much better. I did have a bluetooth issue where it would pair with my car but no sound would show. Portico fixed this.

Nokia also seems to have more invested in Windows so it seems to be a more polished product.

In short, I would go with Nokia.
    Thanked by:
    wilks7 

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Call quality has been great on my 822, so no issues there. I haven't used Bluetooth yet, so I can't comment on that, but otherwise it's been very reliable.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,250 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gpstrucker View Post
    Thanks. I think that definitely addresses one of my biggest concerns with the 822. I am now leaning in that direction, knowing that Bluetooth isn't a problem. How is the call quality? Is it as bad as I have read, or is that also a non-issue?
    I haven't had any issues with call quality on either the callers end or my end. That doesn't mean some people haven't had issues, but in my case, call quality is fine, and I have hearing loss.

PM me for more details
    Thanked by:

I really appreciate all of the input.

I have not really had any issues with the bluetooth. One thing i was having issues with was my connection to online, however i found otherd jad said for some reason the phone had been set to global instead of LTE/CDMA but fixex it and good now.
    Thanked by:

Today I stopped by a VZW store in Youngstown, Ohio to pay my bill (someone else's payment had been mistakenly credited to my account, which created some confusion) and I again handled and checked out both phones. Honestly, at this point I am leaning towards to 822. I'm going to give myself another week or two, and a few more hands on experiences, before making a decision one way or the other but as of today the 822 is winning out for me.
    I'd say use the guarantee period to give them both an extended trial to see which one you like best. If media is a concern then it's a no brainer to go with the 8X as the sound and screen quality can't be beat. Also it is very noticeable going from a higher resolution screen to a lower resolution screen, so keep that in mind if you decide to go with the 822.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    I'd say use the guarantee period to give them both an extended trial to see which one you like best. If media is a concern then it's a no brainer to go with the 8X as the sound and screen quality can't be beat. Also it is very noticeable going from a higher resolution screen to a lower resolution screen, so keep that in mind if you decide to go with the 822.
    I spent some time checking out both screen and honestly the 822 seemed a lot brighter to me. I don't watch a lot of videos on my phone, I use my Surface for that. For what I use my phone to do, the lower resolution screen is just fine. I viewed several web pages that I visit often and they looked just fine to me on both phones although the 8X just didn't seem as bright and looked a bit washed out to me.

I'm still on the fence a bit, but leaning toward the Nokia at this point. I'll make a decision in a week or two.

I started off with the Verizon HTC 8X, roughly 80 days later, I found a guy on craigslist that has an 822 in perfect condition like my 8X. We met and I traded after playing with it just a few minutes. I admit I get bored with phones easy and switch a lot. I did like the 720p display on the 8x, but I really like the AMOLED display better on the 822 even tho the resolution is a little lower. As far as sound/call quality, I use a Bluetooth at work, it's a very expensive Bluetooth with excellent quality and I don't hear a difference in quality between either phone... both of them are GREAT. Over all, I really like the lumia 822 better, especially how it feels in the hands. The squareness of the 8x I liked at first, but when holding it for long period of times while watching videos or even on a long call without Bluetooth irritated me. I actually like how the 822 resolution is lower, I like the tiles being bigger, the screen being brighter. I was amazed how many dedicated NOKIA apps there actually are that are useful. I've only been with the 822 for less than a week, but I really think I made the right decision by switching. Mostly, I like the fact that I can add an SD card later for more storage if I need, and the fact that I can carry more than one battery if I need. On the 8x, if the battery start's to act up, you can't just swap it out -- something to keep in mind, but usually not an issue,, warranty should cover any issues like that, but who wants the issue of changing out phones, instead of just getting a new, or extra battery ? Over all, I wish I wouldn't of started with the 8x. I went into Verizon set on the 822, but the representative was very persistent on leaning me towards the 8x. Having bad eyes like I do, I shoudve just went with the lumia 822, technically its not as crisp as a 720p display, but things are BIGGER on the lower resolution which is better for me. I've also noticed, it seems the battery drains a bit slower on the lumia 822 for what I do on it. Both are great phones, but to me the 822 is what I shouldnve went with in the first place -- I was lucky to find an 822 on craigslist that was in perfect shape like my 8x !!! PEACE

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I'm intrigued, what did gpstrucker eventually go with?