- 01-06-2013, 06:31 PM #1
So I'm converting my dvd to .mp4 with h.264 as my codec. The reason i'm not just jumping to wmv, is for a broader compatibility with my other devices. The trouble i'm having is when I play them back on the phone, it squishes the video to a more narrow ratio, making everyone look a bit askew. I can live with it, but if anyone else has found a way to overcome this, I'd be grateful to know how.
01-06-2013, 07:58 PM #2
- 23 Posts
I have not found such a way because this is not happening on any of my H264 encoded mp4 files. Are you sure that the problem isn't in the actual video?
There's also the button for filling up the screen (in wp8 video player), but I do not think it affects the aspect ratio of the video.
01-07-2013, 02:13 PM #4
- 8 Posts
The problem you're having is with anamorphic videos. WP7 and WP8 always fail on these files. There are several threads on MS answers about it but no idea of any fix yet. If you let the phone sync program on a PC convert it when asked during copying to the phone, the anamorphism is removed and the video will now play with the correct aspect ratio.
Just another limitation of this beautiful but irritatingly flawed OS.
- 01-08-2013, 06:13 AM #5
Thanks for the tip. That actually crossed my mind, but I figured it can't be that. To bad we can't have the nokia player from Symbian. codec support as far as the eye could see, and a button that changed the ratio not just zoomed. But that being said, wp8 is super slick!!
- By pstork in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RTReplies: 0Last Post: 10-29-2012, 01:03 PM
- By pstork in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RTReplies: 0Last Post: 10-29-2012, 11:57 AM
- By vizagdude in forum Nokia Lumia 900Replies: 0Last Post: 04-12-2012, 02:59 PM
- By SurrealSonicus in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 5Last Post: 03-22-2012, 12:07 PM
- By SilverRubicon in forum Windows Phone AppsReplies: 3Last Post: 03-17-2011, 08:50 PM