Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By irvin792
  • 1 Post By Residing
  1. Dave_97865's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
       #1  
    Just wondering if anyone knows when Nokia Drive might come out of "Beta", and why is it called Beta now when it seems to work fine? (I have verizon, Lumia 822)

    When I say it works fine, there are some features that would be nice, such as the ability to adjust your routes while looking at the map and satellite overlays. Does anyone know if there is any way to get these basic features that are avialable on every other phone, or if MS or Nokia have any such plans????

    Drive seems to be just a basic GPS navigation system with no bells and whistles, unless maybe they are hidden somewhere?
  2. chrgeorgeson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    99 Posts
    #2  
    I've wondered the same thing myself.
    I don't understand what the "beta" tag is there for. Everything in there is solid but I can say that I've been pretty disappointed with Nokia Drive. I think its UI is great but the lack of features is pretty pathetic.
    I'm hoping that Nokia will actually bring huge updates to Drive along with Maps.
  3. BeaverJuicer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #3  
    I would say you've both answered your own question. It's Beta, because the end user experience isn't finalized, and they are still adding/tweaking things.
  4. WinFan1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    295 Global Posts
    #4  
    i hope they bring some added functionality as well i hate my annoying *** friend bragging about gmaps...
  5. chrgeorgeson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    99 Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverJuicer View Post
    I would say you've both answered your own question. It's Beta, because the end user experience isn't finalized, and they are still adding/tweaking things.
    So really it should be Nokia Drive + Alpha if they are still adding things. :)
    Beta is feature complete and squashing out bugs.
    I don't think we really answered our own questions.
  6. BeaverJuicer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by chrgeorgeson View Post
    So really it should be Nokia Drive + Alpha if they are still adding things. :)
    Beta is feature complete and squashing out bugs.
    I don't think we really answered our own questions.
    Except the word Beta is not a specifically defined/standardized term. In general connotation, it solely means "we ain't done yet." :D
  7. Dave_97865's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
       #7  
    I don't mean to complain, but I'm gonna go ahead and do that, and sound foolish here... I actually asked 3 cell phone guys if the GPS on WP phone had all the features like satellite overlay and everything else my previous Android phone did, and I had to trust them when they said "yeah, sure whatever," since I couldn't really test the nav app in the store. I figured since Ms had Bing maps, and they are totally capable of it, that they'd have the same features. I know this is just marketing/manipulation, not something they can't immediately release. Honestly, if I'd had the truth in advance it would have been a deal killer for me.

    In hindsight, I'm happy with this phone. All the other features in WP definitely outweigh this issue.
  8. inteller's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,500 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,504 Global Posts
    #8  
    It gobbles battery and should stay in beta until they fix it
  9. irvin792's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,064 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,184 Global Posts
    #9  
    It does not eat battery like it used too. Its very usable now
    rdubmu likes this.
  10. inteller's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,500 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,504 Global Posts
    #10  
    It doesn't gobble at all in wp7
  11. Residing's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by chrgeorgeson View Post
    I've wondered the same thing myself.
    I don't understand what the "beta" tag is there for. Everything in there is solid but I can say that I've been pretty disappointed with Nokia Drive. I think its UI is great but the lack of features is pretty pathetic.
    I'm hoping that Nokia will actually bring huge updates to Drive along with Maps.
    Well, it is a free service offered by Nokia to Nokia users. If you find it pathetic, why not just splurge and purchase a navigation app?
    rdubmu likes this.
  12. Residing's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_97865 View Post
    I don't mean to complain, but I'm gonna go ahead and do that, and sound foolish here... I actually asked 3 cell phone guys if the GPS on WP phone had all the features like satellite overlay and everything else my previous Android phone did, and I had to trust them when they said "yeah, sure whatever," since I couldn't really test the nav app in the store. I figured since Ms had Bing maps, and they are totally capable of it, that they'd have the same features. I know this is just marketing/manipulation, not something they can't immediately release. Honestly, if I'd had the truth in advance it would have been a deal killer for me.

    In hindsight, I'm happy with this phone. All the other features in WP definitely outweigh this issue.
    But you said it would have been a deal breaker had you known - were you not able to determine that this was not the GPS functionality you required within the return period for the phone?
  13. Dave_97865's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
       #13  
    Residing, I'm happy with the phone, but before I knew how great the phone is, sub par mapping/gps would have turned it into a deal killer.

Similar Threads

  1. Nokia Drive already hacked
    By tissotti in forum Nokia Lumia 800
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2011, 01:34 PM
  2. What is the future of user expandable memory.
    By EdAmiga1 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-24-2011, 02:44 PM
  3. Expected launch time of Nokia devices?
    By ar_garza in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-02-2011, 04:48 PM
  4. How comfortable do you feel with the future of WP7?
    By KallDrexx in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 03-12-2011, 12:44 AM

Posting Permissions