Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by XENOPHOS View Post
    I don't quite like the 8X so much. Also, today when I was holding the 8X and 8S, the screen looked purplish on the 8X. But the 8S screen was just perfect. Whites were whites. Also, I think here in India, the 920 will be the same as 8X. But the 820 will be a little less and close to the 8S. So, it all now depends on the pricing...

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.
    That must've been a faulty model because the screen looks normal to me.
    Consider that part of that 4GB will be taken by the OS. I wish I could remember how much space was taken after I reset my phone, so I could tell you, but U do remember that it was enough to surprise me. Both the 4GB and the 512MB RAM would be enough to make me look elsewhere.
    - Rich

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  3. V J

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    Consider that part of that 4GB will be taken by the OS. I wish I could remember how much space was taken after I reset my phone, so I could tell you, but U do remember that it was enough to surprise me. Both the 4GB and the 512MB RAM would be enough to make me look elsewhere.
    Wow really good point, considering the OS is 1GB+, virtual cache is another 1GB, what's left?? Can you install apps on a micro-SD?? Coz if not then that's an incredibly tiny bit left of space for apps....

You can't install apps on microsd.

The only advantage the 8S has is removable storage. And the 8X only has 8GB of storage. That was what got me to buy the 920.

The 8X has 16GB.

Global Posts
    1,504 Global Posts
    But i think even the sharper resolution in making the phone a lil cooler.
    Is the 4" size perfect to read and write for a long time?
    I may have to work from it...I mean write from the phone whilst commuting. Will it b too much of a hassle and uncomfortable and a strain on the eye?

As I've said before, if you are open to the 820 it is hands down better than the 8S. You won't even be able to use all the WP8 apps with the 8S due to its 512mb RAM limitation. The 820, on the other hand, has the same internals as the flagship WP8 phones.

That being said, the 8S will still operate smoothly at core functions and likely will be good enough - but the 820 is no question a better phone overall.

Bottom line, you like the 8S style better. Do you wish to sacrifice substance for style? If so, get the 8S. If not, get the 820.

I'd also guess that the 820 has better build quality/durability, if that means anything to you. I would just pick one and move on, though, as your personal debate has gone on for long enough :)
    Thanked by:
    XENOPHOS likes this.

Global Posts
    1,504 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    As I've said before, if you are open to the 820 it is hands down better than the 8S. You won't even be able to use all the WP8 apps with the 8S due to its 512mb RAM limitation. The 820, on the other hand, has the same internals as the flagship WP8 phones.

That being said, the 8S will still operate smoothly at core functions and likely will be good enough - but the 820 is no question a better phone overall.

Bottom line, you like the 8S style better. Do you wish to sacrifice substance for style? If so, get the 8S. If not, get the 820.

I'd also guess that the 820 has better build quality/durability, if that means anything to you. I would just pick one and move on, though, as your personal debate has gone on for long enough :)
    Hahahha...I was just thinking that.
    Anyways. One last question would be, that will the 4" screen b a problem? I mean strainful for the eye? For writing an reading?

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Hah! Ok...even for someone who doesn't use a lot of apps and will use the phone for social networking?
    I think if I don't put a lot of apps and (I won't) it wil b fine...

With only 4gb memory, you will have about 2gb free memory to begin with and believe me, even if you don't use lot of apps, that 4gb will be gone soon.
    You will be constantly juggling to free space. I believe little extra money is worth putting in for a better phone, specially in India, where I believe you are not constantly connected to internet that you can rely on cloud space totally.

Also, even though 8S looks better, eventually you will end up putting case on it(based on people's complaints about 8X's color degradation), after which its looks won't matter at all.

PS: I know, I mentioned about 8X's color degradation above, but I believe same will apply for 8S also, since I think they both have same materials/coloring method from HTC, which isn't looking good based on the other thread going on.

Global Posts
    1,504 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hary536 View Post
    With only 4gb memory, you will have about 2gb free memory to begin with and believe me, even if you don't use lot of apps, that 4gb will be gone soon.
    You will be constantly juggling to free space. I believe little extra money is worth putting in for a better phone, specially in India, where I believe you are not constantly
    connected to internet that you can rely on cloud space totally.

Also, even though 8S looks better, eventually you will end up putting case on it(based on people's complaints about 8X's color degradation), after which its looks won't matter at all.
    2 excellent points.
    I am connected to the net 24X7 & there but one case I just read of degradation of the 8S. I have see all the 8Xs with discolouration and other hardware problems.

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,429 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    I would just pick one and move on, though, as your personal debate has gone on for long enough :)
    Bearing in mind I would probably be willing to spend in excess of 18 months trying to decide on the perfect phone, I say let his personal debate continue. I'll say this though, it'll definitely be worth looking at the 820 over the 8S. Removable battery, Nokia audio, super-sensitive screen, etc. I would say it is worth trading in the looks for it (also I quite like the looks of the 820)

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Global Posts
    2,202 Global Posts
    It comes in 8Gb and 16 Gb models
    Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    2 excellent points.
    I am connected to the net 24X7 & there but one case I just read of degradation of the 8S. I have see all the 8Xs with discolouration and other hardware problems.

That's because I think the number of 8S sold it not high compared to 8X, specially in US, I believe. Hence you don't see many posts about it.

There's no 8S in the US ;)

Global Posts
    1,504 Global Posts
    That's because I think the number of 8S sold it not high compared to 8X, specially in US, I believe. Hence you don't see many posts about it.
    Hmm..could be.

But no one seems to answer my Q..will the small screen (4") be an eye sore for long hours of reading and writing..?

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Hmm..could be.

But no one seems to answer my Q..will the small screen (4") be an eye sore for long hours of reading and writing..?

Yes, ofcourse.(For long hours of reading and writing).

mm... i don't understand why spec for the processor is that important if it's not going to be app/game heavy, i think the OS will run just as smooth on the 8s as my Lumia 800 which is even lower on spec

the single biggest issue i have with it is the 4GB internal memory, but if you stick a memory card in it should fix alot of the woes, what it would come down to me in the is the price difference, if the difference between the 8s and the 820 is minor, i don't see why you wouldn't go with the 820 to save some headache (then again if the price of 820 is the same as 8x as others suggest, you would have a different headache) (btw, you might want to factor in the price of an sd card for the 8s)

i actually really like the look of the 8s, had a chance to play with it at Virgin Mobile a week or two ago, too bad im still tied down with a contract until end of this year

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts
    Hmm..could be.

This, like everything else, is subjective. I don't strain at all on my 3.5" Quantum.

Global Posts
    1,504 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nataku4ca View Post
    mm... i don't understand why spec for the processor is that important if it's not going to be app/game heavy, i think the OS will run just as smooth on the 8s as my Lumia 800 which is even lower on spec

the single biggest issue i have with it is the 4GB internal memory, but if you stick a memory card in it should fix alot of the woes, what it would come down to me in the is the price difference, if the difference between the 8s and the 820 is minor, i don't see why you wouldn't go with the 820 to save some headache (then again if the price of 820 is the same as 8x as others suggest, you would have a different headache) (btw, you might want to factor in the price of an sd card for the 8s)

i actually really like the look of the 8s, had a chance to play with it at Virgin Mobile a week or two ago, too bad im still tied down with a contract until end of this year
    The answer 2 ur question is in the last last para. The design. Had the 8S looked like the godforsaken 620, this thread wouldn't have existed. It is the design and killer looks and is still making it hard for me to look away.

Quote Originally Posted by lippidp View Post
    This, like everything else, is subjective. I don't strain at all on my 3.5" Quantum.
    I know it is a subjective. But anyone who might have gone from a bigger screen to a smaller one could chime in...like U said, the web browser page just looked fine. But my issue would be Word, as I would sometimes be working on it in trains while commuting.

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    The answer 2 ur question is in the last last para. The design. Had the 8S looked like the godforsaken 620, this thread wouldn't have existed. It is the design and killer looks and is still making it hard for me to look away.
    That is also subjective. To me 620 looks really good, specially at its price point. I would take 620(or any other Nokia WP) any day over 8S considering the Nokia support. Looks are deceptive often.;)

Global Posts
    1,504 Global Posts
    Looks are deceptive often.;)
    Well said.
    Now it is just the price. There are a few people here who are complaining about the memory whereas others aren't. It is honestly confusing me. I am dead sure I am not going to install 30000 apps. I don't have the money nor the time to tinker with them. But what I WILL SURELY use the phone for is reading a lot of web articles/tech sites/news articles/ and work on MS Word whilst commuting (you know how cranky bosses can get right? :P ) So, if there won't be an issue with these things, I am game for 8S.

But on the other hand, the 820 has some really really good things that are making it hard for me to ignore it. FFC, 1.5 GHz dual core, 1GB RAM etc etc...Oh and bigger screen...so I hope u know where I am coming from.. :)

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Well said.
    Now it is just the price. There are a few people here who are complaining about the memory whereas others aren't. It is honestly confusing me. I am dead sure I am not going to install 30000 apps. I don't have the money nor the time to tinker with them. But what I WILL SURELY use the phone for is reading a lot of web articles/tech sites/news articles/ and work on MS Word whilst commuting (you know how cranky bosses can get right? :P ) So, if there won't be an issue with these things, I am game for 8S.

But on the other hand, the 820 has some really really good things that are making it hard for me to ignore it. FFC, 1.5 GHz dual core, 1GB RAM etc etc...Oh and bigger screen...so I hope u know where I am coming from.. :)
    Problem with memory management on HTC 8S
    How do I free up phone storage space?!! Is there a way??

Well said.

Memory is a serious issue. The operating system takes up a significant amount of memory. Apps can not be installed on micro-SD cards. So if you only have a low amount of memory you will be able to do the core features, you won't be able to download maps or a lot of ApS.

Global Posts
    1,504 Global Posts
    Also, what is this thing I am hearing of "resetting" and "format" the 8S? Does it mean a hard reset? And how many times does one have to do it?
    again, just browsing and surfing, and NOT installing apps will fill up space I am guessing?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast