Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree129Likes
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,429 Global Posts
    Here's something else I really like about WP8. Compare the 2 screens. Such beautiful integration.

Normal mobile phone call:

Skype Call:

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    HeyCori and Laura Knotek like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Newell View Post
    For me its everything. Literally:
    Microsoft itself: The only company in the IT industry that you can truly trust. they are not going to bring out a new product in a years time and advertise It in a way that makes your one year old product looks ancient and inferior (Apple Im looking at you), nor are they going to use your information and sell it onto 3rd party people just to send you junk mail (hello Google)
    Reliability: A phone is a working tool, something that should get the job done with ease, dependability and should be pleasing and a joy to use. Exactly what WP is. Smooth, sophisticated, reliable, quick, efficient, safe, the list goes on
    MS Eco system: The fact that virtually all of Microsofts products will interact with windows phone. Xbox, Windows 7 and 8, bing search all speak to one and other. Its a very good integration and it work.
    Marketing: In the beginning WP marketing wasn't all to shout about as such but now, they are great. Getting celebrities to promote their products in a fun, stylish, classy and easy to understand way.
    The tiles: Best way to get notified for everything. Its not shoving it in your face but it let you know whats going on.
    Its beautiful. Microsoft is a decent company providing ground breaking stuff. They are now picking up lost ground from 10 years ago. Good for them.
    +1 Great post, almost exactly how I feel.
    White Lumia 920 -- AT&T
    Oliver Newell likes this.

2 email accounts 50GB of skydrive storage free!!
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Why WP will succeed is because they got me curious and interested in a Windows Phone :D. That alone is a quite impressive feat!
    Thanked by:
    teetod 

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I have been with Windows phone since WP7 on my Focus :)
    WP is fast, snappy, intuitive, and a true joy to use.
    The user interface is elegantly designed and fluid.
    The apps for the platform are all stunning.
    I love the aesthetics of the software AND hardware. Nokia is doing big things with the Lumia line, and even greater things to come!

It's fun to be a part of a growing mobile platform that actually has A LOT to offer.
    iOS is just an app drawer (apps on apps on apps). No innovation and not really any big improvements. I left my iPhone behind a looooooong time ago.
    Android (oooh rooted device.... really cool....). Interface is clunky and not unified. Too many features thrown together that aren't used and take away processing power and battery. Just got rid of the Galaxy S 3.
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    Integration with XBOX, Windows 8, XBOX Music, Skydrive, and Outlook Email. Its like they were made for each other....
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    What I love about WP8:

1. OneNote and it's integration with my Windows 8 Desktop
    2. Office
    3. Integration with SkyDrive
    4. Rooms (VERY useful for me and the hubby)
    5. Live Tiles
    6. Total integration of calendar/contacts/ToDo's with Desktop
    7. Xbox music - all purchases sync with desktop
    8. Fresh, clean and responsive
    9. Low-light pictures with camera
    Connie L - Windows Phone 8 always
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    I think I stuck with Microsoft by accident.

I was never a Microsoft fan, I don't own any stock and I never saw a reason to cheer lead for them. I've been using computers since elementary school, playing Oregon Trail on the Mac. Got a Windows PC and didn't care one bit about the politics behind tech companies, I just thought computers were cool.

It was right after Windows XP that I started to care about the computer market. Vista dropped and the world went crazy. I, however, upgraded my computer from XP to Vista with no problems. I understood how driver problems could cause frustration but was confused by the amount of hatred that people were spewing at Microsoft. I soon realized just how long people had been spewing that hate. But whatever, I enjoyed my Vista and DreamScene (because DreamScene was awesome).

And thus I had my Windows PC.

Many years ago Microsoft teamed with Sega to bring Windows CE to the Dreamcast. It was nothing special. Back in the day we were rocking the Dreamcast, PS2, N64 and all the classic systems in our household. Then I hear that Microsoft was entertaining the console market... yawn! And their big exclusive title is Halo... go on. As you all know, Halo was gangbusters. And it wasn't just Halo, I had a lot of fun with the first Xbox, slowly falling out of favor with the PS2 and eventually the PS3.

Thus, I had to get a Xbox 360.

I skipped the iPod craze. I decided to wait because many reviewers said that the iPod had inferior audio quality to other MP3 players on the market like iRiver and Creative. And I definitely wasn't a fan of using iTunes. So again I waited and that's when I hear that Microsoft was going to enter the MP3 market with the Zune. It was pretty slick and the Zune Pass was great. I spent a lot of college campus time listening to my Zune. I eventually bought (and still own) my Zune HD. And while it's a shame that the Zune HD wasn't more popular, at least the Zune Pass continues to live. In fact, I'm grandfathered into 10 free songs a month.

And what a great time it was listening to MP3s on the go.

So phone time (and the reasons I love WP7/8). For starters, I didn't want to carry two devices. I was already doing that with my feature phone and Zune HD. But what could I buy that would eliminate my need for a second device and allow me to keep my Zune Pass? iPhone? Nope. Android? Oh heck no! Android devices around that time were terrible. My experience with the Motorola Droid confirmed that. BlackBerry/WebOS? Nope! That's when I hear that from the ashes of Windows Mobile and Kin that Microsoft was releasing Windows Phone with Zune Pass support.

I was a simple man back then. It had Zune, Internet and it was a phone. Sold, right? Well Microsoft has managed to satisfy most of my major smartphone needs in one device. I listen to music all the time, especially in my cubicle at work.

-Zune Pass

I had recently searched to Bing and preferred it over Google. And according to a study released today, I'm not alone.

-Bing integration

I use Microsoft Word, a lot, both for personal and business use. I recently became entrenched in Excel, a program I didn't know much about at first but now we're tied to the hip.

-Office built-in

Microsoft was giving away 25GB of free storage with Hotmail/Live. I, liking free storage, created a (few) Live accounts. And syncing everything via SkyDrive, that was just obvious.

-SkyDrive on my Xbox/Phone/PC

From there it's all about Microsoft's award winning UI design. The Live Tiles are fresh, easily viewable, customizable arrangements, fast, fluid, easy-to-use and the OS packs a ton of stuff right out of the box. I haven't checked recently but I have anywhere between 50-60 apps installed, not a lot by any means. But I have exactly what I want and need. I know, Windows Phone isn't perfect, syncing needs fixing (granted I haven't synced since the latest software update), and several other things need to be ironed out. More apps need to come, broken apps need to be fixed, and more menu options would be nice. But the OS as a whole and Microsoft's overall ecosystem is more than enough to make me really admire Windows Phone 8 and what's coming in the future.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Totally agree with the above post. Especially about the future. I know there are bugs at the moment, and the three screen concept isn't as smooth as we would like. But I can see what they are going for, and I have no doubt they will get there.

Just in my immediate family, my family and my wife's family. We are in different stages of Win8 and WP8 integration. Some WPs, some Win8 on laptops, a surface and even a couple of iphones. But with the skydrive and the app for the iphone, everyone can access anything we choose to put out there. Plus someone is learning something new that one of the components does every day and tells the others about it. My sister in law wants to get rid of her work phone and get a WP but her job pays her bill and told her that she couldn't get one because they must be able to remote wipe. I told her hold on, let me check around here. And sure enough found out that you can remote wipe with EAS or using the find my phone page. She's going back to her IT and hoping to make the switch.

So it's not just all the cool things it does now, it's also what it's going to be able to do.
    HeyCori and Laura Knotek like this.

It's the little things that makes WP OS different and stands out from the rest.

The live tiles flipping at different intervals
    The butter smooth animation when you go in and out of an app
    How texts and contents are delivered when you swipe left or right

We as humans love familiarities but we desperately desire little changes and that's what WP does

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I think of it this way - Microsoft has laid down a solid foundation for a smartphone o/s, but it's only in its infancy stages right now so there is incredible growth potential for the ecosystem. You have to remember the o/s is about six months old and if you think Microsoft is thinking WP8 is complete, you're sadly mistaken. Microsoft is moving ALL of their products ahead and they seem to be deadly serious about this platform.
    My next phone...
    MikeSo likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal_planet View Post
    I think of it this way - Microsoft has laid down a solid foundation for a smartphone o/s, but it's only in its infancy stages right now so there is incredible growth potential for the ecosystem. You have to remember the o/s is about six months old and if you think Microsoft is thinking WP8 is complete, you're sadly mistaken. Microsoft is moving ALL of their products ahead and they seem to be deadly serious about this platform.
    This is exactly why I'm willing to say they're a pretty good bet. They appear to be taking this much more seriously than WM or WP7 now because they know the cards are on the table and it's all about mobile these days. I predict 3 things are going to happen over the next two years:
    1. MS will move forward with their "3 screens" strategy and tie their phones with Windows PC's more tightly than anyone else will manage to when it comes to both work and play software products and services. They're just starting and it's only been a few months.
    2. Apple is going to make those people who think a company as rich as them, with a top shelf full time design team ISN'T going to pull a surprise refresh to the UI of iOS choke on their coffee.
    3. The above two factors are going to shift the mobile OS duopoly to MS+Apple where it currently is in the PC world. Despite their current monstrous marketshare I strongly believe Google Android has peaked now, and MS's new strategy of using their massive Windows presence to springboard people towards their mobile devices is going to pay off - not overnight, but over the next couple of years. That's how MS does everything. Slowly, methodically, but they almost always get what they want eventually. It's kinda creepy actually how they just slowly wear you down until you're all buying their stuff lol.

On a side note, now that Google have angered Apple, MS and BB over the last year in regards to Google products not playing nice on non-Google phones, I can almost smell an anti-trust suit coming like it did back in the day when MS got too big for their britches.
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    Some bullet points to add to the above:

• As has been mentioned a million times, the UI is very fast and fluid. I think it ties with iOS for 1st place in this regard.
    • text selection for copy/paste is WAY easier than Android and BB10. Can't speak for iOS, I don't do Apple. I copy/paste text a LOT on my phones. This isn't an eye popping wow factor feature, but sometimes the boring little details can become pretty important.
    • Sharing on WP8 is only rivalled by Android. Both offer you a list of all installed apps. Nobody else does this
    • The UI is highly polished even once you go deeper into it. Some OS's only look good on the homescreens but then get messy further into different areas of the phone like contacts, dialer, settings etc. WP8 did a great job with Look and Feel inside the UI and not just on the homescreen.
    • I'm not a big fan of "openness" as I used to be. Back in the 90's when MS had this rep as a big evil giant monopoly the openness movement had more merit. Nowadays computing is simply just more secure on MS and Apple walled gardens. You'll be extremely hard pressed to find larger companies saying they're comfy with you hooking your Android Phone up to the network ;)
    Thanked by:
    For me it's mainly on how well it syncs with other windows 8 computers. It even installed the windows phone 8 sync application on my computer on its own
    It's nice to have the same feel on my phone that it does on my laptop/tablet.

Global Posts
    434 Global Posts
    Ok, so I didn't have time to scroll through 4 pages of comments, but I think the live tiles are sooo unique...i really hope they keep it! The only reason why Microsoft caught my eye was the Live tiles and the custom theme colors. I was starting to resent traditional BlackBerry, Android, and IOS app icons. WP filled that need for newness and uniqueness that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Great job whoever invented live tiles! :)
    I have no loyalties. I've had a PC, Mac, Ipad, Android Tablet, iPhone and Windows phone. I honestly believe windows will only succeed in areas where there is demand for cheaper products. Of all the devices I have had there has been none more reliable than Apple's products. They are simply the best. Right now I have an 8x and I cant wait for the new iPhone to come out.

I really hope Windows will succeed because I do hate paying that "apple tax" but right now its worth the extra fee for a product that is simply reliable and superior.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,429 Global Posts
    Thanks to WizTiles I am now able to have my netball and cheerleader friends right on my home screen, ready to go whenever I hit the start button. Even better is that I can get to their websites by tapping the tile. Small but very personal.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    Thanks to WizTiles I am now able to have my netball and cheerleader friends right on my home screen, ready to go whenever I hit the start button. Even better is that I can get to their websites by tapping the tile. Small but very personal.
    They addressed my concern, and for the next update, they said they will include a feature for splitting pictures in double wide tiles :D

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    I agree with a lot of the comments above. if you come on board with WP8, you need to be prepared to go thru the growing pains but I truly think it is worth it, especially for families that want to share info (Rooms). As one poster stated, some of the apps need to grow and become more robust and others need some fine tuning but the OS as a whole is great. I love the live tiles, the bright squares and the fluid sideways movement. The whole package is just nice to work with. There is absolutely no getting around the fact that if you have a Windows 8 Desktop, this OS works FAR better with it. That alone makes it worth it to me. Might I also add that their current commercial featuring the iPhone and Galaxy S3 is just awsome?

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Archambault1 View Post
    I have no loyalties. I've had a PC, Mac, Ipad, Android Tablet, iPhone and Windows phone. I honestly believe windows will only succeed in areas where there is demand for cheaper products. Of all the devices I have had there has been none more reliable than Apple's products. They are simply the best. Right now I have an 8x and I cant wait for the new iPhone to come out.

I really hope Windows will succeed because I do hate paying that "apple tax" but right now its worth the extra fee for a product that is simply reliable and superior.
    Those are good reasons but I will never have one for two reasons - 1) You have to jump thru to many darn hoops every time you need something fixed (often having topay for it) and 2) I find the OS with its row after row of icons unbeleivably boring. it just isn't good enough to give me a good running phone and a zillion apps. Apple used to be the "wow" guys and now they're nothing more than the "yawn" guys. I want/need different, exciting, entertaining and above all else NOT boring. Oh and having more than one phone to choose from would be really nice.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,429 Global Posts
    So, I decided to link my SkypeIn numbers (on 2 separate Skype contact cards) to an Outlook contact card for them (so all 3 cards merged into one card thanks to the three linked contact cards), and set a custom ringtone on the Outlook one. I rung my phone from my SkypeIn number. Custom ringtone played. Now that's nice. There's still more which I think needs to be done which I'll post about in the other thread, but this is a fantastic start.

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I'm sure its been mentioned that apps for business such as Citrix or even basic feature such as VPN needs to be in WP.

WP has a chance here to solidify its place in the mobile space but they need to really market the various products as one - office, SkyDrive and music for a low price to drive up sales.

These products alone makes it compelling to own a WP vs a BlackBerry.

the way I like WP so much is: my phone, I choose what I want to see...
    fashion, way cool.

nOt like APPLE and ADROID

1. Live tiles (Calendar, Photos, Weather).

2. Fresh UI: start screen interface where I can put only oftenly accessed apps (used iOS up to iOS 6, it's getting old).

3. Low-light capable camera.

4. Offline maps (Nokia Here Maps).

5. XBox games, e.g.: Wordament.

6. Mid-range hardware/price availability (Lumia 620 for about $260 in Indonesia).

Oh, last but not least:

7. Skydrive 7GB cloud storage with ability to share photos/videos to public with a simple browser-friendly link (used it to share 4-yr old son dancing videos to his grandpa).

Go Nokia/Microsoft!!!

PS. Next upgrade would be upper-range hardware/price (like 920) in 2-3 years. That is of course, if I managed to convince my wife that I've made a fortune somewhere else to cover for the price.. :D
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Coming from Android devices. I must say that my Nokia 720 handset with Windows Phone 8 is the best! Comparing Nokia "big screen" devices to Samsung "big devices" with the Android OS. Nokia is much more easier to operate then with the Samsung S3 for example. You can manage to get away with one hand operation on the Nokia, but with the Samsung running Android...it could be a difficult task to do if you have smaller or even normal hands. Windows Phone is just a rocker!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast