Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 41 of 41
Like Tree20Likes
  1. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by XENOPHOS View Post
    Don't u think WP should have its own strength to pull crowds? Skydrive, XBOX, Facebook+Twitter integration, Nokia's camera on the 920(forgetting what it's called). I know it's an uphill task, but hey...worth a shot.
    @XENOPHOS, it's called PureView 2.

    What I don't understand about Instagram is this:
    1. It's owned by Facebook. Microsoft hold a stake in Facebook. (That's as far as I know.)
    2. WP8 has some of the best camera phones available. I'm talking about the 8X and the 920 (second only to the 808 PureView).
    However:
    1. Lenses compete with Instagram. Where? In the filter part of the app.
    2. WP8 handles sharing photos excellently, to a point that you wouldn't need an app.

    Microsoft is trying to attract apps to Windows Phone when the functionality is already acheived by the OS or the Microsoft counterparts. Instagram is a perfect example of that.
    Last edited by WanderingTraveler; 12-31-2012 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Spelling and Capitalization
  2. ianwasheretoo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    #27  
    so true! Overrated apps are the ones that make an OS popular... we need Instagram so that 10 million people will give Windows Phone a chance too :)
  3. Squatting Hen's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    833 Posts
    Global Posts
    966 Global Posts
    #28  
    Here is the deal...if you are trying to convert someone to a new device, you need to be sure that the new device has the most popular apps. Some apps are more important than others, and it seems instagram is one of the important ones. I personally don't use twitter, facebook instagram or any of those other ones, but my sister in law does. My brother got her the 920 for Chrstmas and asked me about instagram. I let him know that it is currently not on WP. He said that he will probably have to return the 920 since she uses instagram and facebook all of the time on her iphone. I am sure they will just get the iphone 5 now.
  4. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatting Hen View Post
    Here is the deal...if you are trying to convert someone to a new device, you need to be sure that the new device has the most popular apps. Some apps are more important than others, and it seems instagram is one of the important ones. I personally don't use twitter, facebook instagram or any of those other ones, but my sister in law does. My brother got her the 920 for Chrstmas and asked me about instagram. I let him know that it is currently not on WP. He said that he will probably have to return the 920 since she uses instagram and facebook all of the time on her iphone. I am sure they will just get the iphone 5 now.
    Man I feel sorry for them .. Switching to the iPhone 5 is embarrassing.. Haha
  5. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    #30  
    Instagram or no Instagram, Microsoft and its OEM partners need to step it up in convincing people why they should try Windows Phone. Look what Samsung is doing with their Galaxy S3 and NFC. Granted, I wouldn't base my phone purchase on whether or not it has NFC, but Samsung has, what, 4 or 5 commercials about transferring files by touching phones? You gotta get the general public to go "Wow, that's cool!" even if it's not that big of a deal to us geeks. When will Microsoft do that in a Windows Phone commercial?
    Thanked by:
    man1up 
  6. based_graham's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    626 Posts
    #31  
    They always have they don't show things like NFC but they show things like low light photography and quicker access to the people important to you. Check out the Meet your match commercials.

    Actually MS and Nokia are putting in work I scene Windows Phone stands at my local mall and more ads overall. The only problem MS is having is working the trenches. The battle is won at the sales end of things you can have the best advertising, the best features, the best marketing but if the battle is lost at the trenches it's a hard uphill climb.

    So retail should be MS #1 priority in 2013 its not that hard to fix but in terms of advertising MS is doing a great job displaying WP.
  7. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,318 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,653 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    Instagram or no Instagram, Microsoft and its OEM partners need to step it up in convincing people why they should try Windows Phone. Look what Samsung is doing with their Galaxy S3 and NFC. Granted, I wouldn't base my phone purchase on whether or not it has NFC, but Samsung has, what, 4 or 5 commercials about transferring files by touching phones? You gotta get the general public to go "Wow, that's cool!" even if it's not that big of a deal to us geeks. When will Microsoft do that in a Windows Phone commercial?
    The funny thing is that it's a horrible expierence to actually pull that off. From what I can figure you need to turn on NFC, WiFi and Bluetooth to make that work. Somebody should make a commercial on how it long it really takes to send info to a random person... It would be a 10 minute commercial as they fumble through the process. :)
  8. #33  
    A very well-written and, I think, accurate article. I likely won't use instagram even after it finally lands on the platform, for the same reason I don't use Pinterest: I'm just not into it. But the user base is present and fanatical, and the point he makes about the potential user experience of instagram being "baked in" like WPs approach to other social networking tools is right on the nose. WPs core philosophy has the potential to make instagram on WP THE DEFINITIVE instagram experience. Great read. Much thanks to the OP for sharing it.
  9. mlm1950's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    477 Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    The funny thing is that it's a horrible expierence to actually pull that off. From what I can figure you need to turn on NFC, WiFi and Bluetooth to make that work. Somebody should make a commercial on how it long it really takes to send info to a random person... It would be a 10 minute commercial as they fumble through the process. :)
    That, and the fact that it takes a lot more time than just a tap to share a file as large as a video.
  10. theefman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,355 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,356 Global Posts
    #35  
    Not a lot anyone can do when the devs wont make the app, is there? Yet other developers with popular apps - Paypal, Chase, Bank of America dont seem to have a problem making apps for WP. So whats the hold up for the mighty instagram? Its not as if theres a line of telepathic WP fanboys stopping them releasing an app with their mental powers. This question would be better answered by the developer of the app itself, not by opinionated articles blaming the OS as if it is somehow resisting the app being made available for its users.
  11. mpelti's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    131 Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
    To me Instgram is an iOS social network first and foremost. Bringing the app to Windows Phone would do nothing for the platform.
    So because we chose WP8, we should sever all contact from iphone users?

    Quote Originally Posted by XENOPHOS View Post
    Don't u think WP should have its own strength to pull crowds? Skydrive, XBOX, Facebook+Twitter integration, Nokia's camera on the 920(forgetting what it's called). I know it's an uphill task, but hey...worth a shot.
    Skydrive is just another cloud service. Why would anyone choose it first, then get a Windows Phone.

    Xbox is just a bumper sticker on some games. Nothing about that branding makes a Halo 4 player care about windows phone.
    This will be my first and last Windows Phone unless Microsoft fixes the completely broken live tile / notification system.
    aubreyq likes this.
  12. bilzkh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    490 Posts
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    Not a lot anyone can do when the devs wont make the app, is there? Yet other developers with popular apps - Paypal, Chase, Bank of America dont seem to have a problem making apps for WP. So whats the hold up for the mighty instagram? Its not as if theres a line of telepathic WP fanboys stopping them releasing an app with their mental powers. This question would be better answered by the developer of the app itself, not by opinionated articles blaming the OS as if it is somehow resisting the app being made available for its users.
    Devs are definitely inclined to iOS/Android, and that's fine, but there's little reason for them to shut down WP if Microsoft offers support through finances and technical assistance. The problem (at this time) lies squarely in the hands of Microsoft, they're not being aggressive enough with WP: Right now, Microsoft needs to ensure that every single major bank that offers apps to iOS/Android users has a WP app, this is basic/fundamental stuff. Microsoft needs to ensure that every public transit firm that has an app for iOS/Android has an app for WP; same for universities, malls, stores, restaurants, etc. Money needs to be spent on this platform in order to drive adoption.
  13. SinisterDuck's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    93 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    #38  
    We're all preaching to the choir here. It's Instagram that's keeping the boat from coming to the dock. If you want Instagram on WP8, yell at them, not MS. Microsoft would welcome it with open arms if they developed the app. And at some point, I'm sure they will.

    And I can't help thinking that if a person doesn't buy a phone because it's missing a particular app, then WOW. Yes, it would be nice if WP8 had every app, but that's not the sandbox we're playing in. If the folks complaining on here instead complained to Instagram, it might light a fire under them to know how much they're wanted.
    Thanked by:
  14. ohgood's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    655 Posts
    Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    The funny thing is that it's a horrible expierence to actually pull that off. From what I can figure you need to turn on NFC, WiFi and Bluetooth to make that work. Somebody should make a commercial on how it long it really takes to send info to a random person... It would be a 10 minute commercial as they fumble through the process. :)
    look at what bump has been doing for a few years.

    or Samsung with beam.

    using a different antennae isnt revolutionary.
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
  15. jhguth's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    580 Posts
    Global Posts
    587 Global Posts
    #40  
    Skydrive is just another cloud service. Why would anyone choose it first, then get a Windows Phone.
    because its the best cloud service
  16. pavvento's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    393 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,419 Global Posts
    #41  
    I think any big app that WP gets is important, but I think that many people also don't utilize the rich categories in the photos app. I understand that with Instagram you're not limited to your facebook friends, but I think the 'what's new' in photos is a great photo browser built right into WP for many social networks.
    ----
    My Device History circa 2007:

    Nokia 1020 > Nokia 920 > Nokia 900 > HTC Titan > HP Pre 3 > HP Veer > Palm Pre 2 > HTC Evo > Palm Pre > iPhone 3G > iPhone
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Why are achievements separate in same game on Windows 8 and Windows Phone?
    By Laura Knotek in forum The "Off Topic" Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-09-2013, 04:39 PM
  2. I missed out on instagram, and now missing out on Snapchat?
    By Light Speed in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 01-26-2013, 02:51 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-10-2013, 11:01 AM
  4. 7gb SkyDrive on WP8 and 25gb with Windows live
    By wvanellis in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-29-2012, 10:39 PM

Posting Permissions

B