12-28-2012, 01:34 AM #201
- 951 Posts
I would love to be able to upload into a webpage in the browser. Be it pica or docs. Speaking of docs. Email PDF support, speaking of email, ability to edit text in forwarded emails. Would be so much easier to job search with these.. :PFrom the CO and my 8X
12-28-2012, 06:11 AM #204
- 134 Posts
- Better call divert options. The most basic call features are missing from WP8. Who wants to type GSM hash tags in order to divert when busy?!
- Call duration history / all calls duration
- Why not from the Start Screen swipe left and go straight to the dial pad? So simple.
- Share individual contact info like just e-mail address or and not the whole contact information.
- When browsing the phone store, would be nice to be able to see at a glance whether a particular app is already installed, without having to tap each one to discover and then having to go back to the previous menu.
- Second to that, if the app is already installed and I'm in the phone store, offer to launch the app right there. No-one's desperate to 'share'.
- More detail in the phone storage applet like how much space does each app take up (including saved data) and what is included in 'Other'?
- Wallet is good, it now allows you to add a PIN to stop unauthorised purchases from the store. But I'd like to set a PIN to stop any installations without my consent. The app might not be appropriate or could be a large install over cellular data.
- Import/Export/Synchronise Favourites with Microsoft account and by extension, Windows 8.
- Need a way to go back to top of page or bottom without endless scrolling.
- Option to switch data connectivity provider without having to go back to Start Screen.
- Custom SMS, alarm, voicemail and e-mail notification sounds.
- Separate volume for media, phone ringer, other notifications
- Add an option to disable hardware keys when playing games. To re-enable the keys, press power button twice and unlock again. If the screen automatically times-out during a game, the keys are still disabled when you unlock.
- Manual IP address
- Manually set Wireless AP order of preference (I know there's some built-in logic to try and guess this order, why can't I chose?)
- More Bluetooth profiles please.
- Make it an option to add an on-tile connectivity toggle for Cellular Data, BT, Wifi and NFC. Yes, there are plenty of Connectivity shortcut apps out there but all they can do is create a shortcut to the same settings menu. I want to be able to quickly toggle connectivity on/off without going to any menus. (It's one thing Android does well).
- Certificate Manager. I have to e-mail certificates to myself in order to install them on the phone? And then, I can't mange them once they are there. How is this progress?
- Phone re-name. To re-name your phone, you have to connect it to a PC first via USB. How about the ability to re-name the phone, on the phone!?
Last edited by envio; 12-28-2012 at 07:09 AM.
- 12-28-2012, 08:13 AM #206
A lot of good things especially custom notification sounds. Come on MS it's 2012 (almost 2013)!...but also add:
1) Swipe right to see favorites.
2) Swipe left for tabs or tools or other options
3) Ability to hide adress bar.
1) Ability to send (email, messaging, facebook, etc) full size pictures.
2) Ability to set a song as a ringtone from within the music app.
3) Make it easier to create playlists and have different playlists.
4) Support .wav files
1) Swiftkey anyone! (I know the thread it's only about improvements to the OS, sorry, but still...)
2) Improve predictions engine
3) Arrows to move cursor up, down, left, right
4) Ability to integrate predictions for two or more languages without having to switch langauges. Sometimes I write in spanish and english on the same text or email. It's annoying to switch back and forth. #firstworldproblem
1) Fix : Turn off the backlight of the three front buttons when watching a video.
This is for now. After breakfast I'll come back with more.
Last edited by alvarezjpr; 12-29-2012 at 12:38 PM.
12-28-2012, 01:14 PM #211
- 196 Posts
- An orientation lock only go one better than iPhone and allow a portrait lock and a landscape lock.
- Have the option of keeping the connectivity icons always displayed.
- Have an option of having the battery % displayed in addition to the icon.
- An option to be able to calibrate where the typing cursor gets placed relative to the touch point. Right now on my Lumia 920 the cursor is too far above where my finger is and it is to the right a bit so it is difficult to get it to place near the left edge of the screen.
- Related to the one above, add the option to pull up a cursor pad in the keyboard.
- While it is nice to have a theme color I would like to be able to choose the colors of the individual tiles.
12-28-2012, 02:05 PM #212
- 26 Posts
I have come from an iPhone 4s (now the wires) to a Lumina 920. Previously I have had the Lumina 800 and my son has a Droid.
I love my 920, and today I received my free wireless charger and a Brodit mount for the car.
However there is some basic functionality that is needed to allow WP8 to compete.
1. Custom tones across the board. SMS, alarm etc.
2. Do not disturb mode (Silent sounds, and no push between defined hours)
3. Notifications bar.
That's about it. Who needs 700,000 apps. Not me. Good apps will come along. Most are already here and I am happy.
I hope MS gets the basics right, and here in the UK the Lumina is being pushed very hard with bumper ads. People recognise the phone, so something is working.
12-28-2012, 02:21 PM #213
- 55 Posts
12-28-2012, 02:37 PM #214
- 53 Posts
I agree with you completely, Jips. The number of apps available is so overrated. It's basic functionality where the platform comes up short. Here's a few more: option to delete on handheld only; your choice what size photo to attach; a usable calendar app, a better dialer (no speed dials?), vibrate only notification option, a better music player, and a clock. All that being said, love the phone (Lumia 920) and am sticking with it. Just would have loved it more if it could do some of these basic things (coming from a BlackBerry.)
- 12-28-2012, 05:01 PM #215
Hey everyone. There is a current feature request on the WP uservoice forum that looks to provide better Android-like NFC functionality. Please vote for it, and maybe we can have improved NFC functionality in the next update.
NFC tagg system changes
12-28-2012, 05:23 PM #216
- 60 Posts
1. PICTURES OVER TILES
for example, at the moment all we have is accent colors for the tiles. make it so we can put a picture over our tiles.
this is a 3rd party app wiztiles, this is what i would like to see but instead of completely covering the whole tile, text would show up over it, just like the normal color accent. think of it as an "artistic accent" theme to the tiles.
personally i think a cut up image looks much better than the background image on an iphone or android phone
2. MULTIPLE "HOME SCREENS"
I noticed it does get a bit boring, and i also find my self looking for apps i want to use, in the apps list, even though they are somewhere on my home screen.
having just 1 homes is kind of like the start button on windows 7 pc's. it has the most used pinned and all the others in the programs list. the only downside is having multiple screens would be "more like android and ios".
having more than 1 would be much better and useful than having a 2 foot long start screen with 100 apps on it.
3. CHOOSE WHAT THE SEARCH AND BACK CAPACITIVE BUTTONS DO AND HOW THEY WORK, GIVE US OPTION TO DISABLE THEM.
using the phone for just one day i found my self having to press the back button... a lot. the reason is the search button, my palm keeps touching it and it does get quite annoying when trying to text or make a call or just using the phone 1 handed. disabling the buttons would turn the unused disables buttons off.
choosing what the search capacitive button can be something like instead of bing, it takes me to my apps list, "search apps" button instead of search bing.
tell me what you think.
12-28-2012, 05:33 PM #217
- 60 Posts
Last edited by dookie dave; 12-28-2012 at 06:54 PM.
12-28-2012, 08:37 PM #218
- 5 Posts
The ability to play videos while the phone's screen is off.
I used to use that feature on Apple Devices since 2008. I really miss that on Windows Phone 8. Some podcasts are only video, I used to put the iPhone in sleep then double tap the home button to continue playing the video but with the screen off. If I am mistaken and this is available on Windows Phone 8 please let me know how to do that. I am using a Lumia 822.
Add the ability to change the default search
I want to use Google Search instead of Bing.
Why is the Voice Dictation only available on Texting, Email and Search? Every other device offers Voice Dictation systemwide. I can't search the Store with speech.
Add more features to TellMe
I for one never cared about Siri. I used to think it was a waste of time. However Google Now and Siri offer some useful features that TellMe still doesn't have.
1. The ability to read text messages back to you
2. The ability to read Emails back to you
3. The ability to Instruct TellMe to play a song
4. The ability to ask the Weather (I know Live Tiles helps you but when driving I rather keep my eyes on the road)
5. Much more...
Windows Phone 8 compatible accessories
I love using 3 button headphones on my old iPhone. Trying to find a compatible version for Windows Phone 8 is a absolute Nightmare. I love Klipsh but sadly they still don't offer a version for WP8. I hate Monster as they are a horrible brand of Sound Products. They make the Nokia Purity Headphones, which means I am not buying them. I was forced to go with NOCS, never heard of them until this forum posted info on them. Microsoft Store doesn't offer much help either. They show off headphones that don't have 3 buttons.
Better app support
I need my Spotify, still don't have it yet.
I don't want to convert all of my FLACs to WMA Lossless. I have a 300+GB collection all entirely FLAC. WAV is about double in size which is why I don't use it.
Will post more, but other than that Windows Phone 8 is really great.
12-28-2012, 09:14 PM #219
- 136 Posts
I finally got my Yellow Lumia 920 the other day, 4 days after Christmas, many days after they said I would have it, but that is another story. Going thru the fun of setting it up and seeing all the new features and enjoying the beauty of the device a few things came to mind.
I still cannot organize, shift, move, and create new folders in the photo app which I have always thought since getting my Arrive 2 years ago. The other thing is I love that I can change my ringtone, but still, I cannot alter a sms or email alert/notification sound to my liking. Anyone else feeling this?
Bonus: After reading all of this stuff on the 920 the last few months I think...
It is not heavy.
It is light and sexy as ****(finally got to play with all the new phones over Xmas and the 8X is still the sexiest)
I don't find the size too large at all. Coming from an htc Arrive and a man with small hands.
I don't feel like I could break glass or crack rock with it.
The camera is defenitely stunning.
WP8 still needs work but is wonderful.
-DocActual location: Inside the system itself.
Vaporwaremagpolydilithium- What Surface is actually made of.
12-28-2012, 10:39 PM #221
- 7 Posts
I thought I'd just write a short review of Windows PHone 8, because to be honest it was really something i wanted to believe in.
I got the phone three weeks ago and loved the interface and the tiles and all. But as I started using it, lots of things just started to fall short.
1) I am a google ecosystem guy, so initially this really wasnt a problem in terms of syncing from WP8 to Google, but what I found really bad was that actually when I tried to migrate to the Windows eco system, this was tedious and laborious. Sure it was possible, but not simple. Actually, scratch that, it wasn't possible, because when I tried to migrate all my emails to outlook.com, outlook.com just stopped downloading it after a while, and that was after 2 attempts.
2) So even if I didn't even want to migrate my google ecosystem, the outlook/microsoft ecosystem just didn't work for me no matter how hard I tried. Microsoft somehow hasn't seemed to think any of this through. Sure the outlook.com email platform is very nice online, but things like Calendar just looked horrendous. and outlook.com was launched in August 2012. It's bad enough that it wasn't updated together, but after 4 months, hotmail calendar looked like it was from 1990! and, well, WP8 didn't even have a search function in the calendar.
3) Major apps for WP8 were all buggy. Whatsapp (sometimes messages got lost when sending and receiving a few at the same time, cannot send video from the camera roll, video capturing in whatsapp also buggy), Facebook (doesnt filter properly, and basically does not compare to iOS and android in terms of functions/usability) and so on and so forth.
4) WP8 itself lacked basic obvious things. Why could I not select multiple videos in camera roll. Why could i not delete multiple videos. Syncing with skydrive often was left wanting. Email threads often got confused in the mail app. Live tiles were buggy and didn't update properly.
5) And best of all, as I was going to sell my Lumia 920, the reset option in the phone was buggy and basically turned it into a brick. I also had some problems with the charging icon remaining on even when not charging. Not only that but as I tried to sync my WP8 with my mac it couldn't because i didn't have OSX 10.7 (which came out only a year ago) which really summed up the whole experience for me. Eventually it was the same old Windows through and through... amazingly inefficient and user unfriendly.
It's weird, but after all these years, Windows is still Windows, buggy as ever and just bizarre. I was prepared to overlook maybe a couple of these things, but after a while (only 3 weeks actually) i just couldn't take it.
Eventually I traded my Lumia 920 for a Nexus 4 and sure, the build quality isn't fantastic but who cares, it WORKS as a phone. and the customisability, well, it's android.
I'm sad to say that after using an Android phone for the first time ever (always had been an iPhone user for the past 6 years), I actually do not regret it, and am relieved i managed to get off the Windows Phone ecosystem. I won't go on about how good android is, but i just want to say i am very sorry that WP just didn't work out. Not solely because of Windows PHone itself, but really because of all the things that surround the ecosystem which are meant to work.
Please don't bash me, i guess some people will say "good riddance, we only want Windows lovers" but i really wanted to, i did, i tried. and i am really trying to be objective about the whole experience!
- 12-28-2012, 11:22 PM #222
Seperate media volume
SWYPE. Please Microsoft.
Custom text alerts, as well as custom vibrate alerts
Individual tile colors, not just a theme.
Native smart dial. Yes RapDial is there, but still
Tile divider (super thin tile with label that lets you categorize your apps)
Separate back button and forward button for IE10, the capacitive back button should be used for exiting the browser. Much better for exiting the browser w/o having to press it a billion times.
Haptic feedback on keyboard
Better uses for the search button
Right now I'm having a little buyers remorse with my 920, I feel like I should've gone with android. But, I always like to root for the underdog. Add these features and I'll be a very happy camper.
12-29-2012, 03:16 AM #223
- 14 Posts
- Expand the Keyboard in landscape mode to use more screen real estate.
- Add Windows 8 gestures/features (I mean, come on, I thought this was obvious Microsoft?), like picture unlock, drag from the top of an app, toward the bottom of the screen to force-close an app (hitting that back button to close apps is archaic and unintuitive). When you drag to half-way down the screen, you get the task switcher, where the app gets pinned as a task in the switcher, and u can close apps in the task switcher by swiping them down. Swiping up, or tapping on it, resumes an app. What happens to the Back button? It remains, so there are two ways to get to the task-switcher now.
- Fix the view of opened apps pinned to the task switcher, so you can properly see at least 2 of your opened apps. Or, add an option for another Grid view, where you see a screenshot of the app, but in a Grid lay out, where you see several apps at once. Makes more sense, aye?
- Pressing the Search button once brings up Search, pressing and holding the Search button brings up TellMe. I think that makes more sense, as TellMe is used to find out information, the name implies it. It is a more interactive Search. This brings up the question of what happens when holding down the Home button? When you hold down the Home button, it should act as a dedicated App Launcher, where the user can set its function. So, in settings, you can set the behaviour of that button (of what App it will launch). It can be any app you choose; IE, calendar, a game, the app list, metrotube, the phone app, etc. I think it will be a great feature, to have the ability to set that as a dedicated phone app, so you don't have to go to the start screen or app list to launch the phone dialer.
- Individual and Automatic Live Tile colour switching. This is great for customisation. You can change colours of Tiles individually, or have them change holistically automatically. You never know what colour theme you'll get when you pick your phone up. This brings more customisation without sacrificing the look/feel of WP8.
- The size of the heading font can be changed between 3 sizes, small, medium and large. As it is, the font is currently set to large. But I realise some people have a grievance with this. This adds a bit more customisation, without sacrificing look/feel.
- Call Blocker.
My idea for a Notification Hub (note, I refer to it as a Hub, not a centre, in keeping with the theme of WP.) :-
Create and use a gesture that allows users to access the Notification Hub from anywhere on the phone. The Hub will have notifications in categories; Messages (sms, skype, email, tweets, facebook messages...basically any messaging service that runs on the phone), Updates (app and system updates), Downloads and whatever other category MS deems fit.
The Hub has an infinite scrolling system, like the Start Screen, where the first string of data of a message is displayed for each update, and to the right is a drop down arrow that displays the full data. For example, you get an sms message from Tom, in the Messages category, it reads "Hey man, I need to get that picture you took on..." V - With 'V' being the dropdown arrow to display the full message. You can also tap the message itself to be taken to the area of the phone that houses that message, so if its from a Skype user, Skype opens up. The very bottom of the message has a few icons/options that relate to the type of Notification you receive. For Texts you get Reply, Call, Delete. Updates: Update, Remind Me Later, Ignore. Downloads: Open, Delete.
The categories themselves are expandable with the little V beside them, as categories only display the last 3 Notifications for that category (So it's not cluttered like Android), and I'm sure users want a way to see all their notifications.
Swiping to the right from the Notification Hub brings up the app list. Swiping to the left carries you to the Start Screen.
What you guys think?
- 12-29-2012, 03:44 AM #224
Add more twitter and Facebook integration into the people hub.
Call block feature
More camera options.....
Kinect and Xbox features for gaming in including better games.
Make keyboard use the excess space on the side.
Bring Zune player back.
12-29-2012, 04:24 AM #225
- 264 Posts
- Orientation Lock
- Make the live tiles actually show me notification
- Make the search more like the windows 8, so you can search from different apps etc.
- Improve the 1st party apps like facebook, twitter
- Improve Xbox music
- Better search, faster too
- Make it possible to synch from mobile to w8, not just from w8 to mobile
- Make and edit playlist
- Picture password (android have the maze, wp should have its own)
- Maybe change wallpaper behind tiles?
- Skype integration (without the app)
- Import/Synch favorites in Internet Explorer
- Like the iphone, tap on top of the screen to get to the top. Hate to scroll all the way up
- Shortcuts for wifi, cellular, bluetooth
- actually just make us able to pin settings to start screen.
- This ones for nokia; make shortcut to audio settings
About the apps, its actually not that big of the problem. The problem isnt the amount of apps wp is lacking from, the problem is all the apps people actually want. And from my point of view, it is some big name games, instagram, spotify, youtube, snapchat etc. The big names. If i were microsoft, just send some money and say, make an app within a week! NOW!
- By MrBacon42 in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 1Last Post: 03-04-2012, 04:54 PM
- By shubhashish in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 47Last Post: 01-23-2012, 09:51 PM
- By avaryj in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 40Last Post: 11-13-2011, 12:16 AM
- By Pronk in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 8Last Post: 10-16-2011, 12:26 AM