Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 72
Like Tree42Likes
  1. DigitalDK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
       #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    People are assholes and simple minded. They think the big corporate company they use don't do any of these things and that only the other big corporate company does. ****ing idiots on the internet, I swear I hate them. I signed the petition.
    My thoughts exactly! If you're on the internet you're already ****ed lol.
  2. NickyNichols's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    43 Posts
    #27  
    What does google produce that we are so desperately lacking?
    cedarlog and WPenvy like this.
  3. Napocensis's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    88 Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDK View Post
    So you don't use FB or Bing or Twitter or any services of the like I presume either?
    You are correct, I do not use FB or Twitter. I can keep in touch with family and friends withouth public social media.
    I do use search engines as I cannot do without them, but I general I am not logged on, so tracking is minimal.
  4. DigitalDK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
       #29  
    So GPS is turned off and Microsoft doesn't collect any data at all from your Windows Phone where you are logged into your Microsoft account at all times? That would also mean you probably don't use any apps or email on your phone correct?
  5. Chregu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,819 Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDK View Post
    Petitions never work huh? So if I were to Google successful petitions the search list would be empty then? Makes sense.
    I didn't say petitions never work, I just said I don't think a petition will work in this case. Google is Google, they now more about us, than we know ourselves, and they certainly now the smartphone market. I also believe the decision to not provide programs for WP is more due to political reasons, than to market share.

    But if I am wrong, good for all of us. I'd welcome Google on WP8, as well as I like seeing Microsoft also investing in iOS and Android, even tough I would never use an iPhone.
  6. DigitalDK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
       #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimateone View Post
    Petitions never work
    Chegru this is who I meant, not you for some reason it didn't quote.

    To Ultimateone: So what you're telling me is that if I were to Google "Successful petitions" the search would return nothing?
  7. DigitalDK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
       #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickyNichols View Post
    What does google produce that we are so desperately lacking?
    I like G+ and would like an app that isn't just a wrapper, I also use GTalk and it would be nice to get an official client, it would also be nice to access Google Drive. They provide a lot of services that a lot of people use, regardless of whether you don't odds are 10+ people you know do.
  8. stephen_az's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    683 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDK View Post
    I just want to say the level of paranoia people have in this thread is pretty impressive we're talking Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory paranoid (except you guys have no proof of Google turning evil). Regardless of where you go on the internet or what you use to access it you're leaving a trace behind. If you have a cell phone you're leaving a trace and information is being sold about what you do with it, the list goes on and on,while I don't use all Google services a few would be nice to have.
    Google is not turning evil - it has been about as evil as the tech world gets since the day it went public. Its issues with privacy violations, harvesting data from non-Google customers, manipulation of markets by dumping products at below cost, copyright violations, patent violations, etc., etc., are hardly imaginary. Anyone who cannot see the facts about Google is wearing some seriously rose colored glasses. Quite frankly, the only thing Google really demonstrates is the extent to which people will sign away their privacy rights (and more) if someone gives you free or cheap stuff, even if the stuff is mostly Walmart quality garbage. BTW, the statement everyone does something certainly does not excuse the company that has made such abuses an art form.
    Napocensis and IDCL like this.
  9. howie's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,156 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderzWPC View Post
    I see this as a good sign for Microsoft, they claim there is not enough market share. Yet with sales growing on the WP8 platform and oh I dunno ms owning 90% of the OS market, this is a lie. Google now sees MS approaching their market, the mobile market and the search engine market. This is there way of fighting the competition. There goal here is not to drop support, but a move to tell people looking for phones don't buy ms products because our stuff isn't there.
    Not sure I agree with you. Microsoft may have a large share of desktop/laptop OSes, but not mobile devices (phones/tablets). In fact, that is an extremely low percent (for now).
    I do not think Google pulled EAS because it wanted to be "a jerk" and screw over anyone not using an Android. But, in my opinion, it was a financial decision. Everyone has to license EAS and it may be a large toll for them, based on the millions of users they have using Gmail. That is the #1 email service, so think of the fees they could be paying out per user"

    Exchange ActiveSync Protocol
  10. DigitalDK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
       #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen_az View Post
    Google is not turning evil - it has been about as evil as the tech world gets since the day it went public. Its issues with privacy violations, harvesting data from non-Google customers, manipulation of markets by dumping products at below cost, copyright violations, patent violations, etc., etc., are hardly imaginary. Anyone who cannot see the facts about Google is wearing some seriously rose colored glasses. Quite frankly, the only thing Google really demonstrates is the extent to which people will sign away their privacy rights (and more) if someone gives you free or cheap stuff, even if the stuff is mostly Walmart quality garbage. BTW, the statement everyone does something certainly does not excuse the company that has made such abuses an art form.
    So what major corporation do you utilize that doesn't harvest your personal information or likes or what have you? I'd be very interested to know. There isn't a thing on the internet that isn't collecting some form of data for some reason. We're all being manipulated by the system and the only way around it is to not use technology. We're valuable assets I get that, but there's no company who does what Google does and offers the quality of products Google does for free without doing the exact same thing Google does.
    Thanked by:
  11. Napocensis's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    88 Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDK View Post
    So GPS is turned off and Microsoft doesn't collect any data at all from your Windows Phone where you are logged into your Microsoft account at all times? That would also mean you probably don't use any apps or email on your phone correct?
    I did not say I live in a Hutterite colony. I do drink coffee and coke. I do use the GPS when I need it, and email all the time. However, I consider MS being less evil than Google. Just my personal preference, feel free to use whoever you want.
  12. WPenvy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    248 Posts
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    #37  
    Uh... No.

    I spent 3 hours deleting the 2,000 emails i had in my inbox and also the ones in my sent folder. A few seconds deleting every contact i had stored in Gmail. And 3 mins going through all my docs on Google Drive. I closed as many accounts as i could that were linked to my gmail account.

    I'm proud to say that apart from Youtube, and the few things that use my gmail address, i'm Google-free. And it's a good thing too since they're getting rid of EAS.


    Sorry for the trollish-rant but i've washed my hands, and i encourage all of you to do the very same.

    EDIT: Forgot about chrome... I'm slowly moving back to IE, i got tired of seeing so many tailored Ad Choices after a simple search about an insurance company. -_-
  13. sdrawkcabII's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    14 Posts
    #38  
    Would you people just sign the bloody petition and hope it gets taken seriously?! I hate shortsightedness, and that's all I'm seeing here. How does signing the petition automatically put google on your phone, if you don't want it on your phone? It doesn't, it only providess the option of having Google. You don't have to install any of their apps if you don't want to.

    I swear some of you people here, with your elitist attitudes, want WP to fail. Despite what some of you do, or think, there are millions of people using Google's services, and not having these services plays a factor in them buying a new phone. So, even if not having google on your phone may not bother you, it will bother others. And a phone's success depends on its marketshare and adoption rate, so why wouldn't you want to give WP8 the best chance it has at being successful? Because, rest assured, if a lot of people don't migrate, kiss your WP good bye, and THAT will affect you. WP8 needs all the help it can get, and Microsoft so far is doing a lousy job to push this wonderful device; indeed, WP8 needs all the help it can get. So please, just sign the bloody petition.
    Thanked by:
    alvarezjpr, DigitalDK and howie like this.
  14. WPenvy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    248 Posts
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by FinsUpDNC View Post
    If you are worried about being tracked, you are right turn off your computer and your phone. What Google is doing is promoting open in marketing, but working behind the scenes to close off their ecosystem. It is starting now with EAS which just does not hurt WP8, but also iphone users. If you want push email now on your iPhone you can't use the built in mail app unless you pay for Google Apps. Pushing everything into Google + is an easy way to keep all your info in one place to sell to advertisers, and Google is an advertising company. My biggest fear is different however. Last year they made a big deal of picking one city to install "Google Fiber". Now they said they are interested in adding more areas to this service. On the face, this service seems awesome. Very fast fiber right into your home. However, we would now be allowing one company that has a lot of incentive to control where you go on the internet with that control. Once they get enough market share, why not only Google as your search engine if Yahoo doesn't pay Google to allow their users through THEIR fiber? Why not turn off YouTube competitors, or only allow streaming through Google Play and not Netflix?

    I don't like when ANY company tries to do this. Microsoft got in pretty big trouble in the 90's doing things like this. Using market share to push other products to the determent of others. Even if the Google execs right now don't plan on doing this, what happens when the stock holders realize they are sitting on another 40 billion a year of revenue if they do some of these things? They do have a fiduciary responsibility to them.

    I tell people all the time to spread their life over different companies on the internet. If you have the know how and money, I like making your own personal hub online with wordpress or squarespace and just pushing those updates to the other networks.
    Ok, your post is really bugging me. You have so many holes in your "fears" that it's not even funny.

    Firstly, net neutrality. Zing. That was easy.

    Second, MSFT had a target on it's back in those days from the smaller companies that wanted to throw stones at the giant. They didn't use their market share as you describe, they used it to squeeze cash out of their supply channels all the way down to the retail level. And it also stemmed both from others feeling like they weren't given enough info my MSFT about upcoming versions of Windows to be prepared for release and that the release of versions of windows were deliberately delayed to cause market share loss. (long multiple stories made short) No one complains about OSX ONLY having Safari installed and not asking you if you want to choose a different web browser. Nor does anyone complain about Chrome and it's browser UI (which arguably is cloud based anyway).

    Why would you "spread your life" over different companies on the internet? (I'm assuming you mean online services offered and not ISP stuff) Instead of having one company with books to parse through your info you're handing it out to more than one. If you're smart about it, it's quite easy to just pick up your stuff and move from one service to another. You'd have to keep your digital life quite organised and manageable.

    Heck you could even disconnect altogether and be done with it. That's not impossible, it's just what you chose not to do. Offline: how's it going? | The Verge

    ^if that doesn't make sense i'm sorry... it's 3am and i didn't sleep a wink the previous night
  15. DigitalDK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
       #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by sdrawkcabII View Post
    Would you people just sign the bloody petition and hope it gets taken seriously?! I hate shortsightedness, and that's all I'm seeing here. How does signing the petition automatically put google on your phone, if you don't want it on your phone? It doesn't, it only providess the option of having Google. You don't have to install any of their apps if you don't want to.

    I swear some of you people here, with your elitist attitudes, want WP to fail. Despite what some of you do, or think, there are millions of people using Google's services, and not having these services plays a factor in them buying a new phone. So, even if not having google on your phone may not bother you, it will bother others. And a phone's success depends on its marketshare and adoption rate, so why wouldn't you want to give WP8 the best chance it has at being successful? Because, rest assured, if a lot of people don't migrate, kiss your WP good bye, and THAT will affect you. WP8 needs all the help it can get, and Microsoft so far is doing a lousy job to push this wonderful device; indeed, WP8 needs all the help it can get. So please, just sign the bloody petition.
    Seriously people, you all keep saying if you don't like WP because it doesn't have the apps you want get a different phone, that's a downright terrible attitude to have towards new potential consumers and the operating system as a hole. Like it or not to succeed WP8 NEEDS to have Google's app support. Regardless of whether or not you use it SOMEONE DOES in fact MILLIONS DO, Gmail is the most popular email client, Chrome is the most popular browser on the planet, whether you feel like it's a ghost town or not people do use Google+ and it has a lot to offer compared to FB and it's constantly irritating problems. I chose WP because I love the UI and the smoothness and fluidity throughout the entire OS, I also thought I chose it because it seemed to have a genuinely nicer community, however it seems I was quite wrong their. A lot of you do feel elitist and just ignore what's in front of your eyes, or tell others looking for a certain app to f _ _ k off and cry about it while they exchange their WP for an iPhone or Android device. We need new users and to do that we need more apps by popular developers such as Google, the Instagram team, etc., etc. just sign the petition, not for your sake but for the ecosystem's as a whole.

    /rant
    Thanked by:
    RyanR47 likes this.
  16. darthtata85's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #41  
    signed
    Thanked by:
  17. alvarezjpr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    #42  
    Signed and shared! I believe having google apps (or any apps) that would atract users to wp is good business. If you don't like any of the google apps, then don't use them. Simple as that.
    Thanked by:
    DigitalDK likes this.
  18. Jazmac's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,252 Posts
    #43  
    Not interested in begging a sneaky advertizing company to track my whereabouts. Sorry. Besides, this is all noise anyway. Lets continue to grow this Ecosystem.
  19. FinsUpDNC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    193 Posts
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by WPenvy View Post
    Ok, your post is really bugging me. You have so many holes in your "fears" that it's not even funny.

    Firstly, net neutrality. Zing. That was easy.

    Second, MSFT had a target on it's back in those days from the smaller companies that wanted to throw stones at the giant. They didn't use their market share as you describe, they used it to squeeze cash out of their supply channels all the way down to the retail level. And it also stemmed both from others feeling like they weren't given enough info my MSFT about upcoming versions of Windows to be prepared for release and that the release of versions of windows were deliberately delayed to cause market share loss. (long multiple stories made short) No one complains about OSX ONLY having Safari installed and not asking you if you want to choose a different web browser. Nor does anyone complain about Chrome and it's browser UI (which arguably is cloud based anyway).

    Why would you "spread your life" over different companies on the internet? (I'm assuming you mean online services offered and not ISP stuff) Instead of having one company with books to parse through your info you're handing it out to more than one. If you're smart about it, it's quite easy to just pick up your stuff and move from one service to another. You'd have to keep your digital life quite organised and manageable.

    Heck you could even disconnect altogether and be done with it. That's not impossible, it's just what you chose not to do. Offline: how's it going? | The Verge

    ^if that doesn't make sense i'm sorry... it's 3am and i didn't sleep a wink the previous night
    Net neutrality does not exist in any real form. Google is pouring huge money into lobbying efforts in DC, and the fear of having a company writing their own laws is a problem we have in the United States. We are seeing it with ISP's now, cable companies trying to protect their television product by putting caps on data where it was once unlimited
  20. jposthauer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #45  
    Google is junk! No.
  21. WPenvy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    248 Posts
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by FinsUpDNC View Post
    Net neutrality does not exist in any real form. Google is pouring huge money into lobbying efforts in DC, and the fear of having a company writing their own laws is a problem we have in the United States. We are seeing it with ISP's now, cable companies trying to protect their television product by putting caps on data where it was once unlimited
    you say companies writing their own laws is a fear, but they've been doing this for decades. Albeit, its usually a conglomerate of companies rather than just one. Its not a possibility, its a reality. Its up to society to become educated with what's going on in legislature. But then I forgot.... This is America, the average person has absolutely no clue
  22. WPenvy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    248 Posts
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    #47  
    On another note, I met a coworker that I've seen around before but she works in a different part of the company. She was using a Lumia 822.

    When I asked her what her previous phone was, she said she always used to stick with Samsung's android powered phones. She was an avid fan of android, but she said she's not amused by the ways of Google. An android user dumping an app-saturated OS because of Google. Imagine that! We don't need Google's apps, they're already supporting us by their own practices.
  23. RyanR47's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    72 Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDK View Post
    I chose WP because I love the UI and the smoothness and fluidity throughout the entire OS, I also thought I chose it because it seemed to have a genuinely nicer community, however it seems I was quite wrong their. A lot of you do feel elitist and just ignore what's in front of your eyes, or tell others looking for a certain app to f _ _ k off and cry about it while they exchange their WP for an iPhone or Android device.

    /rant
    Exactly how I feel 80% of the time being in the forum.
  24. mav4life's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    #49  
    It's a damn shame how most of you WP users feel towards Google.

    Just because you think you are better than them does not mean people don't want it. Without major apps, people will not come over to WP. In essence, if people do not switch over it's because there are not enough services to fully convince them of WP.

    Our app eco system is decent at best. Even for a new marketplace there should not be this much lack of quality apps.

    Im a heavy instagram user but I deal with it because I know it will come soon. Plenty of people though, will simply not switch because Instagram isnt available. Now if a single appl like Instagram can keep people from switching imagine services like Google's. These services are EXTREMELY important for the survival and growth of this platform and without them it cannot continue to grow as it should.

    Look at Google maps, it was the best rated app in the iOS app store the day it came out. Millions of people use them and they will not switch to Bing maps because they are just so accustomed to what they already have.

    <end rant about elitist think they know better WP users >
  25. RambleOn1972's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4 Posts
    #50  
    I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about websites tracking u... Does it really matter??? Ur one of millions if not billions being tracked, ur litterally just a number with absolutley no importantce personally to a company! No I don't particuluarly care for being tracked on the internet, but its not like there's a person hired by google or some other company sitting behind a computer all day looking at your personal searches and photos.... To large companies, we're just a number that can be used for advertising, nothing personal, purley financial...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-14-2013, 12:57 PM
  2. Closing an App to Allow an App to not run inthe background
    By Pwnisher in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-25-2012, 04:49 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-28-2012, 08:03 AM
  4. How to copy Google contacts to Windows Live?
    By GreenScrew in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-27-2012, 02:18 PM
  5. What Happened to the Google+ App
    By mehsdomi in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-02-2011, 02:31 PM

Posting Permissions

B