Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
Like Tree4Likes
  1. odoggyfresh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    230 Posts
       #1  
    Hey guys, I'm guessing this is an issue for all WP8 devices, I have an 822 so if it's just specific to me, I'm sorry. but when taking pictures with the front camera, the image appears horizontally backwards before you take it. after the picture is taken, when you view it, it appears correctly.

    I was just wondering if anyone knew of/has heard of a fix for this? it's not a major issue, but it would be nice to have the image displayed correctly before you take it.

    thanks!
  2. jhguth's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    580 Posts
    Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    #2  
    That's because you are used to looking at a mirror, and a camera is not a mirror. It's weird looking at a camera and not a mirror because everything is backwards so they try to correct for it, but the flipped image you review is actually how people see you. The flip the image so it makes sense.

    (assuming the 822 is the same orientation is the HTC 8x, if not it looks backwards because there is no correction)
    Klevis likes this.
  3. odoggyfresh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    230 Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhguth View Post
    That's because you are used to looking at a mirror, and a camera is not a mirror. It's weird looking at a camera and not a mirror because everything is backwards so they try to correct for it, but the flipped image you review is actually how people see you. The flip the image so it makes sense.

    (assuming the 822 is the same orientation is the HTC 8x, if not it looks backwards because there is no correction)
    let me clarify.


    before you snap the picture with the front facing camera, this is what appears on your screen:
    screen.jpg

    of course the picture will turn out like this:
    actual-picture.jpg

    basically I am wondering why both the before and after images can't both look like the 2nd picture shown above? and if there is an app that someone knows of that will do that, please let me know
  4. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,300 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,635 Global Posts
    #4  
    That's how all FFC's work as far as I know. The iPhone does it... I don't have an Android here to test, but I am pretty sure it would too.
    Thanked by:
  5. SoloXCRacer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    209 Posts
    #5  
    Jhguth's explanation still explains that. Just think about it for a second. You're not looking into a mirror, so the orientation is correct. When you take the snap shot, it is as if another person would see you, which it shows the correct orientation. I'm not aware of an app that does what you're asking. I do know that's the way the iPhone (4) works also, so I'm assuming other phone may work this way as well.
  6. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,300 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,635 Global Posts
    #6  
    I think if it wasn't flipped like that, then when you would move your head to the left, it would move to the right on the screen and annoy the heck out of people trying to center their heads for pictures...
  7. odoggyfresh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    230 Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoloXCRacer View Post
    Jhguth's explanation still explains that. Just think about it for a second. You're not looking into a mirror, so the orientation is correct. When you take the snap shot, it is as if another person would see you, which it shows the correct orientation. I'm not aware of an app that does what you're asking. I do know that's the way the iPhone (4) works also, so I'm assuming other phone may work this way as well.
    my goal is for the pre-snapped orientation of image on the screen to be "correct" ("as if another person would see you") for reasons below:

    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    I think if it wasn't flipped like that, then when you would move your head to the left, it would move to the right on the screen and annoy the heck out of people trying to center their heads for pictures...
    I understand your reasoning. but I just wish there was a way to be able to choose whether or not it is like that.

    It just doesn't make much sense to me for the screen to show you a backwards version of what the picture (or "as if another person would see you") would look like. while some may like the mirror effect, I want to be able to see what the picture is going to turn out like before I take it. I'd like the "correct orientation" to be what is always shown.

    but that's just me.
  8. SoloXCRacer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    209 Posts
    #8  
    To answer your original question, it's not an issue with your phone or WP8. It's just basic physics. That's they way it works. I wouldn't expect a "fix" for it because it's not an issue. And again, I'm not aware of any app that does what you're asking.
  9. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,300 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,635 Global Posts
    #9  
    Just curious as to what the reason is? The funny thing is I've taken all kinds of FFC pictures and it was this very thread that actually made me notice that it was backwards. :)
  10. JamesDax3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    #10  
    The orientation is correct and does not require a fix. It's been explained and quite clearly as well.

    'nuff said.
  11. odoggyfresh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    230 Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoloXCRacer View Post
    To answer your original question, it's not an issue with your phone or WP8. It's just basic physics. That's they way it works. I wouldn't expect a "fix" for it because it's not an issue. And again, I'm not aware of any app that does what you're asking.
    well it's an issue to me, or I wouldnt be posting about it. just give me an alternative option to reverse it to correct orientation. thats the "fix" I'd like.

    while it may be "basic physics" (is it? I hated physics), it only seem like COMMON SENSE to display correctly what the end picture will look like, as cameras have done for years.
  12. zzdarkwingduck's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #12  
    Yeah I understand what you are saying, it would be nice for a setting. Mirror effect on/off.
    Thanked by:
  13. odoggyfresh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    230 Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    Just curious as to what the reason is? The funny thing is I've taken all kinds of FFC pictures and it was this very thread that actually made me notice that it was backwards. :)
    just looking to be able to see the picture as it will turn out in the end, before it is taken, instead of backwards

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesDax3 View Post
    The orientation is correct and does not require a fix. It's been explained and quite clearly as well.

    'nuff said.
    thanks for your contribution. "backwards" does not equate to "correct" to me. but apparently I am in the minority on that
  14. SoloXCRacer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    209 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by odoggyfresh View Post
    well it's an issue to me, or I wouldnt be posting about it. just give me an alternative option to reverse it to correct orientation. thats the "fix" I'd like.

    while it may be "basic physics" (is it? I hated physics), it only seem like COMMON SENSE to display correctly what the end picture will look like, as cameras have done for years.
    What you are calling "correct orientation" is NOT correct orientation. And it is common sense. It's only an issue to you because of your inability to grasp this simple concept. If it worked the way you're proposing, the orientation would not be correct, it would be inverted 180 degrees. And your "as cameras have done for years" statement is not correct either. You're comparing forward facing camera to rear facing cameras. It's wrong, plain and simple and it's been explained on why it works the way it works. Sorry if you don't get it.
  15. odoggyfresh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    230 Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by SoloXCRacer View Post
    What you are calling "correct orientation" is NOT correct orientation. And it is common sense. It's only an issue to you because of your inability to grasp this simple concept. If it worked the way you're proposing, the orientation would not be correct, it would be inverted 180 degrees. And your "as cameras have done for years" statement is not correct either. You're comparing forward facing camera to rear facing cameras. It's wrong, plain and simple and it's been explained on why it works the way it works. Sorry if you don't get it.
    by "correct orientation" I am meaning the way things look in real life, as if you took it with a normal camera, NOT as is would look in a mirror. so I'm sorry if the way pictures look isnt "correct"

    sorry for YOUR inability to grasp my simple observation. zzdarjwingduck did.

    sorry if you dont get it. but I'm done trying to explain myself. you offer no help but bashing me for not agreeing with the way its currently set up. OBVIOUSLY I disagree with the way it is currently set up since I made a thread. I understand the concept of how it is currently working, but think that it would make sense to have an alternative option.

    please dont comment back, as this conversation is not going anywhere
  16. jaethos's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    164 Posts
    #16  
    It isn't correct though, it's mirrored, as his screen shot points out. When looking at the screen it works exactly as if you were looking at a mirror, not how someone else sees you. The reason they do this is because not having it mirrored can confuse people as something in your teeth would be hard to pick out, for example. Having an oprion to turn off the mirror effect would be nice, but I don't think the demand is really there.

    One side effect of this, however, is that the Camwow lens app doesn't correct the image like the normal camera app, so any effect laden pics you take with the FFC using the app will come out mirrored.
    Thanked by:
  17. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,300 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,635 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by odoggyfresh View Post
    it only seem like COMMON SENSE to display correctly what the end picture will look like, as cameras have done for years.
    But that's the thing, as far as I know, this is how these cameras have done it forever. Anyway, I'm not gonna try to talk you out of anything. It's a feature you want and that's the way it is. If we all thought the same, we'd be Apple users.


    I'm still curious, though, if you have an example of a picture you would take with a FFC that you need to be able to see it "normal" before you can snap it? I mean I just use mine for taking pictures of my big fat head, and it looks pretty darn handsome before and after I take the photo!
  18. odoggyfresh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    230 Posts
       #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    But that's the thing, as far as I know, this is how these cameras have done it forever. Anyway, I'm not gonna try to talk you out of anything. It's a feature you want and that's the way it is. If we all thought the same, we'd be Apple users.


    I'm still curious, though, if you have an example of a picture you would take with a FFC that you need to be able to see it "normal" before you can snap it? I mean I just use mine for taking pictures of my big fat head, and it looks pretty darn handsome before and after I take the photo!
    yeah by the "cameras have done for years" thing I was just saying it would make sense (to me) for a FFC to behave like a rear camera. although I do understand the argument for using it like a mirror, I would prefer it to be otherwise.

    and true, the FFC camera is mainly for your face and whatnot. I dont particularly NEED it to be different, just would prefer to see how the image is going to turn out, rather than a flipped version of it
  19. tk-093's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,300 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,635 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by odoggyfresh View Post
    yeah by the "cameras have done for years" thing I was just saying it would make sense (to me) for a FFC to behave like a rear camera. although I do understand the argument for using it like a mirror, I would prefer it to be otherwise.

    and true, the FFC camera is mainly for your face and whatnot. I dont particularly NEED it to be different, just would prefer to see how the image is going to turn out, rather than a flipped version of it

    Wouldn't bother me if they put in an option to reverse it... However, I have a bigger list of things that needs to be put in place first. :)
  20. odoggyfresh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    230 Posts
       #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    Wouldn't bother me if they put in an option to reverse it... However, I have a bigger list of things that needs to be put in place first. :)
    oh for sure. no argument from me on that!
  21. JamesDax3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    #21  
    smdh
    odoggyfresh likes this.
  22. Optimus82's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    123 Posts
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    #22  
    The result is as if somebody else took a picture of yourself the correct way.

    What's so hard to understand?

    Do you work in a funky magic mirror shop?

    If the ffc preview showed how the pic would really come out, I got a feeling by the way you are complaining you would freak the fukc out
  23. odoggyfresh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    230 Posts
       #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus82 View Post
    The result is as if somebody else took a picture of yourself the correct way.

    What's so hard to understand?

    Do you work in a funky magic mirror shop?

    If the ffc preview showed how the pic would really come out, I got a feeling by the way you are complaining you would freak the fukc out
    I am fully aware the result is correct.

    haha and if you've learned nothing from this thread, I prefer an image in "correct" form, not a mirrored version

    and if the ffc preview showed how the pic would really come out, this thread wouldnt exist!
  24. jhguth's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    580 Posts
    Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    #24  
    yeah by the "cameras have done for years" thing I was just saying it would make sense (to me) for a FFC to behave like a rear camera. although I do understand the argument for using it like a mirror, I would prefer it to be otherwise.

    and true, the FFC camera is mainly for your face and whatnot. I dont particularly NEED it to be different, just would prefer to see how the image is going to turn out, rather than a flipped version of it
    You don't want that, everything would be backwards. When you moved your hand to the right, it would show on the screen going to the left, the opposite direction. If you turned your face one way, it would turn the other direction on the screen. It would be completely disorienting.

    my goal is for the pre-snapped orientation of image on the screen to be "correct" ("as if another person would see you") for reasons below:
    That's not possible, the way people see you is how it shows at the end. That is the correct orientation, that is what you actually look like. Its why its often weird seeing pictures of yourself, you never look right to yourself but to everyone else it looks correct. It's because you only ever see a backwards reflection in the mirror and not the real you. You will notice that in pictures your hair is parted on the wrong side or a freckle is on the wrong cheek, but really its right.

    To help make sense of it think of text. Your first image is backwards because they are showing you a mirror image, they are doing this because otherwise all of the movement would be backwards. You can't have movement go in the "correct as you would see it in a mirror" way, and things be the final version as others see it. Its impossible.

    Here is an experiment to demonstrate:
    Turn your rear camera on, then go face the mirror in the bathroom with the camera pointing at you and you looking at the reflection of the screen in the mirror. Try to turn your head the way you want it or get things lined up left and right. Do you see how confusing and weird it is? That is what you are asking for.
    Last edited by jhguth; 12-19-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: .
  25. odoggyfresh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    230 Posts
       #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhguth View Post
    You don't want that, everything would be backwards. When you moved your hand to the right, it would show on the screen going to the left, the opposite direction. If you turned your face one way, it would turn the other direction on the screen. It would be completely disorienting.


    That's not possible, the way people see you is how it shows at the end. That is the correct orientation, that is what you actually look like. Its why its often weird seeing pictures of yourself, you never look right to yourself but to everyone else it looks correct. It's because you only ever see a backwards reflection in the mirror and not the real you. You will notice that in pictures your hair is parted on the wrong side or a freckle is on the wrong cheek, but really its right.

    To help make sense of it think of text. Your first image is backwards because they are showing you a mirror image, they are doing this because otherwise all of the movement would be backwards. You can't have movement go in the "correct as you would see it in a mirror" way, and things be the final version as others see it. Its impossible.

    Here is an experiment to demonstrate:
    Turn your rear camera on, then go face the mirror in the bathroom with the camera pointing at you and you looking at the reflection of the screen in the mirror. Try to turn your head the way you want it or get things lined up left and right. Do you see how confusing and weird it is? That is what you are asking for.
    I completely understand and agree with what you're saying. I dont need to do the experiment because I know exactly what you're talking about.

    I would also be fine with my movement being backwards on the screen. usually im just taking a quick picture that doesnt require a lot of movement anyways.

    I feel it wouldnt be impossible, all they would have to do flip the image that is portrayed onto the screen before you take the picture.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-13-2013, 12:07 PM
  2. Lumia 920 Front Camera horizontal reverse?
    By wwyws0000 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-10-2013, 04:56 PM
  3. Dust on front camera lens
    By Awentz66 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 02:01 AM
  4. Front Camera vs. Rear Camera - The Emperor Has No Clothes!
    By mobilelawyer in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-24-2012, 02:15 PM
  5. front camera issues
    By hollywars in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 08:12 AM

Posting Permissions

B