Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Evenings everyone,

gutted BBC Iplayer isn't still available for either platform so I decided to email BBC direct for some answers and here's the response I got:

Reference CAS-1830050-H******

Thank you for contacting the BBC iPlayer Support Team.
    We understand that you would like to know if the BBC iPlayer app is available for Windows Phone 8 or Windows 8.
    Unfortunately, as the Windows Phone 8 doesn't support HLS or Adobe Flash, the formats we use for streaming videos, we can't make BBC iPlayer available on this phone at the moment.
    Windows 8 is supported by BBC iPlayer in desktop mode only. You can find information on the system requirements for the BBC iPlayer app on the site below:
    BBC iPlayer - Help - What are the system requirements for the BBC iPlayer app?
    You may wish to know that there are external message boards that discuss everything BBC iPlayer related. Details can be found at:
    BBC iPlayer - Help - Messageboards for BBC iPlayer - Where can I go to discuss BBC iPlayer?
    Please note that the BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
    We do appreciate the time taken to submit your enquiry as all feedback received helps us to develop and improve the service.
    Once again, thank you for contacting us.
    Kind Regards
    David Glenday
    BBC Audience Services
    BBC iPlayer - iPlayer Radio Home
    NB This is sent from an outgoing account only which is not monitored. You cannot reply to this email address but if necessary please contact us via our webform quoting any case number we provided.
    This doesn't look good for Microsoft. Want to know what your views are on this..

thanks

Yeah this is the answer they gave before WP8 as well. Either Apple's streaming protocol (HLS) or Flash. Neither of which is likely to happen for WP anytime soon.
    "Bro, you know I lift cause I use a Lumia 920..."

Poor development in my opinion. Very short-sighted when it comes to mobile.

If they just went HTML5 they wouldn't have to support both HLS and Flash. Then as WP gains market share, they'll end up having to start on new development anyway.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    Poor development in my opinion. Very short-sighted when it comes to mobile.

If they just went HTML5 they wouldn't have to support both HLS and Flash. Then as WP gains market share, they'll end up having to start on new development anyway.
    I hate to say it, but unless WP gets up to 20-25% market share or higher, no one cares if they aren't reaching us and I think we've got a long wait until we see market share like that, if we ever do.

Flash is dropping Android, does it mean BBC iPlayer will stop working on that OS?

Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    I hate to say it, but unless WP gets up to 20-25% market share or higher, no one cares if they aren't reaching us and I think we've got a long wait until we see market share like that, if we ever do.
    Still, if they were using HTML5 they could work on Android and iDevices while only coding once.
    Last edited by Winning Guy; 12-18-2012 at 06:54 AM.

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    It's partly MS fault as well I believe. The streaming protocol doesn't work on the browser on WP I don't think, which is why streaming via the browser isn't an option. In all honesty the loss of iPlayer isn't a major issue for me. I am however missing TVCatchup and SkyGo. They're the only 2 apps I'm really missing from my iPhone days.

Quote Originally Posted by D0gsballs View Post
    It's partly MS fault as well I believe. The streaming protocol doesn't work on the browser on WP I don't think, which is why streaming via the browser isn't an option. In all honesty the loss of iPlayer isn't a major issue for me. I am however missing TVCatchup and SkyGo. They're the only 2 apps I'm really missing from my iPhone days.
    It is Adobe's fault. They are no longer working on flash. That is why WP will not get it and future releases of any other platform will not get it.

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    Microsoft can't do anything about Flash. They can sort out the bug on their own browser

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    It was mentioned a wee while back gomezz, will be great news to get BBC iPlayer for sure.

BBC announces Windows Phone iPlayer app in the works | Windows Phone Central

Really looking forward to that one myself.

.........HANDSET: Nokia Lumia 920
    .........COUNTRY: Scotland UK
    .........NETWORK: 3 UK
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    Mr B just tweeted it's arriving today, now that's welcome news indeedy if it happens. BBC iPlayer at last, woo hoo!

https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/stat...726976/photo/1

Erm tvcatchup is in the market place bro.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    I know, but it's useless to use for 'Catchup TV' why is it called that when you can't watch any catchup TV? LOL

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    5,295 Global Posts
    Woo just spotted it folks.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/st...3-731b67b69b80

I know it's only a wrapped up version of the iPlayer mobile site but hey, it's a start.

Thanked by:

Another WeeBear spotting in the wild. I should keep a tally

Also saw that tweet earlier. It's great they managed to bring it over. Another app off the waiting list I guess.

Now bring us official BBC app or just stop stopping brilliant 3rd party devs....
    Developer

Just downloaded it, looking good
    Cheers,
    Martin