Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jd195

So I read about Google not supporting...well..pretty much anything Windows phone. So what exactly does this mean? Me and my wife have had Google accounts for a long time. Contacts, calendars, mail, and youtube accounts are all Google driven.

If we are to flip our stuff over to Windows/Outlook, then how would we go about this? We have tons of pics on g+as well. Help anyone? Are we stick in a bad Google/ MSFT fight?
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express
    Google services....

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/up...sen-poorly.jpg

There's a couple threads on the topic. Switching is quite easy. You might be SOL on google+ though.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Here's a newspost that should help get you going in the right direction.

From the forums: How to completely switch from Gmail to Outlook | Windows Phone Central

And really, no one says you have to stop using all google services. From what I can tell, the big things are contacts, calendars, and push email. You can import your contacts and calendar easily, and just make sure important emails are directed to a different email acct, i guess. I could be wrong, but this is what I've gathered on the subject.
    brmiller1976 likes this.

From what I understand is that google isn't gonna make stand alone apps for windows phone, other than that nothing is gonna change

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Migrating photos from Google+ is tough. Google offers lots of tools to migrate from OTHER services, but blocks or hobbles APIs from competitors who want to migrate people from Google to other providers.
    Banned

Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    If you still have all of those g+ photos on your computer somewhere, just upload them all to skydrive.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Yahoo is working on migration tools for Google users for Mail, Calendar, Contacts and photos (migrating to Flickr).

Quote Originally Posted by tcedwards View Post
    From what I understand is that google isn't gonna make stand alone apps for windows phone, other than that nothing is gonna change
    Not entirely true, they're also making it harder for windows phone users to sync calendars/contacts starting in January by removing the mechanism that Windows and Windows phone currently use to sync with Google services. They do have other ways of accessing the data, but Windows Phone doesn't currently support those. We'll have to see how Microsoft handles this.

Yeah, I'm anxious to see how this works out. I'm just afraid I would be too late in the transition and lose the ability to transfer my calendar and contacts.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express