Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    So Microsoft is pushing out a defective update to unlocked device owners and doesn't want carrier-locked versions to get a defective update?

Seriously? That's the counter-argument?!?

Wow.

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    So Microsoft is pushing out a defective update to unlocked device owners and doesn't want carrier-locked versions to get a defective update?

Seriously? That's the counter-argument?!?

Wow.
    It would seem that no matter what they do you are going to complain. Take time to get an update correct and they did not rush it out. Rush it out and have problems and they shoved a bad update down your throat. Of course, in contrast all is happy in Android and IOS world. Funny thing is that the last time I checked there have only been a handful for IOS interim updates, in spite of known problems with Siri, Maps, etc.. In the present tense, they certainly haven't rushed out an instant fix for maps that take you everywhere except where you want to go but I guess that doesn't count. Google has "fixed: Apple's map problems via a Google app. As far as Android goes, even Android fans will generally admit it is significantly fragmented. More importantly, even relatively new devices have missed (and continue to miss) key updates. Then again, that can be a good thing since Android updates, whether they are for Nexus devices or those from the array of other manufacturers, typically break new things as they fix others. By all means though, please continue to think that everything is a bed of roses for IOS and Android. The problem is like all beds of roses, there are thorns their as well.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,403 Global Posts
    If you don't like it... organise a 10'000'000 people strong protest to Redmond, blast open their doors and Windows (oh wow, I instinctively capitalised that), and then start complaining asking for better updates. Then, you might get noticed. Maybe for all the wrong reasons, but you'll get noticed nonetheless.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,018 Global Posts
    well this thread gave me a good laugh :D
    I think if MSFT announced they were releasing the update to the masses this afternoon, you'd complain that it wasn't happening this morning.

Some people can't be pleased.
    George Ponder
    Reviews Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email: george.ponder@wpcentral.com
    Twitter: @coppertop004

iamtim likes this.

OMG a week. ::: cries:::

lol

Actually, Microsoft stated that updates on WP8 would be carrier independent.
    Show it. You can't, because they never said it.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    As I said before, it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. The "why" of crap experience is less important than the fact that it is crap experience.

All consumers will care about is that Apple can deliver timely and reliable updates, and Microsoft can't.
    Check out winsupersite.com Paul thurrot has written about it numerous times and on the last podcast he was talking about how Microsoft had said it in July.

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts

Imagine if a serious security vulnerability was discovered in Windows 8, and Microsoft took six months to distribute the fix.
    Apple takes months to fix security holes in iOS. Yes, it is released to everyone at once, but you can be waiting 6-9 months for that release. This release is less than 2 months after launch, has added features, and bug releases.

And an important note: it is the FIRST update on a NEW OS. Rolling out to a small test segment first is SMART. You're *****ing now? Imaging if the patch rolled out and it didn't work as expected... Or the update process itself had an error. MS is doing this the right way.

Lets see the last update that apple rolled out that i downloaded was over 4 years ago bricked my iphone then had itunes stuck in some odd download loop. Had to reset and reload everything only for it to brick the phone again on its second attempt. Contract was almost up so switched to WP6.5, then WP7 a year later now im on WP8 two years later. Never had an issue with Windows phone updates bricking my phone so im still with WP and loving it. Please dont tell me that Apple get things right. They didnt back then and they still dont now.

Oh and just to rub salt in the wound as it were - I got my 8X update Friday morning. No more reboots, shutdowns or errors and the additional tweaks to the OS and the battery life are amazing
    Last edited by martinmc78; 12-17-2012 at 11:31 AM.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Glad your 8X works for you. Lots of other people need this fix yesterday. Telling them "deal with it until we decide to get it to you even though it is finished" isn't cool.

Glad your 8X works for you. Lots of other people need this fix yesterday. Telling them "deal with it until we decide to get it to you even though it is finished" isn't cool.
    It works now and I'm glad it does too - I had 24 days of misery trying to get a replacement sent out from HTC. Was on the verge of going back to O2 and asking to switch handset manufacturer my phone was that bad.
    You are right though in one respect once the unbranded 8X's were used as a testbed it should have been a global rollout not Europe first then other parts of the world to follow at some unspecified time. Its not a lot of help to you right now but the update will come and hopefully it solves your issues and improves your experience with your 8X

My original point however is that Apple are just as likely to mess things up as anyone else. Its only the media marketing and the reality distortion field that stops everyone noticing.

Never had a problem with my 8X before the update and after the update nothing changend on that part.
    As for updates i could care less when it comes, as longs as it come.
    If i want to cry about speeding things up its more like " 4 days to holiday,s season ? "
    I dont mind to be a tester if thats the case , and if not, i dont mind that to.
    Plan simple is to get the update that should works as it should ,no more,no less.

Peace and Greetz.

Global Posts
    819 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilR8 View Post
    The "enthusiast program" does not exist at the moment, so there has not been anything to sign up for.
    that's exactly my point . Op is claiming something that does not exist and made up something that's not true at all.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Board Express

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Okay, so general feedback is... "nobody needs updates." Go forth and ask your friends and colleagues if that is true.

Global Posts
    1,359 Global Posts
    Okay, so general feedback is... "nobody needs updates." Go forth and ask your friends and colleagues if that is true.
    Wow, where are you getting this stuff? I think the general feedback is, "chill, bro, the update will get here, give MS a chance to get stuff running properly."
    jdhooghe likes this.

Global Posts
    819 Global Posts
    Where did you get that conclusion from? Everyone wants update but they understannd it is not ready yet, especially with carriers still dragging the process. Don't be fooled by iOS updates. Apple just doesn't release updates early to anyone. They wait until carriers all approved before they announce and roll out. When you have near half of the smart phone market share, carriers tend to move things faster for you than the 1% WP phones.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Board Express

Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    Someone's backed into a corner...jesus.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Sorry, guys, but Microsoft's update experience is the worst of any operating system on the market. Very bottom of the barrel.

iOS gets updates instantaneously, around the world.
    Android Nexus devices get it within a few days.
    BlackBerry devices get them OTA or downloaded, and BB10 will offer carrier-independent OTA on launch.

Microsoft? Still stuck in 1999.

Deny all you want, say it's wonderful that our devices don't get updates for weeks or months (depending on what carrier you're on), but the update experience for Windows Phone SUCKS. It's that bad, and it does the struggling-to-break-through OS no favors.

I don't see any point in rioting in front of Redmond over it -- rather, Microsoft needs to put some more thought into user experience and put the user first (rather than the carrier). Every other major ecosystem has already figured that out, and in a market this competitive, sub-par updating isn't going to cut it.

Android might be worse, ever hear of the different carriers delaying updates? Trust me I've been there with Verizon. It all comes down to the carriers more or less.
    Sorry, guys, but Microsoft's update experience is the worst of any operating system on the market. Very bottom of the barrel.
    You know... I'm forming the opinion that a Windows Phone just isn't your cup of tea.
    George Ponder
    Reviews Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email: george.ponder@wpcentral.com
    Twitter: @coppertop004

Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    Android devices that are not Nexus (IE, most of them), are lucky to ever see an update of any kind. Even Nexus isn't immune. Look at the trainwreck that was the Verizon Galaxy Nexus! What a joke!

iOS has it nailed down. But, they have no carrier ties, and produce both hardware and software in house, so they have an advantage. If Microsoft can manage to pull it together and develope a system akin to Windows Updates for the phones, it would be fantastic, but you know carriers want their fingers in the mix.

Global Posts
    808 Global Posts

BlackBerry devices get them OTA or downloaded, and BB10 will offer carrier-independent OTA on launch.

Deny all you want, say it's wonderful that our devices don't get updates for weeks or months (depending on what carrier you're on), but the update experience for Windows Phone SUCKS. It's that bad, and it does the struggling-to-break-through OS no favors.

I don't see any point in rioting in front of Redmond over it -- rather, Microsoft needs to put some more thought into user experience and put the user first (rather than the carrier). Every other major ecosystem has already figured that out, and in a market this competitive, sub-par updating isn't going to cut it.
    I hope you have a T-Mobile 8X so you can stop your crying.

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts

iOS releases 1 or 2 updates a year. WP8 has been out a month and a half.
    How many Android devices never get updates?
    Blackberry devices are LUCKY to get an update if their carrier ever gets around to it. AT&T has released a grand total of ONE update to OS7 for the BB9900. Rogers is the same for the 9810. These are the two flagship models.

Again, rolling out an update less than 2 months after launch is pretty impressive.

Now, to quote Gandalf...
    "An update never arrives late. Nor is it early. It arrives precisely when it means to."

If that isn't good enough, go buy a freakin idroid already.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast