Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

whats a WP8 verison of mint banking?

Mint is coming to WP8, already announced. You could try Account Tracker in the meantime.
    Mint.com is NOT coming - at least not anytime soon. I've contacted them myself, and the response was that they removed it from their short-term plan. There is a developer working on an app called Money Thyme, and he was asking for Beta testers... I signed up, though late (I don't know how long before I signed up he'd posted his request for testers), but I haven't heard from him. His video demo of the app is pretty impressive.
    - Rich

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Pageonce

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I also use Pageonce (since the WP7 days)...
    I've heard about pageonce but haven't looked into it. How does it cpmpareto mint?
    - Rich

Money Thyme sounds nice, but something about letting a third party app have access to all of my financial info is kind of scary to me, lol. I'd need to understand how it works before I'd use it because I don't remember Mint having an API.

Edit: Nevermind, Intuit was introducing one but I don't know if it came out yet. It also wasn't going to be free either
    Quote Originally Posted by PG2G View Post
    Money Thyme sounds nice, but something about letting a third party app have access to all of my financial info is kind of scary to me, lol. I'd need to understand how it works before I'd use it because I don't remember Mint having an API.
    It doesn't take much digging to realize that people have been reverse engineering Mint's API to get it to work for them...
    Early Look at Mojito: Mint.com for Windows Phone 7 - Matt McCormick
    https://satisfaction.mint.com/mint/t..._personal_data

Don't get me wrong - I share your caution. I also have my reservations about putting a username/password into an app where I don't know what is being done with that username/password, when it involves my money. But if all they have access to is the Mint user/pass, I'm thinking you're at least safe from being cleaned out (assuming you don't use the same user/pass for mint as you use for the bank). I know I don't use Mint's full capabilities, but can you remove money from an account with it, or is it read-only on the bank accounts? I know I've only used read-only functions, so I'm not sure any action functions exist. I know - someone could see what you have, but at least you'd still have it.

I'm thinking I'd want an app like this to go through some kind of certification process. And hey, while I'm on that subject, I wonder just how many people installed the Bank of America app (or any other app) and didn't check to see who published the app? Hmmm... There's no Wells Fargo app. Maybe I should publish one really quick, if you know what I mean.... No, I'd never do that, but I'm saying it to raise people's awareness.

Still, the question remains, what kind of assurance can a developer give that his app is not sending your username/password home to Papa, and that your money (or email, or twitter account, or whatever else it is you're trusting to a developer) is safe?
    - Rich

Yeah, you're right. Mint.com does seem primarily read only, so it might not be too bad. I remember with Yodlee you could actually get access to account login credentials (I used to do it when I'd forget my account user names and passwords :P). There doesn't appear to be a way to do that in Mint.

I suggest not using this kind of services. They sell your data. Some hedge funds will try to figure out a lot of things from these

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Why not just use your bank's mobile app or web site? Citibank does all the stuff Mint does through their mobile site, including scraping data from your credit cards and other accounts (stocks, bonds, cash, other banks). And I trust Citi a lot more than some small developer.
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    Why not just use your bank's mobile app or web site? Citibank does all the stuff Mint does through their mobile site, including scraping data from your credit cards and other accounts (stocks, bonds, cash, other banks). And I trust Citi a lot more than some small developer.
    For a couple reasons, I use Mint (where I used to use Quicken and be tied to a desktop). One is all of my accounts are in one place. Another is that only one of my banks has an app (USAA). Another is a credit union, and I doubt they'll ever have an app anywhere... Another reason is that when I pay my bills, I enter the payments, and I can see how much I have (like entering in a check register, but not on paper), and then when the transactions clear, they automatically cancel out the entries I made. It's mostly about keeping up with where I am at any given time, since I'm a bit OCD about some things, and when it comes to this, I'm paranoid about making a mistake and bouncing a check, or missing a payment. It would be nice if there were an app that would do all this, save it to my own SkyDrive, and my wife could sync to that. Or even better, since I'm running a server at home, skip the SkyDrive, and let the server at home do the work. But I don't have that kind of time, so I'm left to someone else's solutions. It would be nice if my bank would deduct the money from my displayed balance as soon as I set up the billpay, but it doesn't... If it did, I'd be golden. The only thing I'd need to track is the two checks we write a month to church.
    - Rich

Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    Mint.com is NOT coming - at least not anytime soon. I've contacted them myself, and the response was that they removed it from their short-term plan. There is a developer working on an app called Money Thyme, and he was asking for Beta testers... I signed up, though late (I don't know how long before I signed up he'd posted his request for testers), but I haven't heard from him. His video demo of the app is pretty impressive.
    Please let me know when Money Thyme becomes available. I'd be interested in trying it out.

Global Posts
    1,467 Global Posts
    I have nothing to add to this thread other than Hopmedic? Your avatar is disturbing. :)

Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    It was legit at the time, but they changed their plan. If they were still planning to do it, it'd be done by now - that article is from August 4th. Like I said, I contacted them directly, and I was given a very direct reply that they no longer had it on their short-term roadmap. They didn't pull any punches.

Rich posted toMint.com

November 22

When will the Windows Phone 8 app that we heard about in August be done?

And Mint is totally not syncing with USAA right for the past couple weeks!

• 2 people like this.

• Mint.com Hey Rich, unfortunately, the WP8 app got bumped from our short-term roadmap. We will keep you posted though! Appreciate your interest.
      For the USAA difficulties, please fill out our Contact Mint form http://www.mint.com/help/#contact-form so we can take a look at your account. Thanks!Contact Mint - Mint.com > Get Help
      www.mint.comIf you have a specific issue with bank accounts, transactions, or canít find you...r answer in the community-powered forum, you can contact Customer Service here. Youíll typically get a response within 24 hours.See More
      November 23 at 11:32am ∑ Like
    • Rich Well, with the WP8 launch being what it is, everyone is running out of phones, and I'm seeing a couple of forums, including your own, where people are/have been asking for the mint.com app. If you're not going to make one, do you have an API for developers to make a third party app?

As for my USAA problem, it wasn't two minutes after I posted this issue yesterday and it suddenly synced up right.
      November 23 at 11:46am ∑ Like
    - Rich

Looks like they are working on it, but do not have a timeframe yet. This is what they told me.

Me: Do you plan on providing a App for Windows Phone
    8? I would like to start using Mint, but my wife and I both have WP8 phones and
    it would be much easier to use if we have an app to use.

Mint: And thanks for your interest in seeing Mint.com on mobile platforms besides iOS
    and Android. We periodically review the marketplace and consider support for
    any mobile platform adopted by a significant percentage of our users specially
    with Windows Phone 8. In the meantime you can access Mint.com on any mobile browser, or via SMS
    text-message: Just text ‘bal’ to shortcode ‘MYMINT (696468).

Me: Can you please provide a time frame of when an
    app will be available? Is there a team already working on a app or is Mint
    really in the phase of just considering an app? Is there supposed to be a mobile web version of
    Mint? When I log in to the site from my Nokia Lumia 920, all I see is the full
    site which is pretty hard to use from the phone.

Mint: I just personally did a follow up with your
    request into our engineers. They are now currently working on it and
    formulating the best resolution towards this issue. Unfortunately we cannot
    provide an ETA due to the reason that our production team is experiencing also
    a high traffic volume of inquiries and requests. Please extend your patience us we work together to add a Mint app at windows.
    Well, I hope they actually do it, but even that conversation sounds more vague than what I'd like to see. They need to commit. That conversation is not a commission.
    - Rich

Global Posts
    1,166 Global Posts
    Honestly I find the idea of entrusting one app provider with all my banking logins to be scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
    Looks like they are working on it, but do not have a timeframe yet. This is what they told me.

Me: Do you plan on providing a App for Windows Phone
    8? I would like to start using Mint, but my wife and I both have WP8 phones and
    it would be much easier to use if we have an app to use.

Mint: And thanks for your interest in seeing Mint.com on mobile platforms besides iOS
    and Android. We periodically review the marketplace and consider support for
    any mobile platform adopted by a significant percentage of our users specially
    with Windows Phone 8. In the meantime you can access Mint.com on any mobile browser, or via SMS
    text-message: Just text Ďbalí to shortcode ĎMYMINT (696468).

Me: Can you please provide a time frame of when an
    app will be available? Is there a team already working on a app or is Mint
    really in the phase of just considering an app? Is there supposed to be a mobile web version of
    Mint? When I log in to the site from my Nokia Lumia 920, all I see is the full
    site which is pretty hard to use from the phone.

Mint: I just personally did a follow up with your
    request into our engineers. They are now currently working on it and
    formulating the best resolution towards this issue. Unfortunately we cannot
    provide an ETA due to the reason that our production team is experiencing also
    a high traffic volume of inquiries and requests. Please extend your patience us we work together to add a Mint app at windows.
    Here's another response I got.

Good day!

Yes our Product Team are currently working on to have an app for Windows 8 mobile platform, in line with the request of our users to have an app for Windows phone 8, however, we cannot provide you the ETA.

Thank you very much.

Best,
    Ronald
    Mint.com

anybody get any updates on this?

Quote Originally Posted by bguy_1986 View Post
    anybody get any updates on this?
    According to a thread on Mint forums, an official reply was posted saying there are still no plans. Be sure to add your voice to the threads over there.

https://satisfaction.mint.com/mint/t...s_phone_yes_no

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    For Canadians thinking of using Mint...a big big big warning....:

"Consumers should be aware that if they disclose their online banking information to any other party, including financial aggregators, they may risk losing their protection against unauthorized transactions. Some financial institutions’ user agreements clearly state that users will be responsible for unauthorized transactions if they provide other parties, including financial aggregators, with their passwords and account information."

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    Got this feedback from Mint:
    Good day!

Thanks for contacting Mint.com, and for your interest in a Mint.com application for Windows Phone. Our Product Team is still exploring this opportunity. Currently, this development is still in our future plans and we're continuing to keep an eye on it and monitor the demand, and if that changes (and resources open up), we’ll revisit this decision.

Thank you for patience and understanding. Feel free to email back if you have other concerns.

Best,
    Eddielyn
    Mint.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast