Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By UnfixedPyle
  • 1 Post By michail71
  • 5 Post By JerseySal

In my quest to figure out the battery life on my Lumia 920 and my Wife's Lumia 820 (hers was good, now it's not) I have discovered a few things. Some of this comes from first hand tests, and some from searching this forum. There are certain settings/apps that will drain the battery in a hurry, even in standby. So, I figured I would post all of these in one place and if you have more feel free to add them.

Nokia Drive Beta
    Kik messenger
    Whatsapp
    Talk.to
    Probably any chat app
    Any WP7 app not updated to WP8 has the potential to be a battery hog
    Search settings - suggestions, this will activate locations services every time you unlock the phone even if it just did it 3 seconds ago
    Having chat status in messages set to available (not nearly as bad as the chat apps, but this still uses more battery)
    Facebook (supposedly uninstalling and re-installing fixes it)
    Skype (I haven't personally installed this because of the "preview" status and the reviews)
    Email settings (put them as infrequently as you need to save more battery)
    NFC on

Once I figured out all of this, my Lumia 920 is getting incredible battery life...I'm at 13 hours since charge right now and have 73% with mixed usage (light while at work, medium/heavy since). I leave Bluetooth, wifi, location services and cellular data on at all times. I am still trying to track down the cause of my wife's 820's battery drain. It is loosing 10% an hour in standby....I'm starting to suspect Yahoo! mail as that is really the only difference in settings that we have. I will post back once I find it. If you guys know more please post, hope this helps everyone.
    Last edited by UnfixedPyle; 12-07-2012 at 07:36 PM.
    Thanked by:
    hopmedic and thekonger like this.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Thanks for the good list of battery tips for WP8!!

Coming from an iPhone 4 I also have questions about the 920's battery. My phone is getting good battery life while in standby but whenever I use it the battery seems to drop pretty fast. The phone also gets somewhat hot on the back right above the camera while in use. An example is when I'm reading articles using the app Feed Reader Free, after about 10 minutes of use the back of the phone is really warm and the battery percentage drops around 5 to 6 percent. I was just reading a book on the Kindle app for about 10 minutes and the battery dropped 4 percent, it was also warm but not as warm after using Feed Reader. I would think a book reader app like Kindle would use little to no battery, so 4% every 10 minutes seems excessive to me.

I understand the battery will drop with use, but I'm just wondering if this is normal or if something is wrong. Anyone else having these same experiences?

If you phone is getting hot, that means something is making the processor work hard. It's not the Kindle app. Under normal conditions, with the screen on I will get about 5-10% drop per hour depending on how much data is being pulled down. Watching Youtube video's it drops between 8-10% an hour, normal web surfing more like 5. The only other thing that will kill the battery quickly is trying to use data over a very weak cell signal. If it's getting hot though, push and hold the back button and see if something is still running in the background (also check for the location services icon). I just read a book in the Kindle app for 10 minutes and it dropped <1%
    That drop with the eReader does seem excessive, and I can't explain that.... After only 10 minutes, I wouldn't expect to see the battery drop a percent even. Though I've got an 822, which has lower resolution and an AMOLED screen, both of which contribute to lower power use...

Another suggestion to watch for apps is take a look in the Data Sense app, and look at the Usage panel. Look at the apps that are using the most data. If they're using data, and you're not using them a lot, then they're using data when you're not looking. If that's happening, then they're sapping you twice - in data and in power.

I installed Wootcher a couple days ago. In two days' time, I saw it climb to number three in the data use catagory. It was at 38 MB of data use, though I'd only actually had the app open for maybe 5 minutes at the VERY most, checking it out. It had even surpassed the Streaming Media category that I'd done, using the Nokia Music app! Use that much data while I'm not looking, you're outta here! My People Hub, the Fox News, Nokia Maps, even SkyDrive hadn't used that much since November 23, the day that DataSense reset for my monthly reset date! The only things that had used more were the WPCentral app at 50MB, IE at 108, app downloads at 124, and internet sharing at 2.4GB (yeah, I love tethering while I'm at work!).

Anyway, Wootcher is gone, and I'd suggest watching DataSense. Also, if you're making a list of known battery hogs, I'd suggest adding edits to that first post, UnfixedPyle, so that people are more likely to see all of them, and not have to wade through it all - if you're willing to keep up the list. I know if you do, I'd be on the list of people who'd be appreciative.
    - Rich

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info, I think you guys are right about the phone using excessive data. I put it into airplane mode and read about 10 minutes on the Kinde app, this time the battery only dropped 1% and it didn't get warm at all. I have NFC and Bluetooth turned off so something is causing the WiFi or the cellular radio to heat up the processor and consume extra battery. I also don't have any other programs running in the background (checked by holding the back arrow). I'll have to do some more testing to see if I can figure out the issue. The good news is that the battery seems to hold up when the phone is locked.

Also, I don't have the Data Sense app on my phone. I did a quick Google search and found that AT&T doesn't allow it on their phones, which makes no sense. Also, the Nokia Counter app isn't compatible with the 920. Does anyone have suggestions on apps that can help us AT&T 920 owners track apps and how much data they use?
    No data sense? Really? I knew Verizon was to be first to support it, but I assumed that meant the cloud side of it (compressing data before sending it). I didn't realize that meant even just having the app.

Well, when you get it, you will love it. It will tell you what apps use how much data on cell, on WiFi, so you can figure out how to use your data more wisely.
    - Rich

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I did some more testing today with pretty bad results. I tried to find out what was causing my phone to eat up the battery and get warm while using the Kindle app so I messed around with the settings. I selectively turned off different things and read a book for 10 minutes each time. I turned off mobile data, then WiFi, then location services. Each time the phone would still get warm and eat up about 4 to 5 percent of the battery with 10 minutes of Kindle reading. Then I turned off all background apps and that didn't help either.

I think I'm going to reset my phone and see if that helps. Hopefully it won't turn into a brick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake52 View Post
    I did some more testing today with pretty bad results. I tried to find out what was causing my phone to eat up the battery and get warm while using the Kindle app so I messed around with the settings. I selectively turned off different things and read a book for 10 minutes each time. I turned off mobile data, then WiFi, then location services. Each time the phone would still get warm and eat up about 4 to 5 percent of the battery with 10 minutes of Kindle reading. Then I turned off all background apps and that didn't help either.

I think I'm going to reset my phone and see if that helps. Hopefully it won't turn into a brick.
    If you haven't already reset your phone can you try an experiment for me. Try a different charger. If you have chargers laying around from other phones, or anything that is micro USB and see if that makes a difference. My wife's phone seems to be cured by switching chargers and I am curious if that makes a difference for you

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    It's funny you say that, I actually tried a different charger earlier. My Nokia charger was upstairs so I grabbed a Logitech micro USB charger that I have for a Harmony remote. I plugged in the 920 and it seemed to work but the phone kept making weird noises. I think it kept thinking the charger was connecting and disconnecting, so I had to go get the normal charger. Sorry, that's the only other micro USB charger that I have.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    So I performed a reset on my phone the other night and everything went fine (no brick!!). I'm not sure if I'm getting better battery life but the "Battery Info" detail in settings is behaving differently then before.

It seemed that before the rest the battery percentage wasn't linear, the phone was able to sit around for a while before dropping below 100%. I was also able to use it for a little while without it dropping below 100%. This morning, after a full recharge, I used the phone for maybe 30 to 45 minutes surfing the web and exploring the app store. It's been almost 4 hours since it was fully charged and the battery percentage is down to 89% but it's also saying that I have 3 days and 15 hours left. Before the reset, the time remaining would've been way lower and the battery percentage probably would've been higher. I'm not sure if that's due to the reset or maybe the battery "breaking in".

Also, it seems like the phone isn't getting as warm as before while I'm actively using it during normal tasks. It did get really warm last night while I was playing Wordament but I found some posts where other people were having this same issue. It still seems strange to me that a basic game like Wordament taxes the phone so much to make it noticeably warm. Hopefully this is a software fix.

One note: The only major thing I didn't put back on my phone after the rest is my Gmail account. Maybe this was causing problems?

I tried all Facebook apps, all of them make my phone warm and battery goes down quicker than normal.

Leaving Xbox unchecked has help and only running necessary backround apps like Weather have made my battery life insane. I have 88% percent after unplugging my phone last night around 12am and it's not 4:26pm the next day with some light usage.
    All WP8: NFC, Skype, 3G/4G
    HTC: Attentive Phone
    Read my battery tips in the HTC 8X forum.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html

I turned off the top two options under the WiFi advanced settings and the extra screen sensitivity. I'm not sure if it helped or not but I didn't need or want those options anyway. I don't typically have any battery issues.

Also, how much power does the connect with xbox option need and what does it do?
    demonp82 likes this.
    Xbox connection if you allow for game invites probably requires some background task.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimateone View Post
    Leaving Xbox unchecked has help and only running necessary backround apps like Weather have made my battery life insane. I have 88% percent after unplugging my phone last night around 12am and it's not 4:26pm the next day with some light usage.
    What do you mean by leaving Xbox unchecked?
    I've not seen that tip before. Where is the setting for this?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by typhon62_1 View Post
    What do you mean by leaving Xbox unchecked?
    I've not seen that tip before. Where is the setting for this?

Thanks!
    Go to Games, settings - uncheck "Connect with Xbox"
    So basically make it a dumb phone?

With all those apps and settings other way - my phone still runs for about 14-15 hours, easy!

Kick in the battery saver and life will be awesome.

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimateone View Post
    Go to Games, settings - uncheck "Connect with Xbox"

Long time WM and Android user, still learning WP8 and don't quite know where everything is yet!
    Thanks!

Global Posts
    602 Global Posts
    Keeping the screen lit constantly to stare at your awesome tile setup is a known battery hog.
    Thanked by:

I installed weather flow yesterday with lock screen and the image live tiles (not metro tiles). The battery's been draining faster than before.
    Few minutes ago, before disabling Weather Flow's lockscreen and live image tiles:
    Remaining Battery life: 19%
    Estimated Time Remaining: less than 1hour
    Time since last charge: 7 hours

After disabling the lockscreen and live image tiles:
    Remaining Battery life: 28%
    Estimated Time Remaining: 2 hours

I have images for the same.

Quote Originally Posted by gbbg View Post
    I installed weather flow yesterday with lock screen and the image live tiles (not metro tiles). The battery's been draining faster than before.
    Few minutes ago, before disabling Weather Flow's lockscreen and live image tiles:
    Remaining Battery life: 19%
    Estimated Time Remaining: less than 1hour

After disabling the lockscreen and live image tiles:
    Remaining Battery life: 28%
    Estimated Time Remaining: 2 hours

I have images for the same.
    Interesting, I installed that yesterday too, expecting a drain. I have it set to update every 3 hours. Haven't noticed a difference. I'm at 12 hours now off the charger and still at 54% with medium usage and everything turned on.

I did get a decent bump by completely uninstalling Nokia Drive, I had it blocked before but uninstalling it made my remaining time in idle go from hours to days. Been 2nd day now since I did that and still good.

I think that sites with constant updates have to make the list. Especially ones with "live" comments system. I was browsing Engadget comments and the phone got really hot. Closed the phone, came back a few minutes later, and noticed that a lot more comments were added while the phone was idle.

I was experiencing battery drain and was having issues with my phone so I decided to hard reset which bricked my phone. I went through the reflashing process as posted on here and I have not had a single issue with battery drain since. Coming from the old days of custom Roms on WMobile I was always under the impression that once you flash your phone you hard reset it a few times to make sure it really takes hold. I'm wondering if Nokia skipped a step like this in their manufacturing process to speed up shipments. Anyway like I said once I reflashed and hard reset twice there have been zero issues.

I have Nokia drive but had no problem with battery. I had set updates to 1 hour on weather flow, may be why it blew the battery. Close to 8% now but planning into run it down all the way down.