Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Why oh why oh why... Do they have expandable memory on the lower end devices. And not on the top of the range devices???
    Banned

Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Because they pack so much power into high-end devices that they can't make a removable cover.

They have SD cards on android because it's the opposite.

#DroidRage

That doesn't really relate does it. The Bugatti Veyron still has doors and a hood! Down to 2GB on my 8x now and who knows what I'm going to need with updates and the like?!?

2gb? Damn, what does the 8x have? 8gb or 16gb or something?

You should store things in the cloud more :s .

an sd card for expandable memory should be standard on all windows phones, imo.

2 Gb? I have 1.5 Gb LOL on a "16Gb" model. Doesn't bother me though, as I will just delete songs that I don't listen to. And any films I want to watch can be transferred and removed in rotation.

Device: O2 HTC Windows Phone 8X 16Gb

And thats why I love the 920 ^^ .

Quote Originally Posted by Skeet1981 View Post
    Why oh why oh why... Do they have expandable memory on the lower end devices. And not on the top of the range devices???
    Unfortunately, they chose form over function on the high end devices. The unibody construction means we can't really open them up. It would have been nice if they could implement a door like they have for the SIM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slai View Post

Maybe homeboy (or girl) doesn't have a huge data plan?

That's why I knew any of the WP not featuring expandable memory was not the phones for me. I don't have unlimited data and I rather have my stuff local anyway. Not have to rely on whether I have service or not
    fifthGear likes this.

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    I thought on the 820 you had to remove the back plate to install the card so was miffed to find it just had a slot at the bottom of the phone. I would like to see the next gen devices embrace SD cards cloud storage simply is not viable for everyone yet.

Tony; perhaps. You can set it to only upload over wifi tho =)

Yeah, its a shame, but with time it actually helped me not to put too much crap on my phone...I keep most of my stuff on SkyDrive, and these days you can get hotspot almost anywhere, so its becoming less and less of a problem for me

Tony; perhaps. You can set it to only upload over wifi tho =)
    That's convenient if there were a WiFi spot in places where there normally isn't. I have about 20 minute walk to work. There isn't a WiFi spot following me last I checked. My wife and I do alot of driving. I don't even know if such a thing exist, but our car isn't emitting a WiFi signal. Sure, spots are becoming more prevalent. But that's dependent on whether or not your staying stationary and even then, you hope its an open signal.

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    We don't have many apps, so it's not like space is at a premium.

Global Posts
    1,467 Global Posts
    If you look at Nokia's line-up, the differences between the "top of the range" device and the first "lower end device" with an SD slot are few. You lose .7mp and PureView in the camera, replaced with an in-all-other-aspects-exactly-the-same Carl Zeiss powered 8mp camera, and you get a smaller, lower-resolution yet still awesome PureBlack AMOLED 800x480 display (which is way better than the non-Retina iPhone displays on the 3GS and before). In all other respects, it's the same phone.

So while the 820 isn't the "top of the range" devices, I certainly wouldn't consider it a "lower end device".

Global Posts
    1,467 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Moe View Post
    I thought on the 820 you had to remove the back plate to install the card so was miffed to find it just had a slot at the bottom of the phone.
    You do have to remove the back on the 820; I believe that "slot" at the bottom of the phone is the speaker.

That's convenient if there were a WiFi spot in places where there normally isn't. I have about 20 minute walk to work. There isn't a WiFi spot following me last I checked. My wife and I do alot of driving. I don't even know if such a thing exist, but our car isn't emitting a WiFi signal. Sure, spots are becoming more prevalent. But that's dependent on whether or not your staying stationary and even then, you hope its an open signal.
    Youre telling me you go 16gig worth of pictures between WiFi connections? Thats impressive. I guess Im spoiled, we have wifi in most coffee-shops, i have it at home, theres one at work, etc.

Youre telling me you go 16gig worth of pictures between WiFi connections? Thats impressive. I guess Im spoiled, we have wifi in most coffee-shops, i have it at home, theres one at work, etc.
    Not sure where pictures came into the equation. My concern for storage is about my 30+ gigs worth of music.

As far as WiFi connections go, my wife works for a university. We have an apartment on campus provided to us as part of her contract. So we have the schools WiFi access. Problem is it doesn't stay connected. You have to keep connecting which is very inconvenient. My work has WiFi. But I'm usually too busy to use it for anything other than quick emailing. And I don't frequent coffee shops except to grab a coffee or eat lunch. I'll use data to upload the a photo or two. And now that I'm on a shared plan, streaming is definitely not an option. If I'd could afford it, I would love to rely on the cloud. Its just more economically better to just dump all my music onto the phone and listen to it when I please

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtim View Post
    You do have to remove the back on the 820; I believe that "slot" at the bottom of the phone is the speaker.
    Yep you are right I just had a look at the user guide, but at a quick glance it sure looked like a little card slot.

Global Posts
    1,467 Global Posts
    ...that would be rad if it were an SD slot, though. :)

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Cloud storage is a great added feature and amazing for documents, but it misses by a mile when it comes to photos and music because data isn't unlimited anymore.

Music is the culprit here and streaming your entire music collection on the go will eat through the average data plan in no time.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    If you look at Nokia's line-up, the differences between the "top of the range" device and the first "lower end device" with an SD slot are few. You lose .7mp and PureView in the camera, replaced with an in-all-other-aspects-exactly-the-same Carl Zeiss powered 8mp camera, and you get a smaller, lower-resolution yet still awesome PureBlack AMOLED 800x480 display (which is way better than the non-Retina iPhone displays on the 3GS and before). In all other respects, it's the same phone.

So while the 820 isn't the "top of the range" devices, I certainly wouldn't consider it a "lower end device".
    This guy is making me mad enough to bite my own teeth. He just compared the screen of a phone that came out a month ago to a screen that came out in 2009.

Having a screen that beats the iphone3gs isn't a plus today... Its a requirement. It also has a better screen than an etch-a-sketch but there is a reason Nokia doesn't go around touting that fact

Global Posts
    1,715 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gar216 View Post
    This guy is making me mad enough to bite my own teeth. He just compared the screen of a phone that came out a month ago to a screen that came out in 2009.

Having a screen that beats the iphone3gs isn't a plus today... Its a requirement. It also has a better screen than an etch-a-sketch but there is a reason Nokia doesn't go around touting that fact
    You probably need anger management classes if you're getting mad about phone screens.

Heck, I used the 4S for about a year and there is really nothing special about that screen. The 820/822 would probably be 'retina' if they crammed it down to a teeny tiny 3.5". No way in a million years I would go back to such a small screen, even the 5 is an inferior screen at only 4". I've only ever gotten the high end phones and I'm STILL blown away by the 822.

Global Posts
    1,467 Global Posts
    This guy is making me mad enough to bite my own teeth.
    Take a chill pill. Go outside, enjoy the fresh air, get away from computers and smartphones for a while. You're wound too tight.

He just compared the screen of a phone that came out a month ago to a screen that came out in 2009.
    Doesn't matter when it came out, the iPhone's "retina display" is the yardstick by which almost all other displays are measured in the industry today. Referencing the 3GS - Apple's last NON "retina display" smartphone - is just a way to use a benchmark people are familiar with. Ye gads.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts

The Nokia 510, 610 and Asha series are the lower end devices. I'd call the 820 firmly mid-range.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast