Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    BTW SD card slots are fine, but you can't run apps off them. I'd rather have more built-in memory if you're going to make me choose one or the other. The Lumia 920 is the obvious choice here IMO. At 32 GB I am NEVER going to wish I had an SD card slot. I didn't even use up the 16 GB on my Lumia 900.

Global Posts
    1,467 Global Posts
    That's a good point, about not running apps from the SD card.

That said, I think I've installed all of 3 apps above and beyond the stock apps (I had more but I uninstalled Twitter and Facebook in favor of the built-in integration.) So I don't need a lot of "app space", the 8gb in my 820 serves me fine. Media space, on the other hand, I both want and need. :)

Global Posts
    1,568 Global Posts
    I was checking my storage the other day and saw I had 13 gb free. My first thought was, "Dang I'm glad I don't have 16gb..."

Not sure where pictures came into the equation. My concern for storage is about my 30+ gigs worth of music.
    Ah thats another situation alltogether, if you need 30gigs of music on the phone, choosing a phone with 16gig and no SD card might be a bad choice. As such I just assumed this was space that was used during normal use, such as downloading apps and taking video/pictures.

As far as WiFi connections go, my wife works for a university. We have an apartment on campus provided to us as part of her contract. So we have the schools WiFi access. Problem is it doesn't stay connected. You have to keep connecting which is very inconvenient. My work has WiFi. But I'm usually too busy to use it for anything other than quick emailing. And I don't frequent coffee shops except to grab a coffee or eat lunch. I'll use data to upload the a photo or two. And now that I'm on a shared plan, streaming is definitely not an option. If I'd could afford it, I would love to rely on the cloud. Its just more economically better to just dump all my music onto the phone and listen to it when I please
    Yeah as said, I wasnt thinking about storing music :) .

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet1981 View Post
    That doesn't really relate does it. The Bugatti Veyron still has doors and a hood! Down to 2GB on my 8x now and who knows what I'm going to need with updates and the like?!?
    Yeah. But, you sacrifice trunk/boot space in the Veyron. You ain't getting more than a small suitcase or a set of golf clubs in that bad boy.

Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyn6 View Post
    Yeah. But, you sacrifice trunk/boot space in the Veyron. You ain't getting more than a small suitcase or a set of golf clubs in that bad boy.
    luckily, the Lumia 920 is no veryon, though they are coming out with a sedan version, soon.

At any rate, think of the Lumia 920 as the Acura TL - thoughtfully done, several great and unique features, but it just isn't for everyone, and at times, it lacks a few of the other advanced features appearing in its class. I'd say NO phone has reached the 7 series, S class, Lexus LS level, yet, much less supercar territory... If any of that remotely approaches legible sense.

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    lol @ 30+ gigs of music

Having an SD slot on a smartphone is like having a floppy drive on a PC.

Global Posts
    1,467 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by michail71 View Post
    Having an SD slot on a smartphone is like having a floppy drive on a PC.

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Put me in the camp that wishes my 920 had an SD slot. I have 1.1GB of space left, and I REALLY wish I had more. I have a buttload of videos for my kids, and 14GB of music. I take lots of photos of my kids, and taking HD video eats up space REALLY REALLY FAST, way more than my skydrive can handle. I travel for work a lot (requiring roaming) so I load a lot of maps, and store Nokia mix radio. There are legitmate needs for lots of storage space. I'd do anything to put in a 64GB card.
    --------------
    Lloyd
    Lumia 1520, 1020, 920, 820, 810, 625, 620, and 520
    iPhone 4s, Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus1982 View Post
    2 Gb? I have 1.5 Gb LOL on a "16Gb" model. Doesn't bother me though, as I will just delete songs that I don't listen to. And any films I want to watch can be transferred and removed in rotation.
    Exactly Morph. My sentiments 1000%!! I have months worth of music at home. I don't need it on my phone all at once. Even with my old school XP PC, I find it convenient to swap out tracks, albums and what not, depending on my mood. About 5 minutes for 2 days worth of music. I do stream a lot too (I am in lust, no love, with Soundcloud!!). Pics, throw on skydrive, a lot of bids and music can go there too. I've over 3.5gb on my setup and I have more apps, games and music than I need. I personally am cool with a 16gb phone. But, that's me.

Happy Holidays!!!!
    From the CO and my 8X

Quote Originally Posted by Team Obi Juan View Post
    lol @ 30+ gigs of music
    That said. Huh!! A 60 minute walk to work takes a good 40-60mb house mix. I don't know. But then, what I deem a requirement, to another might be fluff. Who am I to judge.

My advice is, if you need all that space, grab an 810, 820 or 822, or even 610 if your into Nokia. The 8S if HTC. Or hold out for Sammy's ATIV. They all seem to be solid devices. If you're within your exchange timeframe, take another option for a test drive. What could you possibly have to lose??

If you need to haul plywood, concrete, tools and guys, you're not going to buy a Corvette, Harley, Bugatti or Porsche. You're getting a big truck. On the other hand, if you can make good with that something swift, sleek, sexy, that's just mmmm, the former is for you. I love my 8X for said reasons!! But, its "ride" is right for me.

All said, I'm loving that we DO have all these options with WP8. And its a testament to the platform that there's these "problems".

Happy Holiday!;
    From the CO and my 8X

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Miller1 View Post
    an sd card for expandable memory should be standard on all windows phones, imo.
    Totally agree! It should be like the camera button being standard (which is a great idea by the way).

Michael

Global Posts
    1,376 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AccentAE86 View Post
    Put me in the camp that wishes my 920 had an SD slot. I have 1.1GB of space left, and I REALLY wish I had more. I have a buttload of videos for my kids, and 14GB of music. I take lots of photos of my kids, and taking HD video eats up space REALLY REALLY FAST, way more than my skydrive can handle. I travel for work a lot (requiring roaming) so I load a lot of maps, and store Nokia mix radio. There are legitmate needs for lots of storage space. I'd do anything to put in a 64GB card.
    Sounds like you need a tablet w/ 128Gb of storage.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...

Or even a tablet period. Great suggestion. Feeling homesick, pull it out. Most likely would be it the hotel anyway
    From the CO and my 8X
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyshaw View Post
    luckily, the Lumia 920 is no veryon, though they are coming out with a sedan version, soon.

At any rate, think of the Lumia 920 as the Acura TL - thoughtfully done, several great and unique features, but it just isn't for everyone, and at times, it lacks a few of the other advanced features appearing in its class. I'd say NO phone has reached the 7 series, S class, Lexus LS level, yet, much less supercar territory... If any of that remotely approaches legible sense.
    Nah the Lumia is the Mercedes E-class.

The HTC 8X is the Acura TL.

I have a 25Gb SkyDrive. Didn't feel the need for a SD slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Obi Juan View Post
    lol @ 30+ gigs of music
    Not sure why that's funny. I listen to pretty much everything outside of classical and death metal.

This is a big problem for me, too. I could easily fill most of a 64gb SD card with my music library (transcoded to 128kbps), nevermind apps, etc. Even with a 32GB phone like the 920, it may be difficult to buy that if there is another 32GB Windows phone available with an SD slot. A 16GB phone with an SD slot may even be preferable to a 32GB phone without one in my case. If Nokia's successor to the 920 on Verizon fails to have an SD slot, I may go with another brand that does have one.

Of course, I'd still prefer 32GB on the phone itself in addition to the SD slot, as you cannot store apps on an SD card from what I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDedrick View Post
    Not sure why that's funny. I listen to pretty much everything outside of classical and death metal.
    This is, as I saw it and quoted earlier, a "huh".. As in why would you seriously "NEED" 30+gb of music on your phone, especially if you're home every, or at least most nights. Less than 2gb, even 1gb at lower quality, is plenty to have over 24 continuous hours of music playing. That said, I can definitely understand a desire to have maybe 5-6gb dedicated for music. A weeks worth of mp3's.

At "normal" usage, it'll take you months and months to get thru 30+gb of tunes on your phone. That is where the lol came from, as I see it. Humorous to me too. Just sayin.
    From the CO and my 8X

I previously had a HD7 which had 16gb and I now have the 8X with 16gb, on both phones I never seem to use up more than about 5 or 6gb's and that's after apps and music. Personally I just stick to music that I would listen to rather than stick my whole collection onto a phone, even if the phone was capable of removable storage I do not think I would use it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by henry.gray View Post
    I previously had a HD7 which had 16gb and I now have the 8X with 16gb, on both phones I never seem to use up more than about 5 or 6gb's and that's after apps and music. Personally I just stick to music that I would listen to rather than stick my whole collection onto a phone, even if the phone was capable of removable storage I do not think I would use it anyway.
    Exactly, I have months of music (that's played continuously, like well over 100 days). It would realistically take 1-1/2 to 2 YEARS to go through all that. I spend about 5 minutes every other day or so and sync what my mood tells me I'm going to want to hear.
    From the CO and my 8X

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I'd say it doesn't have an SD slot for the same reason it doesn't have a floppy drive, Centronics parallel port, cassette drive interface, or VME bus slot. Obsolete.

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I can understand the desire for a Micro SD slot, but personally I'm fine without one. I don't store a lot of music on my phone, and I never have any video on there (unless I have recorded it on the phone). Nokia Music is a great solution, even with saving mixes offline - it doesn't appear to take up too much space.

Quote Originally Posted by juanitoriv View Post
    This is, as I saw it and quoted earlier, a "huh".. As in why would you seriously "NEED" 30+gb of music on your phone, especially if you're home every, or at least most nights. Less than 2gb, even 1gb at lower quality, is plenty to have over 24 continuous hours of music playing. That said, I can definitely understand a desire to have maybe 5-6gb dedicated for music. A weeks worth of mp3's.

At "normal" usage, it'll take you months and months to get thru 30+gb of tunes on your phone. That is where the lol came from, as I see it. Humorous to me too. Just sayin.
    If you use your phone as your primary/only portable music player, then it does make a difference. Especially with wireless sync now missing on wp8, it's not very convenient to copy music back and forth every night. That also presumes that you know in advance what you feel like listening to on any given day. The whole point and convenience of mp3 pmp's was to be able to take a good chunk of your music collection with you, and be able to decide on the fly what to listen to. I'm currently listening to a playlist that has about 50 hours of music, set to randomly skip between tracks. It currently lives on my phone as well as my computer. That's for 1 genre of music where 70% of the selections don't exist in the Xbox Music cloud, and there are 10-12 genres on my phone. Also, my entire collection is 320kbps mp3s, because I listen to it on decent equipment, where you notice 128/192kbps compression. That can start to eat up space fairly quickly.

Just because you don't use your device in a way that requires space for media doesn't mean that others who do have no valid reason. That doesn't even touch bringing video with you, which requires a lot more space (quite a few of my non-DRM videos are ~1GB each). I'm waiting for the Ativ S primarily because of the space restrictions on the other high end devices (that and the replaceable battery for gaming).

PS. - That one playlist I mentioned... it's about 3.3 GB of files, not counting the Xbox Music/Zune Pass tracks.
    Last edited by VelJharig; 12-09-2012 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Adding PS
    Thanked by:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast