Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

So we know that WpCentral and others have learned that MS will be "announcing" in February a coming Update to fix and add to the Windows Phone 8 OS. I think we can all agree that any and all Updates are welcome. However, I certainly hope that going forward, Updates are handled as essential to users and it is more important to get them out ASAP.

I find the idea of "announcing" an update at some conference annoying. I also dont like the idea of waiting for updates until they have a bunch together to package. We have OTA now. Put out Updates as they are available as often as possible. If there is a period where we dont have any because MS is working on things that take more time, a few months or so, fine. But how many out of what they are announcing in February, are ready or very near ready right this second?

I certainly hope they handle it better than they do the Updates for Xbox. Sure, if a fix needs to be done, they wont wait too long on it. But bigger updates they wait until specified intervals to start pushing out. Xbox, being over the internet, could have always been updated whenever MS wants. Yet they usually kept to a specific schedule.

I will stress that I understand SOME things take more time than others. Thats fine. But with OTA available, push things out as you can. I could give a damn about you wanting it to announce it here or there at some conference. Put your own silly press release out instead, call a news conference if you want. Just get these updates out to us loyal customers sooner, there is no excuse not to.
    This is 100% conjecture on my end, but I would expect announced updates to be those that are bringing new features to the OS. The point of the announcement? To give debs a bit of time to implement new goodies. Stuff like bug fixes and the like I would THINK would come sooner. And those probably won't be announced. I expect them to just roll out.

Global Posts
    1,715 Global Posts
    They have also said they will have some type of "early adapter" program where us fanboys can sign up and get beta/early updates. I have not seen much more about that though....

Windows Phone 8 updates coming over the air, early access to 'registered enthusiasts,' 18 month support program announced