Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Again I know all these things, & I know how it's supposed to work I've had a WP for 2 years. The point is I shouldn't have to do a hard reset to get it to work in the 1st place, new phone or new OS.

I don't know why you would care about word of mouth on WP8 so much. Regardless, u are correct that the phone should work as advertised. Try a hard reset and see if it helps. Now as a warning the one issue I did have with my L920 was when I reset back to factory. It got stuck on the reset screen and wouldn't reboot. But there is a fix for it if it does happen.

Global Posts
    1,360 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinsonmac View Post
    Again I know all these things, & I know how it's supposed to work I've had a WP for 2 years
    Then you should also know that above and beyond some of the actual issues with WP8, you need to get your daughter's buggy device exchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul May View Post
    You would be surprised at how many trolls we get on forums like this. I am an admin on another forum related to windows phones and your post certainly sounded that way. There was no offence intended, just offering my thoughts. Anyway before you return the phone try a hard reset. It could have been a bad flash on the rom from factory. Its worth a try.
    Thanks Paul, I uninstalled the Skype app & hard reset it. My point is that most users don't come to forums. They see the tv ads or one of us tells them sells them on getting one & between MS, hardware makers & the carriers, this "re-launch needed to go a lot better. Not saying all is lost & it's game over, just that it's been a lessthan steller launch. Same goes for IOS 6 & Iphone 5 but they have 4 times the market share & crazy followers....
    Klevis likes this.

I don't know why you would care about word of mouth on WP8 so much. Regardless, u are correct that the phone should work as advertised. Try a hard reset and see if it helps. Now as a warning the one issue I did have with my L920 was when I reset back to factory. It got stuck on the reset screen and wouldn't reboot. But there is a fix for it if it does happen.
    I'm worried because word of mouth is much more powerful adverstising that any commercial ever could be & if you have a bunch of WP newbies having issues & telling aeveryone they know about it, it is hard to keep momentum....
    11B1P likes this.

Global Posts
    1,360 Global Posts
    if you have a bunch of WP newbies having issues & telling aeveryone they know about it, it is hard to keep momentum....
    Yeah, like the iPhone 4's antenna issues. That sure slowed the iPhone's momentum.

Look, every phone model and OS has problems. What's going to cause more problems than the issues themselves is when people hold on to bad phones and complain about them instead of taking them back and getting them addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtim View Post
    Yeah, like the iPhone 4's antenna issues. That sure slowed the iPhone's momentum.

Look, every phone model and OS has problems. What's going to cause more problems than the issues themselves is when people hold on to bad phones and complain about them instead of taking them back and getting them addressed.
    Yeah like those issues, but they still sold how many of them, the 4S & 5? WP can't afford those kind of issues right now with where the market share is without slowing adoption of the OS & re-inforcing reasons not to adopt WP.
    Klevis likes this.

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berty6294 View Post
    Yeh, I have not heard of any of the problems your speaking of! I have only heard incredible things about windows phone! (heard some not so pleasant things about the 920s hardware specifically)
    There are plenty of well-documented issues right here in this forum that are Windows Phone 8 specific and are not a result of the Lumia hardware.

Although I'm keeping my Lumia because I enjoy the fluidity of the OS, I cannot at this point recommend a WP8 based phone to anyone that I know unless they like to "tinker" with their phone.

How awful is it when every time someone asks me how I like my new Windows phone I tell them it is great BUT...is it ever good when you have to epilogue it with various issues that have been experienced?

As I have stated before...EVERY OS has issues/bugs and I expected a certain amount of problems when trying to switch from iOS to WP8 BUT, a new kernel/new OS or whatever, is no excuse for the music sync and music player not to work properly at launch. Everyone I know uses their smartphone as an music player even if they have an iPod just so they don't have to always carry multiple devices around and the broken music sync/player is a huge issue.

The broken music sync/player situation hurts anyone that is trying to transition from iOS and/or anyone that has used iTunes to 'RIP' their music collection as I know unequivocally that I am not the only one who's phone cannot "see" their music once it has been moved over to the phone that has purchased music from iTunes or has used iTunes to 'RIP' their music collection...and no it is not a DRM issue as I have no DRM'd songs in my library.

...and for anyone to state "nothing to see here...move along" is just BS - there are issues with WP8
    Last edited by AZBrowncoat; 12-02-2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: fixed grammer

I'll give you the music app and sync experience - though that doesn't as much seem like stability issues as just plain poor design and missed opportunities. It also feels, unfortunately, like something that hurts those of us who came from WP7 and Zune music collection management more than newer users who weren't used to that (near perfect imo) experience.

Otherwise, I have to report my Lumia 920 has been behaving perfectly. Truly, my single complaint about the entire experience is Microsoft's music app - in every other category I can find nothing to complain about.

Global Posts
    1,360 Global Posts
    Yeah like those issues, but they still sold how many of them, the 4S & 5? WP can't afford those kind of issues right now with were the market share is without slowing adoption of the OS & re-inforcing reasons not to adopt WP.
    This is why people are questioning your troll-hood. Rather than accept some of the solutions presented to you - such as exchange the faulty phone - you want to go on arguing how a 15 year-old can damage WP's momentum by complaining about her faulty phone. If you exchange her phone, get her one that works, she'll be happy and then loudly praise the phone, which will put your concerns to rest.

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Get the phone exchanged if you're still having problems then get back to us.
    11B1P likes this.

Why wouldn't a WP fan care about word of mouth?
    cp2_4eva likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtim View Post
    This is why people are questioning your troll-hood. Rather than accept some of the solutions presented to you - such as exchange the faulty phone - you want to go on arguing how a 15 year-old can damage WP's momentum by complaining about her faulty phone. If you exchange her phone, get her one that works, she'll be happy and then loudly praise the phone, which will put your concerns to rest.
    If you actually read the my replies, I have already hard reset the phone & uninstalled the skype app & things are good now. If the issues come back after use today it will go back. But that's not the point of the post & you are a blind fanboy if you think these kind of issues & the the power of 15 yr old or any other age group of people's word of mouth experiance has on a product. It's the holiday season & there are millions of parents gettig ready to or have already bought a new phone for their kids. All these kids will spread either good or bad experiance with their new device & others will base what they get on what their friends &/or family have to say about them..... Then the cycle repeats over & over

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    All phones have issues at launch from android to IOS, it seems like some people in this forum make it sound like WP is the only os with issues, I've experienced freezing, random shut off, battery drains, reception issues on many android and iPhone devices. No company can test as effectively as the general public. Most of the time when there is a issue it's not do to rushed software, but the actual hardware running it. There is no best phone or os, only the best phone for you.
    iamtim likes this.

Global Posts
    1,360 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robinsonmac View Post
    you are a blind fanboy
    lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 1fishermun View Post
    All phones have issues at launch from android to IOS, it seems like some people in this forum make it sound like WP is the only os with issues, I've experienced freezing, random shut off, battery drains, reception issues on many android and iPhone devices. No company can test as effectively as the general public. Most of the time when there is a issue it's not do to rushed software, but the actual hardware running it. There is no best phone or os, only the best phone for you.
    I agree with everything you said but in the reality we live in WP has 3.4% market share Droid has 57% & Apple 35% in order to catch up WP has to do better than them when it comesto issues, period.

Global Posts
    2,708 Global Posts
    I have activated two 822's (previously had a Trophy) and while I agree that the syncing of music is not as good as WP7, it is workable. I had "activation issues" on one and had to call Verizon and they activated it manually. The other activated itself. When you have a 4G device on Verizon, it takes 20-30 minutes to get going on the network. It's just the way it is.

As far as not opening core apps, that is certainly a problem, but it is not one I have read about on these forums and I am on here every day.

Exactly what problems are you having with texting and email?

I'm sorry your experience has been negative, but especially with the 822, I think it is the exception.
    Klevis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBrowncoat View Post
    There are plenty of well-documented issues right here in this forum that are Windows Phone 8 specific and are not a result of the Lumia hardware.

Although I'm keeping my Lumia because I enjoy the fluidity of the OS, I cannot at this point recommend a WP8 based phone to anyone that I know unless they like to "tinker" with their phone.

How awful is it when every time someone asks me how I like my new Windows phone I tell them it is great BUT...is it ever good when you have to epilogue it with various issues that have been experienced?

As I have stated before...EVERY OS has issues/bugs and I expected a certain amount of problems when trying to switch from iOS to WP8 BUT, a new kernel/new OS or whatever, is no excuse for the music sync and music player not to work properly at launch. Everyone I know uses their smartphone as an music player even if they have an iPod just so they don't have to always carry multiple devices around and the broken music sync/player is a huge issue.

The broken music sync/player situation hurts anyone that is trying to transition from iOS and/or anyone that has used iTunes to 'RIP' their music collection as I know unequivocally that I am not the only one who's phone cannot "see" their music once it has been moved over to the phone that has purchased music from iTunes or has used iTunes to 'RIP' their music collection...and no it is not a DRM issue as I have no DRM'd songs in my library.

...and for anyone to state "nothing to see here...move along" is just BS - there are issues with WP8
    Very well said, better than I could, apparently.....

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDedrick View Post
    Why wouldn't a WP fan care about word of mouth?
    I think that is something MS needs to worry about. Its their product. I guarantee there are more positive reviews than negative with the OS and hardware through word of mouth. That's why we have all the people posting in the forums from people who have converted from iOS and android.

Microsoft admitted that they rushed WP8 to market.

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I agree with everything you said but in the reality we live in WP has 3.4% market share Droid has 57% & Apple 35% in order to catch up WP has to do better than them when it comesto issues, period.
    Among my friends & family I'm the "techie" - so when they ask me what computer or what phone should I get my word carries some weight and as it stands I'm suggesting that they stay with Android if they have anything invested in the Android platform or that they stay with iOS if they have anything invested in the iOS platform.

If they don't have anything invested in either platform (switching to a smartphone) or they don't have a significant investment in either platform I suggest to them only to look at WP8 if their music is all MP3 files but if they have predominately AAC files I suggest that they get an iPhone.

I'd love to be able to tell them without reservation that WP8 is solid...but it is simply not.

Microsoft's only chance at this point with WP8 is to "build a better mousetrap" which so far they have not done, so they need to fix the software problems and count on synergies that can be built between Windows Phone 8, Windows 8 and Xbox to capture market share, but if enough users have a negative experience with WP8 and negative word-of-mouth spreads than WP8 will join the Kin and Zune in the scrapheap.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    I have activated two 822's (previously had a Trophy) and while I agree that the syncing of music is not as good as WP7, it is workable. I had "activation issues" on one and had to call Verizon and they activated it manually. The other activated itself. When you have a 4G device on Verizon, it takes 20-30 minutes to get going on the network. It's just the way it is.

As far as not opening core apps, that is certainly a problem, but it is not one I have read about on these forums and I am on here every day.

Exactly what problems are you having with texting and email?

I'm sorry your experience has been negative, but especially with the 822, I think it is the exception.
    Thanks, I was surpised by the issues as well with the 822 because I have also noticed the lack of issues with them. SHe was not able to open the app it would go back to start screen. email would get stuck syncing. I hard reset it made sure the Nokia updates were installed & told her do not install the skype app! Did the work around to get her music & vids on the phone, so that good now as well.

Interestinly enough she asked about certain apps that are not available for WP & I told her that the OS is new & that their would be more apps in the coming months she was total ok with it. I pointed her to some WP apps with the same functionality & she was good to go.
    Thanked by:
    11B1P 

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Ok, this is just BS. Now I'm trolling for expressing my thoughts.... Come on, what, do I need to post a pic showing you my Trophy to prove I'm really a WP user WTF!
    Sometimes WP fans on this forum are a little quick to blame the messenger and make troll accusations. There are enough posts on these forums to show that some people have had problems with new windows phones. In my own case, I've had an 822 since mid-November, and it's been smooth sailing. No reboots, no hangs, no problems except for a few glitches with specific apps (downloading a language for the translator app was a long and clunky experience, for example). There was a learning curve but it wasn't nearly as steep as when I briefly tried an Android phone. The drift on these forums suggests that most 822 owners are very happy campers.

But it's clear that some people haven't been so lucky, and some have run into problems in the show-stopper range. In at least some cases, replacing the phone clears things up, so that might solve the problem. And, as some have suggested, your daughter may need some help getting over the initial transition to a new phone and operating system. The 822 won't do everything an iPhone can do, but it can do things the iPhone can't. My wife and kids all have iPhones, and I'm the tech consultant on my wife's phone (believe me, she needed a lot of help making the transition from an aging Palm Pre). But when it came time to buy a new phone for myself, after a brief Android fling I jumped to the Nokia. I'm very happy with the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by AZBrowncoat View Post
    Among my friends & family I'm the "techie" - so when they ask me what computer or what phone should I get my word carries some weight and as it stands I'm suggesting that they stay with Android if they have anything invested in the Android platform or that they stay with iOS if they have anything invested in the iOS platform.

If they don't have anything invested in either platform (switching to a smartphone) or they don't have a significant investment in either platform I suggest to them only to look at WP8 if their music is all MP3 files but if they have predominately AAC files I suggest that they get an iPhone.

I'd love to be able to tell them without reservation that WP8 is solid...but it is simply not.

Microsoft's only chance at this point with WP8 is to "build a better mousetrap" which so far they have not done, so they need to fix the software problems and count on synergies that can be built between Windows Phone 8, Windows 8 and Xbox to capture market share, but if enough users have a negative experience with WP8 and negative word-of-mouth spreads than WP8 will join the Kin and Zune in the scrapheap.
    I hate to use a car anolylogy but it's a good example. Hyundai no matter if you like them or not had to "build a better moustrap" by just making their cars better. They tried all the other gimics to get people to buy but, but still had a bad product. They made leaps & bounds market share gains by just making a better product. Now I'm not saying they are the best or have the best cars, just pointing out that they only saw big market share gains when they improved their product & customer experiance. With that came the changes in consumer perception that it is ok to buy a Hyundai product. All cars have issues, some more, some less. What they did is build cars that have less problems than the established cars.

MS needs to make sure their OS new kernal or not, new hardware or not, has fewer not the same amount or more issues than the leading iphone & droids. Droid has made that pretty easy with all the issues they have & Apple is stumbling more lately...

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    That's very true,
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast