Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 63
Like Tree25Likes
  1. travisel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    182 Posts
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
       #1  
    Windows Phone 8.1 Apollo Plus @ GSMA Mobile World Congress 2013 | The Mobile Industry

    March 2013 WP8.1 update what new fixes & additional features will they have?
    ATIV S is LIFE
  2. iPwnza's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    236 Posts
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    #2  
    Right now, just a lot of various bugfixes and possibly nofitication center...
  3. fardream's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    352 Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by iPwnza View Post
    Right now, just a lot of various bugfixes and possibly nofitication center...
    Four months with only bug fixes.... They are making sure I will not get a WP again?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by fardream View Post
    Four months with only bug fixes.... They are making sure I will not get a WP again?
    Why? Does every other year phone give you new features every 4 months? Last I checked, Android handsets are waiting for official updates that were released 2 years ago
  5. ksj1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    44 Posts
    #5  
    According to the Verge, VPN support, wireless fix (always on), audio improvements and a notification center are all possible, as well as other bug fixes.
    Thanked by:
  6. Joelist's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    174 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    #6  
    Exactly. iOS doesn't do off cycle bugfixes unless the bug is a complete show stopper and Android doesn't do them even if the bug is a show stopper.

    So far they have a group of minor (and yes they are minor) bugs to squash and some functionality slated to be added. About as expected.

    Now if they want to make me REALLY smile include text reflow in IE - and also patch Microsoft Reader to do the same and to allow you to edit the history.
    Slai likes this.
  7. fardream's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    352 Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Rodriguez Jr. View Post
    Why? Does every other year phone give you new features every 4 months? Last I checked, Android handsets are waiting for official updates that were released 2 years ago
    if Xbox music does sync and playlists, if we can watch Xbox video, if we can secure storage card and connect to exchange ActiveSync, if PDF reader allows delete and there is a way to choose from fast resume and new app instance, i will not complain.....
  8. sluffmo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    #8  
    *crosses fingers* Hoping for ISIS support since Austin in a pilot city, and places are starting to take it.
  9. Kebero's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    #9  
    Am I the only one who doesn't think that the Wi-Fi "bug" isn't an issue?
  10. philpeeps's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kebero View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't think that the Wi-Fi "bug" isn't an issue?
    I have used 2GB in 12 days of my billing cycle with an identical use case of my iPhone 4. On my iPhone 4, the most data I used in a month is 1.5 GB when including streaming Slingbox for ~1 full football game.

    On WP8, I have done nothing nearly as data intensive and am connected to wifi at home and work (so 90% of the time), yet am on pace to to use over 3 times as much data...
  11. #11  
    Whether the competiton pushes updates or not is irrelevant. There are some pretty huge issues (reboots, crashes, freezes) that need addressing. There are also plenty of features WP8 is missing that have come to be considered basic. MS can;t just do what others are doing. They are playing catch up. They need to bring the features in between the "big" updates, or else this platform will not see the adoption that it needs to be viable.
    cp2_4eva and Hiiiiiiiii like this.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    I have used 2GB in 12 days of my billing cycle with an identical use case of my iPhone 4. On my iPhone 4, the most data I used in a month is 1.5 GB when including streaming Slingbox for ~1 full football game.

    On WP8, I have done nothing nearly as data intensive and am connected to wifi at home and work (so 90% of the time), yet am on pace to to use over 3 times as much data...
    Something is wonky with your settings. Unless you are getting emails by the truckload, I can't see how your phone, while idle, is downloading this much data.
  13. sibrecat's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    44 Posts
    #13  
    Gapless music playback would be nice
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express
    fifthGear likes this.
  14. philpeeps's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    657 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
    Something is wonky with your settings. Unless you are getting emails by the truckload, I can't see how your phone, while idle, is downloading this much data.
    It is likely due to music streaming changing from wifi to LTE when the screen goes off...which I did plenty on my iPhone 4 that would stay connected to wifi networks for streaming...
  15. Digital Moe's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    170 Posts
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    #15  
    I hope they don't do a half *** job with the Wifi I find it extremely annoying that no matter what signal strength you have for your Wifi connection it always reports as full strength you can only see the real connection if you go into the WiFi settings. That just seems like the silliest implementation possible.
    fifthGear, Hiiiiiiiii and Slai like this.
  16. PG2G's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    453 Posts
    #16  
    I thought it would stick with whatever connection you were using when it started. The issue I have read about that was because they started streaming stuff before the WiFi reconnected.
  17. jsk0703's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    111 Posts
    #17  
    I'd rather see the Microsoft follow their monthly "patch Tuesday" approach with WP8. Save the big updates for things like UI changes and new features.
  18. tebugg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    363 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsk0703 View Post
    I'd rather see the Microsoft follow their monthly "patch Tuesday" approach with WP8. Save the big updates for things like UI changes and new features.
    i would love for this to happen. sort of like how RPG games patch on a certain day of the week. it adds consistency and everyone else in the world that uses that product will know when to expect something.
  19. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kebero View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't think that the Wi-Fi "bug" isn't an issue?
    Nope, you're not alone.

    I don't use WiFi while my phone is asleep and I don't have 46 email accounts and tiles updating themselves every 30 seconds on a 250 MB a month data plan.
  20. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,749 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,403 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    Nope, you're not alone.

    I don't use WiFi while my phone is asleep and I don't have 46 email accounts and tiles updating themselves every 30 seconds on a 250 MB a month data plan.
    2 email addresses on PUSH. Plus 2 more soon to be on using IMAP (domain email addresses, I'm setting up my website). Plenty of live tiles and such, streaming music. Thank goodness I'm on The One Plan so data limits aren't an issue.

    "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
  21. jdhooghe's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    504 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    #21  
    What is this WiFi bug?
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    HTC Droid Incredible --> Apple iPhone 4S --> Nokia Lumia 920 --> BlackBerry Z10 --> HTC One --> iPhone 5
  22. #22  
    The WiFi bug turns your WiFi off when the screen is locked causing you to use mobile data while you thought you were using WiFi .. Its a bummer for me haha
  23. Etyrnus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    340 Posts
    #23  
    One simple fix until the WiFi update. Turn off cellular data when you're linked to WiFi. I've been doing that while using Netflix, iheartradio, etc. Only downside is if someone texts you a pic you have to turn cellular data back on to receive it.
    Arguing with an ***** is like playing chess with a pigeon.
    You could be the greatest player in the world, but the pigeon will still knock over all the pieces, s--t on the board and strut around triumphantly-Tomtom6 on NcSportbikes.com
  24. Fleon's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    170 Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    It is likely due to music streaming changing from wifi to LTE when the screen goes off...which I did plenty on my iPhone 4 that would stay connected to wifi networks for streaming...
    That would indeed do it...
  25. iamtim's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,187 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,359 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kebero View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't think that the Wi-Fi "bug" isn't an issue?
    For my personal use, I could care less about it. I'm on a grandfathered unlimited data plan, so short of insuring the wifi on my phone worked I haven't had it on at all.

    That said, yeah, it's an issue. What if you're on a 250mb data plan, are listening to streaming music via wifi, your phone locks, and you wind up using a significant chunk of your data allotment? Yeah, that'd suck. And sure, you can say, "well, maybe the user should be aware of what the phone is doing and not let it lock," but the reality is that's unrealistic. If I'm out in my garage listening to Slacker Radio while I wax my car, I'm not going to stop what I'm doing to insure my phone hasn't locked and disconnected wifi every 2 minutes or so.
    philpeeps and tk-093 like this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-28-2012, 09:35 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 03:59 PM
  3. Windows Phone 7's Upgrade to WP8 Apollo Now Unclear
    By 3lackdeath in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 03-14-2012, 02:16 PM
  4. Quote: Windows Phone is Superior; Why Hasnít it Taken Off?
    By madhouse1616 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 207
    Last Post: 01-09-2012, 04:27 PM
  5. Windows Phone 8 (Apollo) for all devices?
    By Kid251822 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 12-15-2011, 05:39 AM

Posting Permissions

B