Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

This is one of the only problems I've encountered on my Lumia 822 the past week I've had it. Whenever I try to send a picture message while connected to wifi it says "cannot send message try again." Has anyone else encountered this issue? Turning off wifi lets it send just fine, but it's kind of annoying since I'm on wifi a lot. Other than that I've been very happy with my phone, only other problem is the app Purple Cherry froze while trying to exit out of the game, but I could still go to the wp8 home screen and use other apps just fine. Only problem is that I wasnt able to clear Purple Cherry out of the background apps.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I've noticed this once too myself. Haven't noticed it since then.

I guess I'm just unlucky and am the only one with this problem...

Nope I have tons of issues with MMS.. all my contacts show offline and it either forces me to send SMS or Facebook chat. Even after confirming receiver is online.. My wife and I both have Lumia 920's and both have the same issue..

Oh and don't bother sending a pic over MMS..it's ridiculously slow!!!

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steephill View Post
    I guess I'm just unlucky and am the only one with this problem...
    Probably not the only one, but I haven't seen the problem on my 822. About 90% of my usage is WiFi, and sending pictures, via text or email, so far has worked every time . Maybe a reset would cure the issue? Or maybe there's something about the apps you're running? Anything dodgy about the WiFi connection?

I can completely replicate this on my 822. I have dodgy verizon data signal at my workplace. MMS will never send until I get a semi reasonable signal, though I have full wifi. Pretty sure if you guys toggle off your data and try to mms with just wifi it will fail. I don't think this is a windows phone issue, but verizon. Could be wrong, but makes sense to me.

First off, Ive reports AxienceConsulting for spamming of several threads.

Second, Ive experienced this a lot as well. I hate having to turn off WIFI, just to send an MMS. The phone should be smart enough to send it out Cellular with WIFI being on.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack Baczynski View Post
    I can completely replicate this on my 822. I have dodgy verizon data signal at my workplace. MMS will never send until I get a semi reasonable signal, though I have full wifi. Pretty sure if you guys toggle off your data and try to mms with just wifi it will fail. I don't think this is a windows phone issue, but verizon. Could be wrong, but makes sense to me.
    Looks as if you're right on at least one thing -- if I toggle Verizon off, I get the try-again message, even with a very good wifi signal. Toggle it back on, and the message goes.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    This started happening to my Focus (WP7) out of the blue in the last week or so. It's bizarre. Before that, the only time I got that "Cannot send message" error was when receiving a multimedia message that requires cellular data turned on.

I may have experienced this tonight. I must have tried 5 or 6 times to send a stupid picture via MMS and it kept failing, and I just kept hitting the retry link. It sent a picture of my location on a map just fine though, weird - that has to be using MMS, too. When I left the cafe with the wi-fi connection, I tried to send the picture again and it worked. Never thought about it being due to the wi-fi connection... I'll have to test this one out some more.
    How slow is the WiFi network? I've had issues where I was unable to install apps or send MMS when I've been at coffee shops. Some of those WiFi networks were slower than EDGE speeds. This was too slow for sending MMS/installing apps.

a127302.png

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    How slow is the WiFi network? I've had issues where I was unable to install apps or send MMS when I've been at coffee shops. Some of those WiFi networks were slower than EDGE speeds. This was too slow for sending MMS/installing apps.
    That could have been the case! I thought it was odd that emails weren't loading very fast and Facebook was kicking out tons of errors.

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I'm confused at how WiFi plays into this. I thought MMS could only be sent over a cellular connection unless your phone supports WiFi-calling.
    Quote Originally Posted by VDubb22 View Post
    I'm confused at how WiFi plays into this. I thought MMS could only be sent over a cellular connection unless your phone supports WiFi-calling.
    A lot of people use WiFi rather than mobile network, since they have limited data plans (I have a legacy unlimited data plan). However, if folks have LTE, it is much faster than WiFi. My LTE is faster than my cable Internet service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystictrust View Post
    That could have been the case! I thought it was odd that emails weren't loading very fast and Facebook was kicking out tons of errors.
    That day I turned WiFi off on my device in order to get the MMS to go through and to download/install Marketplace apps. I turned WiFi back on once those were done.

I keep WiFi and cellular on all the time, while I'm on WiFi I don't use data. I realize that mms go through the cellular connection. Problem is the phone doesn't seem to be able to automatically use the cellular connection send it, unless it's forced into using the only connection it has. My WiFi speeds are fine, always at least 5Mpbs, but 90% of the time it's around 20Mpbs.

My wife just got the HTC 8X and hasn't been able to send an MMS photo all day here at the house. I have an iPhone 4, and can send it without any problem. In fact, she can receive the photo messages I send, but can't send her own. I've tried turning Wifi off, and still no luck. Not sure what the problem could be here...

I had this same problem with my wifes 822 last night. She couldn't send or receive mms. I tried turning off wifi and it still didn't work though ( I may not have waited long enough) anyway I turned wifi back on and turned the phone off then restarted it. It worked fine with wifi on after that. I don't know but it is really weird. I also have had times I couldn't receive mms but I didn't pay attention to this at the time so now I am going to pay closer attention and see if it is related to this. This definitely needs to be fixed.

If you're in a weak signal area the cellular connection may not be strong enough to send the MMS. Happens to me at work too. Having WiFi on shouldn't be an issue, i leave my cellular data on and Wifi at home and have no problems. It's more a signal strength and quality than a phone issue.
    Last edited by Etyrnus; 12-04-2012 at 08:19 PM.
    Arguing with an ***** is like playing chess with a pigeon.
    You could be the greatest player in the world, but the pigeon will still knock over all the pieces, s--t on the board and strut around triumphantly-Tomtom6 on NcSportbikes.com
    Laura Knotek likes this.

I agree that makes the most sense. I also agree what I am saying doesn't make sense. However, that is what is happening. My wifes phone had full signal with 3g coverage. .

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    A lot of people use WiFi rather than mobile network, since they have limited data plans (I have a legacy unlimited data plan). However, if folks have LTE, it is much faster than WiFi. My LTE is faster than my cable Internet service.
    I think you misunderstood my post . To my understanding, MMS and SMS can and will only be transmitted over a cellular connection, whether you're connected to WiFi or not. So the problem most likely lied in having a weak cellular connection, or some other issues with the cellular network, and was incorrectly associated to WiFi. Essentially, I'm saying that you can have the world's best WiFi connection, but if your cellular connection is weak/non-existent, or there are other issues with your phone registering or connecting properly to the cellular network, then you won't be able to send or receive MMS (along with SMS and voice calls).
    The only exception to this would be if the device supported WiFi calling which allows cellular services to be properly directed through WiFi.

Oh my God, enother issue with my Lumia 920!
    Even turning off WiFi did not help. "can't send message". I turned airplane mode on and off again, then it worked.
    Besides this, the delivery notifications are kept separately, while they appear as a small notice on the sent message itself onmy N9.
    WP8 is not ready, if it ever will be. I can not recommend it to anyone. The great Lumia 920 HW compensates a bit for this.

Here is the Fix!

I had this problem with both my old WP7 and now my Lumia 810
    if you get the "Cannot send Message Try again" go ahead and actually delete that pic message and start over this time after sending the pic message DO NOT go out of your Messaging screen leave the phone alone for at least 20-30 seconds LITERALLY DON'T TOUCH THE PHONE FOR 20-30 SECONDS!

It seems that the messaging app needs time to send this message without anything getting in its way... do not go back or attempt to do anything or it will give you the "cannot send message try again"

I have tested this on about 20 picture messages to my wife and each time I left the phone alone the MMS text went through with issues. If I sent a text to her right after sending a picture the text message would go through right away but the picture message would give me the cannot send message. Just give the phone some time to finish sending the picture before doing anything.

Each time I left my phone alone for about 20-30 seconds the picture message would send without issue to my wife's phone.

Go ahead and try this out with your phone if you have been getting the cannot send message and you should see it working great after you just set the phone down for 20 seconds once you push the send button.

Hope this helps!

It doesnt work still after trying everything... Anyone got any other ideas?? I wont send mms at all in any circumstance

FOLKS...i have worked mostly with android and limited use on the old windows mobile 6.5 WIFI has NOTHING to do with mms (no matter what the phone or the operating system or the carrier). MMS is ONLY on cellular data. You need to manually turn data on off for sending / receiving mms. You may get a notification to download an mms should you receive one but you will need to turn mobile data (NOT WIFI) on to actually download it (and they all have an expiry period usually 3 days). Sending is similar. The mms will sit and churn until you turn the data on. If you do not do it quickly the mms may take forever to transmit so it is just better to turn data on and then resend the mms. WIFI HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MMS. PERIOD. HOpe this helps! (this has nothing to do with Nokia, HTC, Iphone etc. Some operating systems have this auto data on off..where the data seamlessly turns on and off for mms sending/receiving which may be the case in iphone and certain android (cooked/rooted/modified builds). IT may SEEM that your data is not on when the mms transmits or is received but in reality it is doing it. SOmetimes you may see the data icon (or however it is set up on your phone) flash briefly when the send/transmit occurs. But in most phones (and maybe this is to help the user control data usage) the data has to be manually turned on for sending/receiving mms. NOT WIFI.

EDIT..you will need to make sure the correct APNs etc are in place but regardless, the first thing is mobile data ON.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast