Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Does the stock email client on Windows Phone 8 support gal lookup? I cannot seem to find it if it does.

Global Posts
    1,467 Global Posts
    Yes. When you begin addressing an email and start typing a recipient, a drop-down box appears and one of the options is "search <name of exchange account> directory". So if you have, for instance, someone in your GAL named "Fleeburflurbur Poptarthead" you would start typing F-L-E-E and then hit "search <name of exchange account> directory"; it would then either resolve the name or present you a list of matching recipients.

Thanks. I see it now.

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtim View Post
    Yes. When you begin addressing an email and start typing a recipient, a drop-down box appears and one of the options is "search <name of exchange account> directory". So if you have, for instance, someone in your GAL named "Fleeburflurbur Poptarthead" you would start typing F-L-E-E and then hit "search <name of exchange account> directory"; it would then either resolve the name or present you a list of matching recipients.
    How do you know Fleeburflurbur? He and I go way back.

Global Posts
    1,467 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverJuicer View Post
    How do you know Fleeburflurbur? He and I go way back.
    He's my homeboy. We used to both run with the Crips. Straight-up Gs, yo.

How about Gmail? I've set up gmail with activesync and when I try to do search on gmail directory from my 920 I get no results. Like if I search for "sun" I get 5 address pop up in web based gmail.

Global Posts
    1,467 Global Posts
    Gmail doesn't have a GAL, however, if you store your contacts in Google and have them synced to your phone, it should bring up matching contacts when you start to type an address or name in the mail app.
    Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

Quote Originally Posted by iamtim View Post
    Gmail doesn't have a GAL, however, if you store your contacts in Google and have them synced to your phone, it should bring up matching contacts when you start to type an address or name in the mail app.
    Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express
    Ya I don't want all my gmail contacts in my phone. My N8 and N9 has Global Address Lookups on gmail with MFE and I just fired up my N9 now to double check and it's working.

I can't seem to get this working and I don't know why. I don't get an option to search my Exchange account. It's frustrating it works fine in iOS. The phone synced my exchange contacts fine but I get no option to search the GAL.

Global Posts
    1,467 Global Posts
    So, where the image below shows "search Sdctech directory", yours doesn't show anything?

wp_ss_20121129_0001.png

No I just get "no results". I get a search option for my two Gmail accounts but not Exchange.

Ya I see the search option, the searching and then no results. The below search should retrieve 5 contacts.

wp_ss_20121129_0001.png wp_ss_20121129_0005.png wp_ss_20121129_0003.png

Well it looks like deleting the account and adding it back fixed the issue for me. I believe it was working before so I am not sure what might have broke it. I do wish the search auto populated like it does in IOS having to manually search each name is a pain.

Wait you're able to search gmail contacts on the gmail server... not simply the contacts that sync'd to the phone? I deleted my account today and reset it all up but still can't search contacts.

Do you mind putting exact steps you did when you recreated your account?

ok the issue is simple, I need to sync contacts with gmail in order to use gmail GAL. I was afraid every single contact recorded in gmail would transfer over but only the one in your contacts do (I guess that would've made sense from the beginning)

sorry if I dragged this topic too far off.

Global Posts
    1,467 Global Posts
    S'ok, I didn't know Google had a GAL. I thought it was just contacts. So... you learned me something. :)

I can successfully search my company GAL but I am wondering about additional Address Books coming from my Exchange server... our organization has a few other address books on Exchange (e.g. Suppliers) and I am wondering how I could have those searched as well, when I search for a contact. They're linked in my Outlook (they now appear under "Contacts > Other Contacts") but that doesn't seem to expand the scope of what's being searched on my WP8... any ideas?

Hi all,
    even though this post might be considered outdated...
    I see my company's directory to search for recipients. However, the search never returns a result.
    I think we are using Exchange Server 2003.
    Any ideas?

In Android with touchdown this worked like a charm.
    Thanks!

Global Posts
    13,573 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lowrider2107 View Post
    Hi all,
    even though this post might be considered outdated...
    I see my company's directory to search for recipients. However, the search never returns a result.
    I think we are using Exchange Server 2003.
    Any ideas?

In Android with touchdown this worked like a charm.
    Thanks!
    Refer to here: Windows 8 Phone Lumia 920 - problems connecting to exchange Server - Microsoft Community
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
    I'm on Instagram - nlarue1971 - Travel and food photos is my thing taken by my L920