- 11-27-2012, 03:35 AM #1
I'll subscribe to a podcast and tell it to download the 3 latest episodes and it doesn't do anything. I can go into a podcast and specifically tell it to download an episode and it still wont do anything. Eventually it will download some episodes but leave a bunch other at "pending". Is this a common problem?Pay that!
- 11-27-2012, 03:49 AM #2
Did you tell it to download over cellular? If so, you can't download anything larger than ~30MB, and those will wait for wifi. Moreover, I found that my 920 didn't want to download podcasts over wifi unless I was also plugged in, which is not really convenient since my phone is only turned off when it's plugged in and wifi currently doesn't stay on when locked.
But the straw that broke the camel's back was that the Music app kept trying to download a non-existent episode of one of my podcasts, and even when I'd manually cancel the download it'd show back up as "pending" after an hour. I switched over to wpodder and just stream everything now. There are enough other halfway decent podcast apps that function better than the built-in, I don't see myself going back unless Microsoft puts a large amount of work into un-breaking podcasts.
- 11-27-2012, 03:57 AM #3Pay that!
- 11-27-2012, 12:24 PM #4
11-27-2012, 12:33 PM #5
- 41 Posts
While the WP8 podcasts store doesn't update as frequently as I'd like, usually I have no problem downloading episodes. That was until today however. I checked a couple of my daily podcasts this morning and saw that episodes were available, but not in my phone. I tried to download them manually, but the downloads just sat there saying pending. This is not the normal experience. I can only assume MS is having some issues on their end. Hopefully they'll get worked out quickly.Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.
- 11-28-2012, 02:41 PM #10
as i just mentioned in another thread about podcasts ...
i hate when people say podcasts work fine for the folks in the US ... this podcast solution from MS is beyond ridiculous ... almost made me return my 920 a few days after purchase ... but i feel like SOMETHING will be done to make this better ... how awful is it that in order to get podcasts in their appropriate places on a windows phone, i have to use a piece of software from apple ... and even that is sketchy / flaky / hit or miss (and my god how awful is podcasting in iTunes?!?!)
don't get me wrong, i'm not leaving the platform ... just annoying that my POS arrive had the software to make podcasts a COMPLETE breeze.
And, please don't tell me to use the built-in podcast feature in Xbox Music on the phone ... it's awful and everyone knows it.
- The settings only allow for up to 5 episodes kept ... or ALL ...
- You can't add any URLS for podcasts that don't show up in the marketplace
- every time the phone resets, it removes the following
- progress in a segment (which means trying to figure out where you were in a segment)
- unplayed/played status (which means re-downloaded every episode you've already listened to)
- The music app all together doesn't remember what the last piece of media you played was
- wp7 you could have a song or segment paused for HOURS
- sorry for double posting this ... but i feel like if i posted it in both a non-podcast thread (one about leaving wp8 to go back to wp7) and then an actual podcast thread ... that SOMEONE might actually read it ... they've got to know how messed up this is, right???
12-01-2012, 01:02 AM #14
- 3 Posts
so, ummm... no.
I have the exact same problem. I'm in the US, BTW, so this isn't a non-US thing. On my 920, when I first subbed to a few podcasts right out of the Store, it worked great - downloaded all my episodes. A week or so later, when some new episodes hit, all my new podcast episodes sat in a state of "Pending". I've tried the following:
- changing the settings to download over 4G
- plugging in my phone while on WiFi
- rebooting multiple times
- hitting the explicit "download" link
- setting all my downloaded episodes to "played"
- unsubbing and re-subbing
Nothing has worked, so it would seem that this is a bug at the OS or Store level maybe.
Anyone out there that's had this issue been able to work around this and revive their subscriptions?
12-01-2012, 01:26 AM #15
- 3 Posts
Timing is everything I guess - I just saw another thread on this topic, and following someone else's advice, got my podcasts working again:
Pending Podcast downloads
If you are having this issue - check and see if you are subbed to Major Nelson Radio. :) I don't know if it is directly related, but Yakko's description of the problem and the timing of it matched my experience exactly.
- By Scooby_Boostin in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 12Last Post: 11-21-2012, 12:24 AM
- By Winterfang in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 7Last Post: 04-04-2012, 09:48 PM
- By btbam91 in forum Samsung Focus S 4GReplies: 13Last Post: 11-08-2011, 05:44 PM
- By gekkoace in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 1Last Post: 10-12-2011, 08:36 PM
- By netkodrugi in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 2Last Post: 03-15-2011, 01:38 AM