Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I'm new to this platform, so far I do like it a lot. One question popped into my head overnite, since it's Windows does it make it more susceptible to issue with viruses? I'd think that MS covered all their bases regarding this. Any thoughts?
    The app store is regulated, so there's no risk at all of viruses in the real sense of the word. However you're still at risk from phishing attempts from maliciously crafted websites. You should still exercise caution when accessing links from emails whether or not you think you know the sender.
    Also, if you developer unlock your device and sideload applications created outside of Microsoft's ecosystem, then you're placing yourself at risk.

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    I would argue WP8 is probably the most secure OS out there right now for mobile devices..

Low mind share + highly secure OS..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    1,376 Global Posts
    Answer = If someone decides to write a virus for it then yes.

Realistically, if someone wants to write a virus for mobile devices they will likely target IOS or Android first. Just like legitimate software developers they want to get the best bang for there buck. time, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by gsquared View Post
    Answer = If someone decides to write a virus for it then yes.
    Given the restrictive nature of the SDK and the fact that apps are vetted by Microsoft before they're published in the app store. I really doubly that any virus would make it into the wild. Android is the most vulnerable platform by a long way.

Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Only a single virus has been made to crack WP security. It was developed by a developer who, gladly, wasn't trying to do harm, but just show Microsoft ways to improve their security. Granted the kid who wrote the virus is also a computer prodigy.