Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Derausgewanderte

Have I missed something, or do we always get "History" when we first click on to the phone app?

This seems really odd and inefficient. Why don't I immediately get a number pad or a simplified phone list (or both), like virtually every other mobile phone ever made? What's worse, I get 4 small and unintuitive buttons on the bottom. And the phone button in that grouping doesn't actually bring me to a number pad; it brings me to my long and convoluted contacts menu.

The bottom line is that I need many unnecessary clicks to start making a phone call. If I've missed something in Settings, I'd appreciate your advice.

Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Have you tried RapDialer? Does exactly what should have been built in.
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Microsoft Surface Pro 128Gb
    HP TouchPad JB 4.3
    Thanked by:
    grapemanca likes this.

Thanks for the RapDialer suggestion. It's a little convoluted, but once I figured out how to default to my Favourites, it gives me exactly what I want.

It still strikes me as odd that I need to download a secondary app to give me proper phone functionality, but I'm happy to do what it takes to make a phone a phone!

Quote Originally Posted by grapemanca View Post
    Have I missed something, or do we always get "History" when we first click on to the phone app?

This seems really odd and inefficient. Why don't I immediately get a number pad or a simplified phone list (or both), like virtually every other mobile phone ever made? What's worse, I get 4 small and unintuitive buttons on the bottom. And the phone button in that grouping doesn't actually bring me to a number pad; it brings me to my long and convoluted contacts menu.

The bottom line is that I need many unnecessary clicks to start making a phone call. If I've missed something in Settings, I'd appreciate your advice.
    Among those 4 buttons is the number pad button (second from the left), one click away. The button with the phone is actually a phone book. Most people don't dial numbers these days but instead select a contact so I think it makes sense the way they did it.

I rarely make calls from a number pad anymore I dial via contacts but its weird also to me "history" is what it brings up as the default. I would also expect it to bring up either the contacts search or a number pad.

History makes the most sense for me. I am usually calling someone who called me recently or someone I called recently, and if not the, other options are one tap away.

The problem with History is that I often call one person 4 or 5 times in a row, so it knocks out many of my important contacts. That's why I like defaulting to a Favourites list. In my previous phones I'd rarely use my recent contacts list.

BTW, RapDialer does a nice job of culling just those contacts w/ phone numbers, and allowing me to choose exactly what I want. The built-in phone app gives you very few choices.

And I still think those 4 buttons at the bottom of the built-in phone app are unintuitve and too bloody small for my fat digits! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by grapemanca View Post
    The problem with History is that I often call one person 4 or 5 times in a row, so it knocks out many of my important contacts. That's why I like defaulting to a Favourites list. In my previous phones I'd rarely use my recent contacts list.

BTW, RapDialer does a nice job of culling just those contacts w/ phone numbers, and allowing me to choose exactly what I want. The built-in phone app gives you very few choices.

And I still think those 4 buttons at the bottom of the built-in phone app are unintuitve and too bloody small for my fat digits! ;-)
    I only have 3 buttons ;). Only because i have visual voicemail activated on my phone :)
    Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
    God's work, our hands.
    Preaching the Gospel.
    Holding a Windows Phone.

Global Posts
    1,014 Global Posts
    Tell Me is your friend. Press and hold the Windows button, then say, 'call so and so' after the prompt.

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I felt the same way, until I realized that I can get a list of contacts by tapping the people app instead of the phone app.