Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 72
Like Tree9Likes
  1. DroBoy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
       #1  
    I had a HD7 prior to my Lumia 810 and I was psyched about Nokia Drive but its not that great compared to Google Navigation. Takes for ever to reroute if you missed a exit, no live traffic and no street name or exit names. All of which Google Nav has, I am quite disappointed in Nokia Drive, it shouldn't be in Beta since it was on the Lumia 800 which came out a year ago.
    Last edited by Anubis9; 11-22-2012 at 05:04 PM.
  2. zokstar's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    160 Posts
    #2  
    I used it briefly last night for about 5-10min to test. I thought it was actually pretty good! I agree, takes a while to pick up the correct direction you are going, but once it did that, was good.
  3. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,236 Posts
    #3  
    Hmmm...

    You said that you understand that it's still beta...

    ...yet you also say that Nokia should have perfected it.

    Those two statements don't make sense together.
    Thanked by:
    Duvi 
    Duvi, Corleones and alfonz like this.
  4. Mark Wedge's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis9 View Post
    no street name or exit names
    It will announce those. You have to download and set the voice that includes announced street names.
  5. eastbayrae's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wedge View Post
    It will announce those. You have to download and set the voice that includes announced street names.
    No it won't. It says when to turn without street names, at least not in Germany.
    When all else fails empty the magazine...
  6. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #6  
    The old non-beta version I had on my 900 worked flawlessly, I'm sure this one will too once it's out of beta.
  7. #7  
    Lol, playstation home is still in beta, and still sucks. The majority of things like this are one never ending beta
    Thanked by:
    PG2G 
  8. acousticpoem's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
    #8  
    Used it here in the UK with no problems, fast re-routing and all directions clear.
  9. zolgi's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    #9  
    Wp7 drive is not in beta but wp8 is because they rewriting it.
  10. DroBoy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    Hmmm...

    You said that you understand that it's still beta...

    ...yet you also say that Nokia should have perfected it.

    Those two statements don't make sense together.
    I should of corrected myself, I don't know why its in Beta when they had it on Lumia 800 and it seemed to work flawlessly when people used it.What I meant to say is that it shouldn't be in Beta its been a year since Lumia 800 came out, it should of been perfected my biggest problem with Nokia Drive is no street name or exit name.
  11. jpferguson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #11  
    According to the Nokia website it has been completely re-written for WP8 to take advantage of the new hardware. So, no, it wasn't running on the 800 before. That was a different version. I'm sure once it's complete it'll have the same features as the version that ran on the 800.
    Thanked by:
    Duvi 
    Duvi likes this.
  12. DroBoy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jpferguson View Post
    According to the Nokia website it has been completely re-written for WP8 to take advantage of the new hardware. So, no, it wasn't running on the 800 before. That was a different version. I'm sure once it's complete it'll have the same features as the version that ran on the 800.
    I didn't know that prior to today, I wish they would of perfected it before releasing it...Well I guess I'll hold of my complaint about more about it until the official one is out.
  13. Mark Wedge's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbayrae View Post
    No it won't. It says when to turn without street names, at least not in Germany.
    Well in the US where I am using drive, it announces all streets and exits just fine.
    TMavC5 likes this.
  14. wizuriel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wedge View Post
    It will announce those. You have to download and set the voice that includes announced street names.
    In Canada doesn't say street names either :( (though this is the WP 7 version on my Lumia 710).

    Edit: To tell the truth I've been pretty disappointed in a lot of Nokia's apps. I don't understand how here.net can get public transit routes (not as good as Google, but not bad) and display it on a map with the times that the bus arrives at that stop, while the Nokia transit or map app or can't do half of that :S

    edit 2: Not sure on Nokia drive, but Nokia maps can show live traffic (though just a guestimated congestion level it seems).
  15. emergenic's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    #15  
    Have to agee, the current Beta release is not fully baked yet...Tried it on a 9hr trip last night between Pennsylvania and Kentucky, and was sorely disappointed.
    Slow re-routing, freezes often, and map detail leaves allot to be desired.
    Missed MotionX-GPS Drive which was my go-to nav app on the iPhone.
    Hopefully Nokia will be able to work out the issues I experienced so far.
  16. DroBoy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
       #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wedge View Post
    Well in the US where I am using drive, it announces all streets and exits just fine.
    Not for me. How'd you get it to work?
  17. Mark Wedge's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis9 View Post
    Not for me. How'd you get it to work?
    change the voice in settings and download the voices that have announced street names and select it for the voice to use.
  18. DroBoy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
       #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by wizuriel View Post
    In Canada doesn't say street names either :( (though this is the WP 7 version on my Lumia 710).

    Edit: To tell the truth I've been pretty disappointed in a lot of Nokia's apps. I don't understand how here.net can get public transit routes (not as good as Google, but not bad) and display it on a map with the times that the bus arrives at that stop, while the Nokia transit or map app or can't do half of that :S

    edit 2: Not sure on Nokia drive, but Nokia maps can show live traffic (though just a guestimated congestion level it seems).
    I agree, was very excited for WP8 and Nokia Apps but have been a so far a bit of a let down.
  19. cameradork's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    555 Posts
    #19  
    Yeah, it's not so great, but then neither was Google's turn-by-turn when it first appeared on the market. It got a lot better after 3-4 years, which is what I expect will happen here. In the meantime, if you really need to rely on nav, get a dedicated unit or the Garmin app.
  20. Etyrnus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    379 Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by cameradork View Post
    Yeah, it's not so great, but then neither was Google's turn-by-turn when it first appeared on the market. It got a lot better after 3-4 years, which is what I expect will happen here. In the meantime, if you really need to rely on nav, get a dedicated unit or the Garmin app.
    Or the navigon app if you'd like to save the maps offline. Drive works ok, I did have it freeze up on me one night.
    Arguing with an ***** is like playing chess with a pigeon.
    You could be the greatest player in the world, but the pigeon will still knock over all the pieces, s--t on the board and strut around triumphantly-Tomtom6 on NcSportbikes.com
  21. Guzzler3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    862 Posts
    #21  
    "Nokia Drive+ Beta" is missing the options of "shortest", "fastest", etc.,route options :(
    Guz

    iPhone 3G (broken)
    Blackberry 6320 (retired)
    Lumia 810 (current)
  22. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis9 View Post
    I didn't know that prior to today, I wish they would of perfected it before releasing it...Well I guess I'll hold of my complaint about more about it until the official one is out.
    Personally I'd rather have a beta than the alternative: No navigation, or (yeah, right) no Windows Phone 8 until Nokia Drive is done.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wedge View Post
    Well in the US where I am using drive, it announces all streets and exits just fine.
    It hasn't for me....... but just downloaded. Didn't know I had to change voice to get that. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guzzler3 View Post
    "Nokia Drive+ Beta" is missing the options of "shortest", "fastest", etc.,route options :(
    That's weird.... Was there an update of Nokia Drive that I don't remember installing? I would swear I saw it Monday when I used Drive the first time, but I sure don't see it now.

    Quote Originally Posted by emergenic View Post
    Have to agee, the current Beta release is not fully baked yet...Tried it on a 9hr trip last night between Pennsylvania and Kentucky, and was sorely disappointed.
    Slow re-routing, freezes often, and map detail leaves allot to be desired..
    Could the slow re-routing be due to the route length? I've only used it on short trips (my ride to work is 29 miles), and it rerouted faster than my Garmin on the dash (which, admittedly, is 4 years old). Seemed like it rerouted almost instantly.
  23. jfo7404's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Guzzler3 View Post
    "Nokia Drive+ Beta" is missing the options of "shortest", "fastest", etc.,route options :(
    Those options are available. After setting destination there is a screen with a map in the top and the trip info with start button on the bottom. On the bottom of the map there are icons. Click that row of icons to change from fastest to shortest, toll roads etc...
    Thanked by:
  24. tboggs13's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    40 Posts
    #24  
    I was thinking the same thing about Drive. It was something I was really looking forward to with my new Lumia. First time I tried it, It had no street names. Completely forgot that some nav apps require you to select a voice that uses street names until I read this forum.

    Without street names, the voice considers every road split as an exit. When travelling on highways, it would tell me to take the left exit, when my Garmin would have said "continue on". Very confusing with a carload of kids in a new city and lots of exits.

    Also, I found it may have problems finding destinations if you are too specific but inaccurate with your destination. Family lives in a suburb of Jacksonville. Couldn't find the address, but Bing maps on my Wife's hd7 did. I even gave it the zip code and it couldn't find it. Finally just gave it the street and zip and it did find it under the actual suburb name. Their search logic needs to be a little more fuzzy. Quite often postal addresses don't match the actual city you live in.
  25. eastbayrae's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    #25  
    You're better with a strip map and a compass. I'm glad my land-nav skills are great. I was close to throwing the phone out my car window, without opening the window!
    When all else fails empty the magazine...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Nokia Drive + Beta .....map oriented all wrong
    By mrbill66 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-02-2013, 11:50 PM
  2. Nokia Drive for all?
    By rbiasca in forum HTC TITAN
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-18-2012, 06:47 PM
  3. Nokia Drive
    By pseudoware in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-23-2011, 01:23 PM
  4. Nokia Ad - Just What Is That Phone Then ?
    By TheWeeBear in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-18-2011, 03:14 PM
  5. Nokia Drive already hacked
    By tissotti in forum Nokia Lumia 800
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2011, 01:34 PM

Posting Permissions