- 11-21-2012, 06:38 AM #1
Note, this is for new users, if you have been using WP this is probably basic information you already know or figured out.
I am a new Window's Phone user and had some confusion when I tried to connect various accounts from the same user to a single person on my phone. I downloaded FaceBook (I don't use Twitter but I assume it's the same) and logged in, but I didn't see any of their FB updates in my people hub, which I thought was one of the features of WP8. Well, it is, and I just misunderstood the process. Here were my steps:
- In my case, I went into the people hub and created a family group which I added my family members relatives to.
- I downloaded FB and logged in. I then went to my people hub but saw no FB data on my family members. I checked everywhere but could not figure out how to associate them to their FB account.
- Well, my mistake was where I added the account. The stand-alone FB app does not get tied to the people in your WP8 hub. Add your FB account under WP8 > Settings > Email and Accounts and it will now associate all of your FB contacts. Now when you access your group you see all of their recent activity under 'What's new' along with their photos and contact info. No one else posts, just the groups updates all in one easy place. Makes it so easy to keep up on your family (or whatever group you create)
- Maybe someone who uses Twitter can confirm it works for that also?
Again, this is probably painfully obvious for some, but I plodded along for a few hours before I understood how to do it.
11-21-2012, 07:21 AM #2
- 70 Posts
- 11-21-2012, 08:27 AM #3
also i'd like to point out if you want facebook chat working properly, go into settings - backup - text messages - make sure "use facebook chat" is on. also in your windows live account (from live.com) make sure you associate your facebook account with your windows live account. to do this, after you sign in look at the middle of the page to find "messenger social". to the right of that you'll see "connected to". click on facebook and add facebook. then going back to the page with messenger social, to the right of "connected to" you'll see "add". click the drop down arrow next to "add" then click "manage services". under "facebook" click edit. on the next page make sure "chat with facebook friends" has a check mark in it then click save. now when you get a msg from facebook.com it will push the msg to your phone.
11-21-2012, 08:45 AM #4
- 109 Posts
I didn't want to start a new thread but thought my question might fit in under this thread. I have my Twitter and Facebook accounts setup and everything works great. But I noticed that I'm seeing Facebook updates that I have hidden on the web version. For example, people playing games. I do not want those feeds to be sent to my Windows Phone. I don't care when someone does something in Farmville. lol
- 11-21-2012, 08:50 AM #5
I know that was always an issue on my wife's WP7 devices. Since the People Hub acts as a 3rd party app, it doesn't respect the same settings that the website has. It will also not show updates from people who have certain privacy settings that restrict access from 3rd party apps. It was the same on the beutiful HP webOS Touchpad Facebook app. MS seems to have gotten around this issue with the actual FB app, but not the people hub.
- 11-21-2012, 10:45 AM #7
So...I don't use FaceBook or any of the other social sites, but my wife does. She will be getting her 920 in a few days. Is is better to use the FaceBook app or the People Hub? She is coming from iOS. I assume she could just use both.
- 11-21-2012, 10:52 AM #8Windows Phone Central Moderator "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'." - Apparently you can have an iPhone transplant...
- 11-21-2012, 10:55 AM #9
11-21-2012, 11:00 AM #11
- 70 Posts
- By twincamfxd in forum IntroductionsReplies: 7Last Post: 09-16-2012, 10:14 AM
- By twinbubba in forum General Microsoft News and DiscussionReplies: 5Last Post: 06-16-2012, 02:49 AM
- By Duvi in forum Upcoming & Rumored DevicesReplies: 10Last Post: 04-16-2012, 09:10 AM
- By Bear lx in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 4Last Post: 03-29-2012, 02:50 PM
- By Naturewriter in forum HTC TITANReplies: 13Last Post: 12-21-2011, 12:36 PM