I love Windows Phone! The problem is that I have never used ios or android. My wife needs a new phone and it will be her first smartphone. She is not a fan of technology and likes things that just work. To me WP seems intuitive and simple but I love gadgets. Is WP the best option for someone just coming to smartphones? If so, what makes WP better? I am tempted to recommend WP but if she can't figure it out she will kill me! Thanks.

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    I think windows phone is a fantastic option for a "just works" smart phone--especially for someone without any preconceived ideas of interacting with a smart phone.

My one caveat would be if she's got a big iTunes library she'd want to sync. WP8 experience really falls apart in that regard.

It's not for everyone but WP is what I'd recommend to my mom.

Global Posts
    356 Global Posts
    To me if she has no baggage then I'd go with Windows Phone. It is a very simple OS and you can't beat the people hub.
    IOS is more solid, but at this point I feel Apple is going to have to make some interface changes are face losing market share. The OS is just boring, lots of apps, but boring.

Android sucks...and I can say that I was there when they put out the first Android phone on Tmobile up until I got the Lumia 900.

I'm a WP fan all the way but when it came to my wife I immediately got her an iPhone and she loved it. Like yours, my wife needed something easy to transition herself into the world of smartphones. After I got my cyan 920, she gave me crap for getting her such a drab, plain old black phone. I couldn't help but laugh so I promised her I would get her a Lumia 820 with interchangeable red or white back covers. :)
    Windows - Surface RT

Windows Phone - Dell Venue Pro | Nokia Lumia 920 | Nokia Lumia 1520

Windows Mobile - i-mate SP5 | HTC 8525 | HTC Touch HD

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    My wife got her first smartphone last year and got a lumia 710. She is always needing tech help with other things around the house (ie: entertainment system remotes, etc), but I have rarely had to help her with her windows phone because it just works. She mainly surfs the web, texts, uses a few apps that I've installed for her and is happy with it.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    @odin09: Has your wife used your WP? What's her take on it?

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    My moms first smart phone was the trophy. Best thing I got for her she knows how to work it and everything is right there for her. She is due for an upgrade and I am going to recommend the WP8 again to her.

Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    @odin09: Has your wife used your WP? What's her take on it?
    Other than playing a game against her sister... NO... She really has not used it. She is afraid of the touch screen but has pretty much accepted that she will have to get used to it.

I doubt that she will use it for music and no iTunes. She will use the camera though so that will have to be at least decent.

My wife is now on her 2nd WP and she loves it. She previously had the HTC Trophy and today we both upgraded to the Nokia 920. She insisted on staying with WP.

Wife is getting a white 920 for Christmas she fell in love with my red one but what the white one instead of red. 😆
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    My wife has used my Focus enough that if she ever gets a smartphone it'll be easy to recommend WP to her.

If she is camera-oriented then you already know which one she should get ;-)
    I'd suggest letting your wife play with your phone to see how she likes it. You did not mention which Windows Phone you have in your profile; however, it sounds like you have one, since you said that you love it.

The camera on any smartphone should be better than a feature phone camera, so your wife should not have any problems getting decent pictures.

I lost the battle and she got an iPhone. A very buggy draw something app and my iPhone wielding sister in law were the deciding factors. It took me a lot longer to set up the iPhone than my WP. So far I am also not a fan of the keyboard. My WP just seemed to do things easily and intuitively from the first boot up. I will definitely be sticking with WP for my next upgrade.