Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    In WP8, Microsoft got rid of the right side vertical gutter, thus allocating more space for the Live Tiles. However, there is still an unused black gutter at the top just - underneath the clock area and between the first row of Live Tiles. I was looking at the Lumia 920 and it just stands out more (at least to me) because of the larger screen size. So I looked at the Samsung Focus and realized that it was present even with WP7 devices. Does anyone know what this black bar of nothingness is for? Is it a placeholder for future functionality? Is it just for design? Future Notification pull down area? Is it currently being used in WP8?

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts
    I was wondering that as well. On the 8x it really eats up a lot of top space.

I've always assumed it was to keep the bottom tiles from showing up completely on screen to let people know there are more icons down below...now that I have a bigger screen, I agree, this needs to go.

Yeah I noticed it more on my 920 vs Titan....wish they would cut it down to the bare minimum required to display signal etc...or make the signal etc have an overlay so you can still read it and maximize screen use.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Seem to remember reading the Microsoft initially specified notifications for that location but ran out of development time. Guess this could be included in a future update ?

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Maybe to leave space so when you double tap the top to see your signal you don't accidentally hit a live tile and launch it?
    Last edited by majortom1981; 11-19-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: double

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
    Maybe to leave space so when you double tap the top to see your signal you don't accidentally hit a live tile and launch it?
    I use Launcher7 on my Android phone (Samsung Captivate) to give me the WP7 screen. In that Android implementation, the top gutter is very narrow, nowhere near the gutter gap of Wp7/Wp8. I haven't accidentally launched a Live Tile ever when I try to get to the notification center, so there must be some other reason. I hope its a placeholder space and not an intentional cosmetic or design approach.

Last edited by wpoblation; 11-19-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: double-post

Quote Originally Posted by wpoblation View Post
    I use Launcher7 on my Android phone (Samsung Captivate) to give me the WP7 screen. In that Android implementation, the top gutter is very narrow, nowhere near the gutter gap of Wp7/Wp8. I haven't accidentally launched a Live Tile ever when I try to get to the notification center, so there must be some other reason. I hope its a placeholder space and not an intentional cosmetic or design approach.
    Agreed.

It matches the gutter at the bottom (not counting the little arrow) so you know you are at the top of the page. Could be smaller, I guess. Ask Joe Belfiore why they chose that exact amount of space and you'll probably get a subjective answer.
    "Bro, you know I lift cause I use a Lumia 920..."

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beachhoppr View Post
    I was wondering that as well. On the 8x it really eats up a lot of top space.
    Yup. I was at the AT&T store and the HTC 8x top gutter is rather noticeable. Very nice grip on that phone though, wish the 920 had the same feel.