Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1.    #1  
    Turns out there is Free BT Open Zone WiFi Hotspot access if you are on a certain plan. I am on Panther 41.

However, every time I connect to BT Open Zone, my Lumia 920 just connects and at no point asks me username or password!

Any tips on how you've managed to use Orange's BT WiFi offer?

From what I remember with BT Open Zone is that you connect and then open your browser, it should redirect you to their portal where there should be an option to logon as an Orange customer. You'll have to fill in your number so your device is registered and you won't have to go through this process again afterwards unless you get a different phone.

The problem with BT Open Zone is that they have this system where broadband customers can set up their own hotspots; these will use the same SSID as the public ones, but aren't accessible to non-BT customers. The phone will connect to them anyway as it cannot distinguish them from the public ones, but it won't be possible to access the internet once connected. Very annoying hence why I stopped using BT Open Zone.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorki247 View Post
    From what I remember with BT Open Zone is that you connect and then open your browser, it should redirect you to their portal where there should be an option to logon as an Orange customer. You'll have to fill in your number so your device is registered and you won't have to go through this process again afterwards unless you get a different phone.

The problem with BT Open Zone is that they have this system where broadband customers can set up their own hotspots; these will use the same SSID as the public ones, but aren't accessible to non-BT customers. The phone will connect to them anyway as it cannot distinguish them from the public ones, but it won't be possible to access the internet once connected. Very annoying hence why I stopped using BT Open Zone.
    I am waiting for my sim to be activated (mine is Panther 41). With BT Open Zone is it something you can toggle or is it a setup once and forget? That public/private issue could be v-annoying

I'm on Panther 41 and got a message with a password but got the impression from my online account that this is just an option that I can add for an additional 2 a month on my bill. Haven't been anywhere to test it out yet, so would appreciate an update from anyone who has been successful.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorki247 View Post

That totally explains why I was so frustrated for a week nearly that my Orange one always connected to the Open Zone and never let me use internet on it. It most likely as you said is due to the private/public thing. I got Panther 41 hoping 1 GB will be sufficient if I can use WiFi when out and about. Now this changes the whole story for me. This is such a lovely phone with most locked down and crappest carriers in the UK that it makes me sad!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dtiapril View Post
    I'm on Panther 41 and got a message with a password but got the impression from my online account that this is just an option that I can add for an additional 2 a month on my bill. Haven't been anywhere to test it out yet, so would appreciate an update from anyone who has been successful.
    That additional 2 per month is BT WiFi - different to Open Zones. Open Zones are very rare to find even in London! But BT WiFi exists more in numbers so chances of finding that will be high. However with Panther 41, only Open Zones are included, not BT WiFi (separate 2). I am much tempted to buy that for a month and try it out because Open Zones have so far been unsuccessful for me (5-6 days now).

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    I get free BT Openzones and BT Fon with my home broadband.

BT Fon is the one which is user shared, very rare will that connect as it isn't that widespread. I often see it when on the train but it is fleeting as it doesn't cover a wide area. Is probably best used when you park yourself outside someone's house and you don't mind the stares lol

Once you sign in via the browser to Openzones it should remember your details. There is also a BT Wifi app in the marketplace where you can set up your details etc, this can make it easier to manage. The marketplace seems to be down at the moment.

To be honest I very rarely connect as the signal is often weak in places but when it's there it is good.
  8.    #8  
    Having known that I am really interested to know how do you guys manage with only 1 GB of data on your phones? :s

I do get free BT OpenZones with Panther, am not sure about BTFon. I was planning on buying 2 access to BT WiFi if 1GB doesn't look promising. I've already used up 280mb in 5-6 days!

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if the Data Sense app will be made available on orange?

Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    That additional 2 per month is BT WiFi - different to Open Zones. Open Zones are very rare to find even in London! But BT WiFi exists more in numbers so chances of finding that will be high. However with Panther 41, only Open Zones are included, not BT WiFi (separate 2). I am much tempted to buy that for a month and try it out because Open Zones have so far been unsuccessful for me (5-6 days now).
    Thanks for clearing that up, makes much more sense! I'm 99% sure I have an 'Open Zone' within range of my workplace, but from the posts above I'm going to guess it's a private network so I'm not holding my hopes up of getting a Wi-Fi connection at work. That would be too perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    Thanks for clearing this up. I'm 99% sure I have an 'Open Zone' within range of my workplace, but from the posts above I'm guessing it's a private network. Having free Wi-Fi at work would just be too perfect.
  12.    #12  
    Yeah for me its too easy to get WiFi at work and home. Its during the time when I am out and about when am not too sure 1 gb internet will do justice to my Lumia 920!
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.