Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Reflexx
  • 1 Post By brmiller1976

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    I guess I'm just a bit dismayed. I've been a massive proponent of the platform highlighting its good, while trying to forgive the bad, but I'm a bit worried. I think honestly it's a problem with the Microsoft name more than anything else we're seeing at this point. Where are the developers of the good iOS games (****, even crap like Zynga) on both WP8 and Wrt? Are developers really so anti-Microsoft that they're dragging their feet or releasing half-assed ports?

Bah, frustrated, sorry.

Anyone else feeling anything about this?

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Has nothing to do with Microsoft/Windows name. It's simply a matter of ROI (Return On Investment). Developers go where the money is.

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmurphy View Post
    Are developers really so anti-Microsoft that they're dragging their feet or releasing half-assed ports?
    No. But they do like to see a return on their effort. At the moment, any company putting serious effort into an app for WP7/WP8 should consider themselves a non-profit corporation.

I expect to see a bunch of Unity games ported over within the next few months. Unity 4.0 was just released.
    brmiller1976 likes this.

Here's an excerpt right from this very site about Zynga games coming to Windows Phone. Words with Friends is available now in the marketplace here.

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JBlack02187 View Post
    Here's an excerpt right from this very site about Zynga games coming to Windows Phone. Words with Friends is available now in the marketplace here.
    And unfortunately, Zynga released two turds atm. That's part of the reason I'm annoyed. Both of those games are really poorly done.

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryude View Post
    Has nothing to do with Microsoft/Windows name. It's simply a matter of ROI (Return On Investment). Developers go where the money is.
    By that thought, you would think we would see some quality on Windows 8 store. Even if Win8 sells bad, that's still 100-200 million customers.

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    But Win8 also runs these publishers' existing games just fine. The ROI from Win8 store games will have to come from Surface RT and other ARM systems that can only run Store games. And there just aren't very many of those at the moment. This was always the gaping hole in Microsoft's plan...

Global Posts
    671 Global Posts
    I cant remember a mobile OS that had amazing games and support less than 2 years in existance except maybe the iPhone. I had the first ever android phone (T-Mobile G1) and it was HORRIBLE with support. It wasn't until Verizon got andoird a year later and promoted it as the iPhone alternative that it really took off because at the time iPhones were only on AT&T.

Now android, iphones, and wp phones are everywhere so it's a HUGE competitive market. Not like it was. Give it time.

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts
    was just thinking the same thing. I'd say a few months or so (hopefully) and hope 343 is working on a mobile halo

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmurphy View Post
    And unfortunately, Zynga released two turds atm. That's part of the reason I'm annoyed. Both of those games are really poorly done.
    They're from Zynga. Zynga software ALWAYS sucks.

This is why I keep telling people "be careful what you wish for." Sure, the top players can deliver their popular apps from Android and iOS... but they'll suck just as much on Windows Phone as on Android and iOS.
    jjmurphy likes this.

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Thanks for the feedback all. Much appreciated. Here's to hoping a nice spring of great new games then!

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I'm pretty excited about the Unity support myself, the nice thing about Unity is that all you have to do to make a game work for different platform is just re-compile. So hypothetically some of the games on iOS and Android that were built using Unity could be ported over extremely easily. Now if only we'd get UDK support then we'd be set!

Global Posts
    671 Global Posts
    Need for Speed Hot Persuit has some pretty freaking good graphics. I would call that high-end as far as graphics.

As far as just straight up quality games pretty much all of the Xbox Live games except maybe 3 or 4 out of the 20+ that I have I would call "quality games"