Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By willied
  • 1 Post By willied
  • 1 Post By kantFTW
  1.    #1  
    Hey, all. :) Question... I've been using textPlus on my iPhone for about a month or more now to conserve my texts in my plan (only have 500). I was wondering if anyone has tried this app with their WP8 device yet? I wanted to know if any of you have had reasonable or good experiences with it because on the WP Store page for the app, the reviewers claim the opposite. :-/
  2.    #2  
    I'm guessing NO ONE has used this app, then?
  3. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #3  
    I haven't used it, but WP8 allows you to back up your phone and your texts too, using your Skydrive, so the third party app wouldn't be necessary.
    Thanked by:
  4. willied's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    710 Posts
    Global Posts
    714 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    I haven't used it, but WP8 allows you to back up your phone and your texts too, using your Skydrive, so the third party app wouldn't be necessary.
    She's saying she needs it so she doesn't use more than 500 texts per month because that's all her plan allows.
    metalchick719 likes this.
  5. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #5  
    What about WhatsApp?
  6.    #6  
    I've never used WhatsApp, thinking of it. Will it allow me to send texts to people who don't also use the app? Also, I want to be sure that if I send people texts through it, they can respond to me via the app. textPlus does this. If WhatsApp does, then I would get that one. Does it?

    Thanks for the replies!
  7. PG2G's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    453 Posts
    #7  
    Based on the recent reviews, there are some issues when run on WP8 that they need to address.
  8. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchick719 View Post
    I've never used WhatsApp, thinking of it. Will it allow me to send texts to people who don't also use the app? Also, I want to be sure that if I send people texts through it, they can respond to me via the app. textPlus does this. If WhatsApp does, then I would get that one. Does it?

    Thanks for the replies!
    WhatsApp requires recipients to have the client software (it doesn't support sending SMSes, but rather SMS-like messages), but the client is available for every smartphone platform (as well as Windows 7/8, Mac, and iPad). If you can convince your friends to install the app, it will bring your text message costs way down.

    You could shift most of your friends over, and then use your text allowances solely for those who don't have a smartphone.
    Thanked by:
  9.    #9  
    Thanks, BRMiller. I can ask my two closest friends to get it because they have WP7 and Android phones. Just wish I still had 800 texts in my plan like I did two years ago!
  10. willied's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    710 Posts
    Global Posts
    714 Global Posts
    #10  
    The charges for texting are ridiculous. I wish they could just route the texts through the data plan instead so you wouldn't have to pay extra...but of course that's easy money for the carriers that they'd lose out on...

    The cool thing about WhatsApp is that it tells you which of your contacts already have it - only 2 people in my case, but better than none!
    metalchick719 likes this.
  11. octavian90's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #11  
    I've heard kik is great!
  12. kantFTW's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by willied View Post
    The charges for texting are ridiculous. I wish they could just route the texts through the data plan instead so you wouldn't have to pay extra...but of course that's easy money for the carriers that they'd lose out on...

    The cool thing about WhatsApp is that it tells you which of your contacts already have it - only 2 people in my case, but better than none!
    Um, that's like saying you wish your water bill and your electricity bill were the same thing and that utilities companies are scamming you because, hey, why don't they just send electricity on down the water pipes? SMS works completely different from MMS, which uses your data services (EDGE, 3G, HSPA+, WiMax, LTE, etc.). The carriers could start sending SMS and voice down data pipelines, but that would cause our already congested data speeds to get even slower. You're charged separately, because you're using two totally different aspects of the network; two totally different aspects of the network are used, because it keeps data speeds and voice networks from getting congested; congestion is when your phone doesn't do what you want and you QQ rage at your carrier for sucking.

    As per the OP, have you tried GroupMe? I used to use TextPlus with my friends and fam and we switched to GroupMe. Also, cute tiel!!! I wish I could get mine to stop singing the GW2 battle music >.<
    Thanked by:
    metalchick719 likes this.
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by kantFTW View Post
    As per the OP, have you tried GroupMe? I used to use TextPlus with my friends and fam and we switched to GroupMe. Also, cute tiel!!! I wish I could get mine to stop singing the GW2 battle music >.<
    Nope, never used that. Is it just available to WP? If so, that's why I haven't ever used it. The Lumia 810 will be my first ever. :D

    Thanks! His name is Ozzy, named after Ozzy Osbourne because he was playing on the radio in the car when we got him. :P
  14. nrk112's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #15  
    I think you can send texts through a google voice app like metrotalk. I cant say I have used it much though.
    Thanked by:
  15. #16  
    Hike offers SMS via Hike if the recipient doesn't have the Hike app. If the recipient has Hike, the message is free.
    This might be what you're looking for.
    Thanked by:
  16.    #17  
    Well, I got my new phone tonight and tried textPlus on it, but no dice. I get an error message instead.

    Can anyone tell me if kik will send texts to people who don't also have the app? That's one of the things I love about textPlus, so it would really be great if this is a possibility.
  17. AZBrowncoat's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    123 Posts
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchick719 View Post
    Well, I got my new phone tonight and tried textPlus on it, but no dice. I get an error message instead.

    Can anyone tell me if kik will send texts to people who don't also have the app? That's one of the things I love about textPlus, so it would really be great if this is a possibility.
    Receiving the following error from TextPlus
    Error - Failed to register your device. Do you wish to retry?
    Tried 'retry' over and over and even deleted re-installed the app. Issue persists through soft reset as well.

    Tried KIK and although it does seem to work well it would appear that both parties have to have the same app and you do not receive a real textable number unlike TextPlus.
  18. #19  
    So far the only app that I know can send text to real numbers is textplus. Unfortunately it doesn't work on wp8 yet so I have been using whatsapp. realized a number of my friends have it so it wasn't a problem. I am still waiting for textplus to get updated asap though because it just works better and keeps record of my texts in the cloud(on ios and android, at least).
  19. Castillo956's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #20  
    Text me app
  20. david90531's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    893 Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Castillo956 View Post
    Text me app
    I'm still unsure if that app works or not. I tried to text my friends in US (i'm in Canada but it gave me a US number), but they said they never received it
  21. glimited's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    82 Posts
    #22  
    If you're in the US, sign up for a free Google Voice # and use MetroTalk. I've been using that ever since I switched from an iPhone and it's been working great. I canceled my text plan altogether since it works so well.
  22. lumia920yay's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    #23  
    I was using textplus on my at&t rom...it worked perfect for more than 1 phone. As soon as I flashed it to rogers, it stopped working....so it could have something to do with the location registry and coding...

Similar Threads

  1. Purchasing games from WP7 -> Usage on WP8
    By jwcdis in forum Windows Phone Games
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-17-2012, 03:06 PM
  2. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 04:02 PM
  3. Do you think Samsung and HTC is going bring more focus on Wp8
    By 12Danny123 in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2012, 02:39 AM
  4. the NEXT date on WP8 horizon?! SDK release?
    By Nickkk101 in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2012, 01:28 PM
  5. The pureview on WP8 will crush the competition
    By the_tyrant in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-16-2012, 03:32 PM

Posting Permissions