Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Disk space? It is on a flash memory chip so why can't you just call it memory. In Dutch we use it as the translation of memory (geheugen) and space (ruimte) both. I know what you mean because memory is usually the RAM but memory just the trivial name for 'disk space' too.

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    I suppose it's just me working in IT that hates calling it memory. Granted it's Flash Memory, but just calling it memory really grates me. It's been a long day and I'll head back to my dark corner now

Haha I want to work in IT if I graduate in next school year. I'm glad you said that! The more you know (draws rainbow with hands)!

Quote Originally Posted by D0gsballs View Post
    Can I just jump in because nearly everyone is annoying me. This isn't memory, it's disk space. Thanks.
    "Disk" space? Maybe storage space, if we need to be pedantic.

-E

Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I think its your offline cache. Go to each of your apps and clear offline contents. WPCentral for example has its own offline cache to store archives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitu Pham View Post
    I would say LOL, Windows Phone is a Toy OS ever I have been useing, damn.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    So you're here, but why?

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalWarrior View Post
    So you're here, but why?
    I love UI but most useful functions is still in developing process, and now I really use my lumia for taking photos and VDOs, whatsapp sometimes, phone call, facebook sometimes, that's all.
    Because when I want to video call or VoIP with my oversea friends, it's only available on (restricted) Skype, no Tango, no Wechat Video Chat, no Viber VoIP, no LINE VoIP, no no no... feel like back into symbian again :(
    I am not giving up but when people ask me if they want to join WP, I always do not recommend them.

Until WP is perfect for everyone to use, I'm still not proud to say any think yet.

Most of my time is one Nexus 7, it's sad but it's true.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I've had enough of this now. I can't even update apps I already have installed. I've cleared all texts, emails, removed some Nokia music offline mixes, cleared internet cache....and I've got 10mb free on my 820.

Is there ANY way of clearing this 'other' storage apart from a hard reset (meaning I lose all saved games). I'm not downloading new apps here, I'm not adding to my storage with photos or videos, I'm desperately trying to avoid anything that might add to storage at all and I'm losing space all the time.

There are threads here, on the MS site, on the Nokia site, on other blogs and I've have not seen ANY official acknowledgement from MS about this either to admit it's a bug or explain what it is and how to manage it (I don't mean mods talking about dynamic storage which can't be the case as it's NOT releasing extra memory as required). It's breaking functionality of the phone.

Sorry if this sounds a little ranty but I love WP8 but no way would I recommend the OS to a friend with this issue. Tweeted Sam Sabri asking if WPC were aware of the problem it the other week and he said they'd look into it. Not sure if WPC has ever run an article on the issue have they? Seems odd considering how many people are complaining it.

I think microsoft is going to fix this issue with the next update. Ballmer must notice this on his Phone, eh? Or is he using an iPhone. It wouldn't surprise me though.
    Technoloay likes this.

I currently own Nokia Lumia 820 and I love this phone, it's butter smooth and it's great in functionality but the thing which is bugging me is other storage which is in phone memory and its taking a lot of space.

Lumia 820 comes with 8 GB internal memory of which 7.41 GB is available out of which OS takes 1.93 GB, So only 5.8 GB is user accessible.

The problem is out of 5.8 GB other storage is taking 4.4 GB of space, only 1 GB of space is available for apps. Music and Videos can be offloaded on memory card but for apps the storage available is way too less. Other storage gradually increases over time, when I brought Lumia 820 it comes with 400 MB and it gradually increase to about 4 GB in just one month usage.

Other storage said to consist of IE, OS and application caches and it's really unacceptable to be of so much huge in size.

I urge all of windows phone 8 users to report your other storage here in this thread and escalate the issue.
    Technoloay likes this.
    I have the Lumia 620 and it has 626MB after having the phone for two days.

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Please understand how this 'Other' storage works before going off.. It's a dynamically allocated space, basically the OS will grab as much space as it can and reserve it. But it will release it if it is needed for other purposes. Simple way to test this is to copy a number of large, say movie, files to the phone. It will make the 'Other' storage smaller as you copy more data to the phone. Also if you record video or photos they will be in the 'Other' storage until you copy them to a PC after which they will be in normal storage and the space they occupied in 'Other' is released to the system.

At least that is what I found by searching the web and then testing this on my 620.
    Thanked by:

I'm using the Nokia 920, and my other storage is always round 1.98GB.
    Technoloay likes this.

lumia 920.
    apps 3.37GB
    other 2.50 GB
    free space 19.91 GB

i tend to keep a lot of free space for videos. i don't think 8 GB is adequate for a phone tbh. even ipods ditched 8 GB
    Samsung Ativ S 16gb version. 2.54gb of Other on built-in storage, 22.48 on 16gb SD card.

Quote Originally Posted by paulheu View Post
    Please understand how this 'Other' storage works before going off.. It's a dynamically allocated space, basically the OS will grab as much space as it can and reserve it. But it will release it if it is needed for other purposes. Simple way to test this is to copy a number of large, say movie, files to the phone. It will make the 'Other' storage smaller as you copy more data to the phone. Also if you record video or photos they will be in the 'Other' storage until you copy them to a PC after which they will be in normal storage and the space they occupied in 'Other' is released to the system.

At least that is what I found by searching the web and then testing this on my 620.
    I also done the same, recorded the hd video on internal memory and other storage is reduced from 4.51 GB to 4 GB. And its not reducing further but 4 GB is still too much. Any other solution...

Lumia 920. Other is currently at 11GB!
    Zeroplanetz likes this.

My other is at 4gb, 1gb left. Weak.

music & videos 3.08MB
    pictures 0
    apps 1.79 GB
    OTHER 3.29GB
    system 1.91GB
    free space 416.20MB

really there must be a way to sort this

just cleaned out ie cache & now have 4.63 MB free

what ive noticed is im not saving anything or really adding apps but when i stream movies or tv series' the seem to save into the other section also even tho im not downloading them, mines is now at 5gb on the lumia 820

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    As mentioned earlier the other storage is released when you get close to running out of memory. This can problemtic at times tho.
    However there is this app: Shrink Storage | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    That should allow to free up some space, I'm going to try it out later tonight.

Shrink Storage didn't do anything for me. Why can't WP8 use the SD card for other things besides pictures and music?

Lumia 920

music + videos = 10.39gb <= 6 full length movies is included in this number. Like Evolution, Green Lantern, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, and Star Trek.
    pictures = 616.10mb
    apps = 1.72gb
    other = 2.96gb
    system = 1.72gb
    free space = 11.74gb

edit: Also if anyone knows how to bypass the drm on my digital copy of avengers I have on my desktop to be able to move it to my phone and surface would be greatly appreciated.

It would be great if Other worked as intended and released space as needed. But it doesn't. It may be how Microsoft designed the OS to work. But it doesn't work that way. Trust me. I've been dealing with wasted Other space for the last 3 months. Here's some quick examples:
    Example 1: I have 5.00 GB other used, 100MB free space. I go to download an app greater than 100MB. Error! Please free up some space on your phone.
    Example 2: I have 5.20 GB other used, 30MB free space. I go to start recording a video. Error! Please free up some space on your phone.
    Example 3: I have 5.00 GB other used, 100MB free space. I go to download a map for Nokia Drive greater than 100MB. Error! Please free up some space on your phone.
    Other does not free itself when needed.
    This is a major bug that is preventing users from downloading apps and costing developers money. You'd think it would top priority for Microsoft to address.
    The only solution is to hard reset your phone.

yeah but why is market saying that I have no space? It's not that dynamic as it should be...
    it's the biggest bug in microsoft since history i guess.

It's like the biggest dustbin you've ever seen, wow great, but once it's full, there is no way to empty it. LOL i guess i'm f*ked with my HTC 8s.
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast