Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    Lockscreen apps don't work - FB or Bing wallpapers, never change!

    Store is throwing up errors on trying to update apps.

    Xbox Music DRM is pain. All the music that's dragged and dropped works and then stops, then works again!

    Xbox Music cloud sync - fails every time. Whatever I buy on W8 should go to cloud and then WP8 right? It doesn't!

    Skype - anyone got it to run in background? For me even if it's running, it gives resuming screen and then connects for a couple of seconds. I don't appear online ever to any of my skype contacts!

    Only thing that partially works is Kid's corner out of the key WP8 features!

    I am feeling a little cheated but please someone come along and pour back that WP8 spirit in me! What am I doing wrong? I am in absolute love with Lumia 920 but this time OS doesn't seem to deliver. Last time we thought hardware specs don't deliver, blamed and cursed limit on hardware specs. This time gorgeous phones, but OS isn't what it said on the tin. Anyone feeling similar? How did you resolve your issues?
  2. Genserik's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    32 Posts
    #2  
    I can't judge the OS till Microsoft resolves its marketplace issue today.
  3. nicooke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    95 Posts
    #3  
    It is like NOBODY tested the OS. It has SOOOO much potential but if it continues to be bug ridden the frankly I'm giving up on it - email bug, Skype not integrated like promised, random reboots - just found another one - Xbox music app crashed when trying to delete a song. Had to reboot twice to be able to do so. Doesn't seem like MS is really trying if this is their saviour....
  4. SnailUK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    967 Posts
    #4  
    You get something new on day 1, and are supprised it isn't perfect? Being that the majority of our apps are WP7 apps, rather than WP8 apps, its hardly a supprise some have issues.

    WP7 was a pile of pants until the first update. From my experience, WP8 is much better than WP7 was initially. Listening round the office, there are just as many complaints about issues with iOS and Android when new versions come out.

    Most important thing to do, is make sure the anonymous feedback thing is enabled in the settings, so Microsoft get details of your usage, and the errors that are happening on your phone.
    Thanked by:
    martinmc78 and cthulhucometh like this.
  5. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #5  
    Got to say i agree with SnailUK - youve got to take the first few months use as a given that theres going to be issues - Having my 8x for over two weeks alot of the early niggles have gone. No more reboots, figured out the xbox music DRM issue, figured out the password thing on kids corner. The marketplace issue is a given until more dedicated WP8 apps come out and that will also solve app issues that are cropping up.
  6. nicooke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    95 Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    You get something new on day 1, and are supprised it isn't perfect? Being that the majority of our apps are WP7 apps, rather than WP8 apps, its hardly a supprise some have issues.

    WP7 was a pile of pants until the first update. From my experience, WP8 is much better than WP7 was initially. Listening round the office, there are just as many complaints about issues with iOS and Android when new versions come out.

    Most important thing to do, is make sure the anonymous feedback thing is enabled in the settings, so Microsoft get details of your usage, and the errors that are happening on your phone.
    I don't expect a 400 phone to have random reboots up to 3 or 4 times a day, no. I know it is brand new but to use as a phone it at least has to stay on! It is basic to be able to delete albums from the phone, but ignoring that I shouldn't see crashing on their Xbox Music product as it was a major selling point and brand new. And they should have been honest and said that Skype wasn't going to be anywhere near integrated at launch. Just feel like I have paid through the nose for something that doesn't work. I really wanted to love WP8 but I'm on the edge now, this is poor QA and I agree with a lot of the comments that say the launch was rushed.

    And the marketplace issue is not a lack of apps - honestly most of the apps I actually use are on there anyway. But it frequently just errors and won't let me buy anything.
    Thanked by:
  7. majortom1981's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    145 Posts
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    #7  
    Keep in mind a lot of the apps on the store are windows phone 7 apps. I am new to windows phone but from what I understand the facebook app is a windows phone 7 app and that's probably why it doesn't change on the lock screen.My experience with bing on my lumia 920 and on windows 7 and 8 is that the wallpaper changes once a day. My Skype app works the way it should. which phone do you have?
  8. nicooke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    95 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
    Keep in mind a lot of the apps on the store are windows phone 7 apps. I am new to windows phone but from what I understand the facebook app is a windows phone 7 app and that's probably why it doesn't change on the lock screen.My experience with bing on my lumia 920 and on windows 7 and 8 is that the wallpaper changes once a day. My Skype app works the way it should. which phone do you have?
    I have an 8X. I know most apps are WP7 apps, that isn't my worry. The OS itself is buggy. I tried to make excuses but can't accept daily random reboots. Nobody can argue that as being normal. And it isn't device specific - the Lumias have it too so it must be an OS bug. My skype app works when it is open, and I know it is a preview, but it was meant to be integrated - MS simply didn't finish the OS and the bits they promised before release. At least with Android I can fix bits myself.

    I'm not anti WP at all - I really want it to succeed - but I am wary of whether with this many bugs at release it can!
  9. SnailUK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    967 Posts
    #9  
    My lock screen updates once a day from Bing. Seems pretty reasonable to me. I don't want all my cell bandwidth being stolen by lock screen pictures.
  10. ryude's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    My lock screen updates once a day from Bing. Seems pretty reasonable to me. I don't want all my cell bandwidth being stolen by lock screen pictures.
    You must be the only person so far that says it works. My Bing lockscreen never updates, I have to go into the settings and switch it to Photo and back to Bing to update.
  11. nicooke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    95 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryude View Post
    You must be the only person so far that says it works. My Bing lockscreen never updates, I have to go into the settings and switch it to Photo and back to Bing to update.
    I think mine auto-updated once, but it isn't consistent.
  12. charlyee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    304 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,800 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryude View Post
    You must be the only person so far that says it works. My Bing lockscreen never updates, I have to go into the settings and switch it to Photo and back to Bing to update.
    I just changed mine to Bing from photo yesterday and it has nicely updated today. :)

    Sent from my Lumia 820 using Board Express
    The SmartPhone Parade (2006-Now)
    QTEK 9100 > Samsung Blackjack > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > BB 9700 > Xperia X10 > Motorola Atrix > HTC Vivid > Lumia 900 > Lumia 820
  13. ryude's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    I just changed mine to Bing from photo yesterday and it has nicely updated today. :)

    Sent from my Lumia 820 using Board Express
    I'll try it again, maybe it sticks every once in a while.
  14. martinmc78's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,716 Posts
    #14  
    My bing lockscreen changes daily and my facebook lockscreen pulls in a new picture almost every time i unlock the phone & when i update my status it posts it on my lockscreen. There are problems with the OS but its not a global issue the majortity will have everything working fine. If your a person that cant accept glitches and bugs in a new system then switch OS and switch device. People with issues will be in the minority and im glad to say im now not part of that minority as my device is fine after the initial few days of reboots and crashes. Every OS and device will have its issues nothing is ever perfect its all down to what you are willing to put up with. Something else i would say is that if your buying phones off contract and paying full price you severely reduce your rights as a phone user. I know that if i had anything major go wrong with my phone i could walk into an O2 store and get a replacement at no cost.
  15.    #15  
    I am not really bothered about the apps that are designed for WP7, not working on WP8. I know they will eventually.

    But the sort of things I mentioned in OP, are the ones that are WP8 features! They were shown to be spanking superb on launch.

    Skype for example - is a new version right? Should work from day 1, but doesn't. Bing wallpapers another. Same with facebook wallpapers. These are features of WP8, if they don't work, what will work on WP8?

    Plus being an early adopter isn't equivalent to being a beta tester is it? Early adopters instead are the ones who will show off this phone and get more adopters from word of mouth. For example, I went to buy stuff for graphic design store and the owner loved my yellow lumia. I let him have a go with my phone and see how he loves it. He was all so happy with it, he decided to order one and I got him on EE's website and showed him the deal he should go for. He ordered on right in front of my eyes! Now how do you expect early adopters to do this if they are beta testers who cannot show off the phone without bugs? I didn't dare to mention those live wallpapers OR Xbox music streaming, which are my fav features since launch. Why? Because I was 99% sure it wouldn't work and throw up an error and I will be in pants situation!
  16. n3rfh3rd3r's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #16  
    Anyone that has gotten overly concerned over the performance of the phone needs to figure out if its hardware - that can be replaced - or software which a firmware update could fix. If you cannot hold out for either, as a consumer you can exercise your right to return the item and exchange it for something else.
  17. TeknoBlast's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    #17  
    Dont know about anyone here, but my L810 works great and havent had any issues at all. GO WP!!!
  18. ryude's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by wamsille View Post
    Anyone that has gotten overly concerned over the performance of the phone needs to figure out if its hardware - that can be replaced - or software which a firmware update could fix. If you cannot hold out for either, as a consumer you can exercise your right to return the item and exchange it for something else.
    You couldn't pry my Lumia from my cold dead fingers... BUT, I want the phone to work as it was advertised!
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by TeknoBlast View Post
    Dont know about anyone here, but my L810 works great and havent had any issues at all. GO WP!!!
    You don't have any of the mentioned issues at all? :O

    That must be Joe's phone then ;)
  20. nicooke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    95 Posts
    #20  
    After my little day of vitriol I've calmed down a but, cancelled my rma and will stick out for an update
  21. diapers's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by nicooke View Post
    After my little day of vitriol I've calmed down a but, cancelled my rma and will stick out for an update
    listen. If your phone reboots it's a hardware issue and you need to RMA it. I went though this with my first WP7 phone (LG optimus) and it would reboot randomly all the time, RMAed it, they said nothin was wrong with it so I sold it and got a samsung focus.. and it never randomly reboots.

    It will always reboot and you'll never be happy with it as long as you have it.
  22. strokee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    157 Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by tuufly View Post
    listen. If your phone reboots it's a hardware issue and you need to RMA it. I went though this with my first WP7 phone (LG optimus) and it would reboot randomly all the time, RMAed it, they said nothin was wrong with it so I sold it and got a samsung focus.. and it never randomly reboots.

    It will always reboot and you'll never be happy with it as long as you have it.
    You're saying that software/firmware can't cause random reboots? I think it is highly possible that the rebooting is hardware related...doesn't mean they can't/won't find/fix the problem.

    It appears that WP8 was extremely rushed and nobody was able to properly test the OS. It also sounds like both Nokia and htc rushed production of their devices and, as a result, they may have shipped out faulty devices. This entire launch appears to have been a massive, disasterous train wreck. Who knows what is causing the rebooting? They better fix it, though or I will just stay with iOS.
  23.    #23  
    If you decide to sell your phone, please consider me. I will buy it off you!
  24. SnailUK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    967 Posts
    #24  
    Am i the only one it works for, or am i the only one that isn't that bothered, and therefore doesn't get impatient and force it manually?
    Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express
  25.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    Am i the only one it works for, or am i the only one that isn't that bothered, and therefore doesn't get impatient and force it manually?
    Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express
    Probably you are the only one. Because why else would anyone else pay so much money and not be bothered at all about how things don't work after paying!?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions