Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Add me as well. Every other phone which can connect to WiFi works with my company WiFi but not Lumia 920. Just irritates me. I'm pretty sure it's with the self signed certificates my company uses. But other OSes connect without any problem and no idea why WP8 won't.

Update: Just found out that my old Focus can connect to the same WiFi without any problem. What the **** MS? You broke this in WP8?
    Last edited by blnwp; 12-11-2012 at 03:41 PM.

I can finally connect to my PEAP network at work after the 920 update today. :D

I think something else may have changed for you. It still doesn't work for me after the update. Same errors, same conclusion I had previously.

I promised to follow-up after working through things with my IT. I still plan to do this...just a busy time of year.

Tested this morning before I updated and after. Network configs in our two places still might be a bit different.

hum....wonder if the update had any updated Root Certs from the CA's. In my case, this wouldn't matter since we don't use one at all (or it is expired). That's the question I still need to get from my IT.

For those that haven't read through the thread, the reason other smartphones work with PEAP without an effort, is because they have the option to not check the server cert at all. This is different than our settings. "Validate server certificate" in our connection options really means, make sure it is using this specific cert, versus any valid cert. We have no option to not validate.

Digging this thread up in hopes that users will see. Some are reporting the Portico update allows them to finally connect to PEAP secured WIFI networks. Give it a shot!

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Having authentication problems connecting to a WPA2 network. Ran across another post on another site where the problem was fixed by switching the router from a mixed 802.11 b/g network to a straight g network. Unfortunately, I can't test it here, but I hope this helps some people—would love to hear if this fixes some people's problems.
  8. R S

Quote Originally Posted by intendedacceleration View Post
    Add me to the list of folks having issues connecting to a PEAP wifi network. I can connect after I imported the correct root cert, but I have to manually reconnect ever time as it seems to wipe out my credentials. I have no issues on any other wifi network.
    I have exactly the same issue with L920 connecting to eduroam wifi at my University. Connections are OK, it's just every reconnection (after a short timeout period - nor sure how long that lasts) requires the setup and login credentials to be reentered.
  9. R S

Quote Originally Posted by sundawg#WP View Post
    I think something else may have changed for you. It still doesn't work for me after the update. Same errors, same conclusion I had previously.

I promised to follow-up after working through things with my IT. I still plan to do this...just a busy time of year.
    I got the portico update last night and was hopeful it might have made a difference, but it doesn't. I can still make a connection (at the third attempt after certificate validation errors, and being asked to enter my details again), but after a certain period of time, I lose the connection and need to reenter all the details again. No change after the update.
    Add me to the List... We need for Corporate Users EAP-TTLS !

I can Connect for the Moment but for the Future its planed to use only: EAP-TTLS
    So MS Please think about the Chances in Corporate use and give us what we Definitly need and all others can without Problems!
  11. R S

Just to confirm whether the problem with connecting and reconnecting to Wifi networks is device or OS specific, I've tried a HTC 8X on my University eduroam network (with Portico) applied, and it behaves in exactly the same way as the Lumia 920. My conclusion is that the problem is with WP8, and Portico does not fix it. This is pretty serious - not being able to connect to a Wifi network means I'll need to be using a different device that does. NB WP7 does not have this problem.

I am having the same issues. Verizon 8X with Portico Update. I also was able to connect with my HTC Trophy without any issues.

My Ativ S will not connect to work's WiFi.

When entering the password, the connection is unsuccesful. It comes up with the error 'incorrect password'. Although the password is most defo correct.

The work's WiFi network is a wpa2 type. On Google-ing 'wp8 wifi incorrect password' and 'wp8 won't connect wpa2', loads of forums are thrown up with people having the same fault. Including people here on the official WP8 forums. Although Microsoft don't seem to reply. This fault seems to be a WP8 firmware issue, as it's apparent across multiple makes of WP8 phones.

Everyone elses phones and laptops in my workplace (Android, iPhone, Windows XP) all connect fine to the wifi.

Some people have found that changing the broadcast type from 'n' to 'g' or from 'both' to 'g', whichever way round it is. But as this is my work's wifi so I cannot do this. And in fairness... shouldn't have to do this.

Has Microsoft or anyone else got the answer to fixing this issue?
    I have a HTC Windows 8x. i am trying to sign in to my companys wifi. I was able to sign in a few weeks ago, but now I get
    a password incorrect error. The password i am inputting is correct, i have a Kindle Fire logged into the same network. And, my IT
    guy tried to enter the password and still got the same message. Is there a way to reset the connections without resetting the whole phone?

You can tap the advanced button from the Wi-Fi settings and scroll down to see all of the saved networks you've successfully connected to. Find the one you want to "reset" and tap and hold. A delete menu pick will appear. Alternatively use the checklist button at the bottom to allow you to select networks in conjunction with the trash can.

Not sure if that is what you were asking or not.

I'm finally coming back with my update. Clearly there are a few different issues mentioned in this thread, but I want to reply to the PEAP authentication and certificate situation I was having. Yes, I said "was".

My IT finally went around as part of a mobile device security goal for the year (yay for annual goals), and put valid certificates on our PEAP authentication servers. At the same time they rolled out Mobile Iron which is one of the ways enterprises can push apps, policies and certificates to your device (uses the WP8 company apps feature - which is cool to see). The roll out included certificates. And just like that, magically my WPA2-Enterprise-AES with PEAP connection started working.

For PEAP, correct and valid certificates are definitely required. And again, iOS and Android let you skirt the check and is why they work without hassle. I suspect MS thinks they are helping us be more secure, and technically they are. If your IT is asking to send corporate credentials via Wi-Fi, they should really have valid certs. Furthermore, if the valid certs are self-signed you need the matching Root CA installed on your device (which you can do by emailing it to your phone to install it).

I, like many others, also noted that they were able to get their WP7 device connected but not their WP8. My theory is that WP7 wasn't checking for a valid cert (or at least the same level of validity). If this is true, it seems that WP8 is more secure - at least with this connection configuration.

one more thing. For those of you having incorrect password errors. If you are authenticating with a PEAP server, you need to include your domain as part of your name like this: domain\username. For some of you this is obvious, but for others, maybe not.

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sundawg#WP View Post
    one more thing. For those of you having incorrect password errors. If you are authenticating with a PEAP server, you need to include your domain as part of your name like this: domain\username. For some of you this is obvious, but for others, maybe not.
    What do you mean by this?

I'm assuming that most folks here connecting to an enterprise/business/school wifi use Microsoft Windows Domains. But PEAP does allow other methods. If you are expected to use a Windows domain, then the domain\username is a typical expectation for MS-CHAPv2 authentication. Here is a useful TechNet article. As far as I can tell, PEAP on our Windows Phones only supports MS-CHAPv2 auth.

Understanding 802.1X authentication for wireless networks: Wireless

Specifically I like the PEAP section that talks about the authentication process. It's phase one that fails if the server cert is not valid and causes the Connection Unsuccessful error. If you are getting password errors, then you've made it to the second phase.

PEAP authentication process

The PEAP authentication process consists of two main phases:

• Server authentication and the creation of a TLS encryption channel. The server identifies itself to a client by providing certificate information to the client. After the client verifies the identity of the server, a master secret is generated. The session keys that are derived from the master secret are then used to create a TLS encryption channel that encrypts all subsequent communication between the server and the wireless client.
    • EAP conversation and user and client computer authentication. A complete EAP conversation between the client and the server is encapsulated within the TLS encryption channel. With PEAP, you can use any one of several EAP authentication methods, such as passwords, smart cards, and certificates, to authenticate the user and client computer.

The session keys that are generated during the PEAP authentication process provide keying material for the Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) encryption keys that encrypt the data that is sent between wireless clients and wireless access points.
    You can use PEAP with any of the following authentication methods for wireless authentication:

• EAP-TLS, which uses certificates for server authentication and either certificates or smart cards for user and client computer authentication.
    • EAP-MS-CHAP v2, which uses certificates for server authentication and credentials for user authentication.
    • Non-Microsoft EAP authentication methods.

I also had problems connecting to WPA2 enterprise networks, untill a few days ago. I received a few updates for Nokia apps including Network+ After installing these updates I am now able to connect to WPA2 Enterprise networks.

Quote Originally Posted by lionel007 View Post
    I also had problems connecting to WPA2 enterprise networks, untill a few days ago. I received a few updates for Nokia apps including Network+ After installing these updates I am now able to connect to WPA2 Enterprise networks.
    The same for me, except only worked for three days. Now can't connect again.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Suddenly started working since the past week in my Lumia 920. I tested after Portico and didn't work at that time with PEAP. But I tested a week back again and connected without any problems. Not sure whether something was upgraded from the WiFi access point side in my company.

My battery problem got better with always-on WiFi now.

I did not try to connect to the company's WiFi for quite a while, tired of doing that. Today I just gave it try, did not expect it would work, but it works now!

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I just got an LGC900 Quantum when I switched carriers. I didn't want to sign a contract for a phone that came out 5 months ago (like the 920) so I brought my own phone. Wifi is a HUGE problem on my phone. I've been planning to sign a contract once the next Nokia WP flagship comes out but if it is as much a problem for WP8 with wifi, I won't go WinPhone. That makes me sad, but the wifi problems I'm having are a dealbreaker.

hi - just got a new windows htc 8x - works fine at home - but unable to connect to the work wifi ....All netgear access points . Wg102, Wg302 .
    ( In going into the AP - the certificate is out of date, but I can still get in ) -
    Been looking at all the threads - and changed the netgear access point to G use only. that doesn't work -
    has anybody got any solutions. Just tried my old windows 7 phone and its fine .

bit disappointed ..
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast