Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Which apps take the most advantage of the large live tiles in windows phone 8?

Is there a twitter app that shows a "live" stream of your feed in a tile?

Is there an app that shows a "live" stream of breaking news in a tile?

etc, thanks!
    Muessig likes this.

I can tell you which app isn't the best. Bloomberg. It's supposedly a live tile app, but I can't tell that it does jack squat on my phone. Is live tile integration supposed to be configurable within the app?

I'm also not sure if the Weather Channel app automatically updates the tile. I do know the tile updates when I open the app.

Global Posts
    2,617 Global Posts
    CNN has a decent live tile. It will show one headline at a time along with a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    CNN has a decent live tile. It will show one headline at a time along with a picture.
    Yea but it just shows one top story. I'm looking for 2-3 stories not one big story that updates once a day.
    WPCentral is #1

Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    WPCentral is #1
    Does it have a large live tile or only medium?

Quote Originally Posted by B T C View Post
    I can tell you which app isn't the best. Bloomberg. It's supposedly a live tile app, but I can't tell that it does jack squat on my phone.
    Bloomberg does make a nice-looking lockscreen. Doesn't do squat, but it does look cool...

I should expect BBC News Mobile (written by Lawrence Gripper) will probably be updated with a live tile soon, at the moment it's implementation on the medium tile size is very good- it pages through 3 or 4 of the top stories from whichever feed that tile is set to (I have one for Front Page and one for Business) and updates at least 4/5 times daily

so there are basically no decent "full screen" live tiles available?

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    metrotube and newsy and the daily best

Global Posts
    629 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B T C View Post
    I can tell you which app isn't the best. Bloomberg. It's supposedly a live tile app, but I can't tell that it does jack squat on my phone. Is live tile integration supposed to be configurable within the app?

I'm also not sure if the Weather Channel app automatically updates the tile. I do know the tile updates when I open the app.
    The Weather Channel tile definitely updates, but if I had to guess I would say only once an hour. I know it does change for sure, but there have been times where I've opened the app to discover that the current temperature is different than what shows on the tile.

I was liking the Bloomberg tile at first. When I saw that it displayed the markets on my home screen I thought it was pretty sweet. Unfortunately, it will only show the DJIA for me and never shows anything else. I'm not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by henilp89 View Post
    metrotube and newsy and the daily best
    metrotube is not live for me :(

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorTripp View Post
    I was liking the Bloomberg tile at first. When I saw that it displayed the markets on my home screen I thought it was pretty sweet. Unfortunately, it will only show the DJIA for me and never shows anything else. I'm not sure why.
    My Bloomberg tile seems to be static, but whoever published the app claims it uses live tiles. Is it dependent upon the size of the tile? I think any kind of update would be nice.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    The Microsoft-made "Weather" app is way better than Weather Channel for its live tile. Weather Channel would never auto-update its live tile, but this one does. And it keeps the metro styling.
    idavid likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nico002 View Post
    so there are basically no decent "full screen" live tiles available?
    You essentially defined "decent" as being an RSS feed of news stories. While I don't know if this exists, I certainly haven't come across one. The BBC (unofficial app) also shows only one news story, but it updates fairly often (multiple times a day, not once as you mentioned). Still doesn't fit all of your criteria though and it's only a medium tile.

The world of red bull app uses live tiles really well. You can set it up to 4 medium tiles and use them as a mosaic to show pictures of a specific sport. This gives means you get pictures right across your start screen. Also you can set the lock screen to show pictures of a specific athlete such as i get mine to show me pictures of Travis rice, a professional snowboarder and it is awesome!!! I really recommend it!

The best that I have found is "Weave" and "USA Today"

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Is the big HTC 'Clock' tile available on non-HTC handsets?

Global Posts
    3,387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wpoblation View Post
    Is the big HTC 'Clock' tile available on non-HTC handsets?
    Nope, I love that icon.

Quote Originally Posted by sabotagebx View Post
    metrotube is not live for me :(
    Make it bigger, the little one isnt live. And make sure in settings you enable main tile flipping.

It still dumbfounds me that Live Tile support on Windows Phone is still so incredibly bad. It is one of the main selling points and coolest aspects of the OS IMO. I had so much trouble on my Lumia 900 with live tiles. I was literally only allowed to have 3. If I ever put a fourth on my start screen, they all would completely stop updating. I never really heard about anyone else having this issue.

Now with my 920, I dont have this issue anymore, but still many professional companies make apps with subpar live tiles that look like junks and never update properly. Literally if someone made an app with a large weather live tile. that had a whole bunch of current conditions on one side, and when it flips shows the 3 or 5 day forecast, they would prob be a millionaire. That is a shame.

Also, as mentioned above the Bloomberg app is trash. Is there specifically any apps that are better for stocks on your live tiles? I

As Nokias ESPN app does nothing on my live tile. Its live tile description is not very good, but it seems like any of the teams you set as "My Teams" scores should appear on your live tile. I have it enabled and choose a whole bunch of teams across many sports. And the live tile does nothing. It just says ESPN, doesnt flip, doesnt show any scores.

Back on topic for the OP though, I am kinda of a weather nerd (I do work for NOAA) and two weather apps which I have had good experiences with are Nokia Weather Channel app. Its current condition has updated 100% for me (about every hour) for a week now. Worked great on my Lumia 900 too. Thought it is lacking a large tile. But honestly I see most peoples start screens and they dont even use big tiles because they take up so much space. You can only fit 3-4 rows of medium/large tiles on your start screen. One large tile means you are sacrificing 16 small tiles.

Also, the app called "Weather Radar Tile" show an up to date live tile showing the radar image for your region (either a set location or it can follow you!). While I know other apps show radar images, this ones is better in a sense that it shows the NWS radar image. Other apps like the weather channel show a hybrid composite image which doesnt really tell you what is actually reaching the ground. Only works in usa though.

People tile is also decent large, but it doesnt seem that was the answer you were after.

Otherwise, havent found any great live tiles that work.
    Thanked by:
    Rich Edmonds likes this.
    The Windows Phone Central app has an incredible Live Tile, ahem.

:)

Richard Edmonds
    UK Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email: rich@wpcentral.com
    Twitter: @RichEdmonds
    Socl: RichEdmonds

Global Posts
    1,655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Edmonds View Post
    The Windows Phone Central app has an incredible Live Tile, ahem.

:)
    Trying it now. Does the pay version remove the ads?

Global Posts
    1,655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tk-093 View Post
    Trying it now. Does the pay version remove the ads?
    Answered my own question when I bought it.. yes, yes it does. :)

Global Posts
    7,951 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsenic17 View Post
    Also, as mentioned above the Bloomberg app is trash. Is there specifically any apps that are better for stocks on your live tiles?
    Markets & Me looks pretty, but I frequently have issues with it updating, so I use MyStocks Portfolio, which can show up to 6 stocks on a tile.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenic17 View Post
    As Nokias ESPN app does nothing on my live tile. Its live tile description is not very good, but it seems like any of the teams you set as "My Teams" scores should appear on your live tile. I have it enabled and choose a whole bunch of teams across many sports. And the live tile does nothing. It just says ESPN, doesnt flip, doesnt show any scores.
    Try the ESPN Scorecenter (non-Nokia) app instead. It's updated for WP8, and it works much better.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast