Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Just throwing my voice in this. I believe its a bug. WP support reply with what size is the tile but it doesn't matter. I've tried all different kinds of resolutions but it still comes out pixelated. It kind of boggles the mind on how this was missed.

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    It actually just happened to me, too. I synced it with my Live Account and Facebook. I want this fixed now... :(

Global Posts
    615 Global Posts
    This happens when you update your profile/avatar picture on one of your networks. I noticed this yesterday when I changed my Microsoft account picture on my Windows 8 laptop. The picture got pixelated on my 8X and on my main desktop computer with Windows 8. The same happens with wallpapers between Windows 8 computers, even the "original" (the one you set on one computer) becomes pixelated after it syncs to other devices.

On WP8, the easy fix is to go to the Me tile, tap on the picture to change it and select the same picture and publish it to Twitter or Facebook. I like to have the same picture on all of my networks so If I want to use another picture, I change Outlook first (can also be change from Windows Live Messenger or Windows 8 Me app) and Facebook and Twitter.

It's a problem on their servers I guess because of the issue I described with wallpapers on Windows 8.
    casab1anca likes this.

Yes, updating the image only for facebook fixed the pixelated image for me!
    Thanked by:

I can concur. It has something to do with updating your Hotmail /Outlook profile pic. If you update just your Facebook profile from your phone, your image should stay hi-res.
    Thanked by:

Any other thoughts on this -- same thing happened to me, I don't have Facebook or Twitter. It's happened to both my Me tile and all of my contacts with pictures (as far as I can tell). Not an absolute deal breaker, just makes the OS look really sloppy.

I thought if you have the actual photo on your phone it will be hi-res. I remember hearing this a while ago but it could totally be wrong.

I fixed this using the following steps:

1) Moved all my Google contacts to outlook.com.
    2) Set the profile pictures again from the photos stored on the phone.

Now they are really sharp and are not pixelated.

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ajua View Post
    I noticed this yesterday when I changed my Microsoft account picture on my Windows 8 laptop. The picture got pixelated on my 8X and on my main desktop computer with Windows 8.
    I think you're absolutely right -- Windows 8 seems to be downscaling the images when syncing. The other day I posted a profile picture from WP and it was perfect until I logged in to Windows 8 the next day, and the WP tile immediately got pixelated. Then I tried uploading the picture again from WP while still logged into Win8, and this time the tile pixelated in less than a minute.

I just updated my profile pic on Facebook but didn't update my hotmail profile. Picture is crisp. Very awesome. So far so good, see what happens later today.

dont know will work on 8 or not but i seen on my 7.8 that adding same picture in live and fb and then syncing both gives low resolution picture in me tile. but if i go to live and remove profile picture and then resynch both fb and live i get my crisp me pic back. i think its something associated with wp picking profile pic from live over fb and live downscaling pic somehow while sending to phone.

the same issue here on my Lumia 920. I recognized the issue 2 days ago :-( It seems Microsoft has changed Outlook /Live server settings.

Is the photo you're selecting already cropped? The only time I've ever seen my profile pic pixelated is if I substantially cropped it when I made it my profile pic. The subsequent compression of a cropped photo ends up looking pretty bad because the photo was already low resolution (cropped).

EDIT : Oh never mind - I see you're saying it goes from looking good to looking bad.

still the same issue since several days on my Lumia 920 :-(
    Last edited by joergi69; 12-24-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    anything new guys to fix this ?

Try clicking on the picture then select to update only Facebook. Don't select your hotmail account. I did that and I haven't had a problem since then.
    Yes, this trick does work!

Thanks for this!

So, the only thing we have to do is to upload a photo ONLY to Facebook (Hotmail has to be switched off)

Fixed it for me too. Thanks!

Global Posts
    235 Global Posts
    Any suggestions for ones who don't use Facebook?
    Jupast likes this.
    Tried to set a hi-res photo from PC, but got the same result. Still need to find a good solution that does not involve Facebook or other accounts

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    It's the most recent photo on whatever network you have be it your live mail or google or facebook. the only one that is clear at all that I have found is facebook so, change your profile picture on facebook and hit sync and it should change back. (thats what I did anyway after accidentally changing my live mail picture and it worked great)

Lumia 920

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Yes, definetly something related with Live Profile Picture. When I deleted the pic and sync my accounts I get my Hi-Res picture back.

Its because you are posting it to live too...it becomes heavily pixelated through live..so best thing you could do is post to live first and then Facebook...make sure to post your Facebook profile pic at the end and it will be fine...
    Thanked by:

thanks JoeDizzle33... Just posting the sequence of operation for others:
    click on me tile
    click on photo(it opens up update ur profile page) here, select sync FB account only
    click on photo again(it will open up ur photo albums.)
    Pick a photo and click on post.. it immediately changed my pic :D

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDizzle33 View Post
    Try clicking on the picture then select to update only Facebook. Don't select your hotmail account. I did that and I haven't had a problem since then.
    Thanks for this!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast