Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 33 of 33
Like Tree3Likes
  1. iamtim's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,189 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by fardream View Post
    does a user deserve an answer that is more than "sorry our app is not working"?
    If a user installs software that warns - on the very page from where the software is downloaded - that it might not work well in certain circumstances... no, they don't deserve an answer more than that. That user downloaded the software knowing full well that it might not work in those circumstances; if that users wants software that works reliably in those circumstances, that user shouldn't install the software which warns it doesn't!
  2. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtim View Post
    Really? A three month old thread?
    I rather have someone dig old threads that are relevant to the issue than open up a new rant thread!
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.


    Thanked by:
    rdubmu 
  3. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtim View Post
    If a user installs software that warns - on the very page from where the software is downloaded - that it might not work well in certain circumstances... no, they don't deserve an answer more than that. That user downloaded the software knowing full well that it might not work in those circumstances; if that users wants software that works reliably in those circumstances, that user shouldn't install the software which warns it doesn't!
    By that logic do we agree that we don't have Skype app on our platform? A full working version? But only a buggy beta?

    Which leads to a follow up - Microsoft's own Skype isn't on WP but is on all other platforms working fine and dandy. Now, I know I will be told, oh it's because messenger is being replaced and we will have integrated Skype blah blah - but that's our speculations. The communication is poor to say the least. A blog post from Microsoft outlining their plans for Skype on WP integrated or otherwise would suffice generally.
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.


    Thanked by:
    rdubmu 
  4. iamtim's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,189 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    I rather have someone dig old threads that are relevant to the issue than open up a new rant thread!
    I don't disagree. But ranting about an issue that was made apparent before the software was even downloaded? "OMG, I'm so pissed that this software I knew might not work doesn't work! GRR! ARGH!" *rolls eyes*
  5. iamtim's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,189 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    By that logic do we agree that we don't have Skype app on our platform? A full working version? But only a buggy beta?
    I can't agree with that. We DO have a Skype app on our platform and it DOES work. But it IS a buggy beta that does have problems in certain, well documented circumstances. So... no, no, yes. :)

    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    The communication is poor to say the least.
    That I will agree with and state further that poor communication seems to be endemic with Microsoft regarding the entire WP platform.
  6. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtim View Post
    I can't agree with that. We DO have a Skype app on our platform and it DOES work. But it IS a buggy beta that does have problems in certain, well documented circumstances. So... no, no, yes. :)



    That I will agree with and state further that poor communication seems to be endemic with Microsoft regarding the entire WP platform.
    A beta app generally isn't really an app. Beta app is NEVER meant to have a public release to start with in any software development cycle. The tradition dictates having beta testers - a small group of testers representative of the entire population in question to try out the app so that the bugs are easy to trace, manage and rectify. However, a public beta has been a trend that is widely accepted but I don't think a public beta of an app makes any sense! It should have made it to the public only after going into RC stages.
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.


  7. iamtim's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,189 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,361 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    A beta app generally isn't really an app.
    I agree with everything you said except this one minor point; if a beta app isn't an app, what is it? It conforms to the specs of an app in all ways except that the developers and users are expecting problems. I don't think that disqualifies it from app status. In fact, you even call it an app later in your post when you say, "...to try out the app so that the bugs..."

    Other than that, yeah, you're spot-on. "Public beta" seems like a contradiction in terms... I think that's why the term "preview" came into common parlance.
  8. Villain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    645 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #33  
    I really think MS has a lot in store for the next update... the way WP8 has been going doesn't make sense for MS.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

B