Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. khatta's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
       #1  
    Stuck with Photon 4Gs at Gingerbread, I decided to take the plunge to Windows Phone 8. I am pleasantly surprised by the fluid and responsive UI and a quality OS under the hood. Nokia Lumia 920, though little bulky, is a very good device.

    I ran a comparison of apps that I will miss due to this switch and came up with this list. I used 'Zemna AppList Backup' on Android and imported the resulting file into Excel. I then rated the useability of each app (Disclaimer: as it relates to me only) and came up with the attached result. Ofcourse, FlipBoard, Instagram and Google Drive are the heavy hitters. But, this might also result in I being less productive on the tech front -- which is perfectly fine :-)
  2. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #2  
    You could just try this app. You'll probably find there are more alternatives than you think! :)

    Welcome Home to Windows Phone
  3. MikadoWu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    60 Posts
    #3  
    Ok So I am assume like me you left Sprint for ATT, since Sprint does not have any WP8 devices and you are not trolling.....

    Ok so many of your Apps are Google Related. Start using SkyDrive. It is 10 times better. Combined with Windows 8, many headaches are gone.

    SKype is in Beta, and you are get if now if you want.

    Drive and Google Maps, inferior to the Nokia. Just try them.

    For your Taximagic try Nokia Transit

    The Banking and Airline Apps will come... USAA is already there for me.
  4. prissysox's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    978 Global Posts
    #4  
    I came from a HOX. I miss Ringo Pro the most
  5. khatta's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikadoWu View Post
    Ok So I am assume like me you left Sprint for ATT, since Sprint does not have any WP8 devices and you are not trolling.....

    Ok so many of your Apps are Google Related. Start using SkyDrive. It is 10 times better. Combined with Windows 8, many headaches are gone.

    SKype is in Beta, and you are get if now if you want.

    Drive and Google Maps, inferior to the Nokia. Just try them.

    For your Taximagic try Nokia Transit

    The Banking and Airline Apps will come... USAA is already there for me.
    That is correct. I waited for Sprint to carry a decent Windows Phone for almost 2 years and they still aren't there. Photon was my stop-gap device, and now that ICS/JB upgrade is killed, the device has hit its lifespan for me.

    I updated my list that Skype is now out.

    Nokia Transit won't allow me to reserve a cab. I haven't found a useful compareable app to it yet. But, I can live without it for now. :-)

    I am a heavy Google Apps users, so Google docs integration with Google+ is a big hit. But, I will just spend a little more time off my handset because on this. Good move probably. :D

    Keeping my fingers crossed for mint.com.

    Thanks !
  6. wpoblation's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #6  
    Mint - Will PageOnce be a viable alternative?

    What do you mean by "3"-"Nice to Have. Will Miss them". Does that mean that the app is not available, but you won't miss it? YouTube is one of the apps.
  7. n3rfh3rd3r's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    545 Posts
    Global Posts
    691 Global Posts
    #7  
    They honestly need to port YNAB to Windows Phone, which is light years ahead of what you can do with Mint. Pageonce is a good alternative if you just want to keep track of spending and get bill reminders.

    Right now I'm working on moving my files from Dropbox over to Skydrive. I'll miss the 135GB of storage that I have with them, most of which is free, but I've had my issues with the service and two or more members of their support staff over the last six months to not make it tempting to keep my services with them.

    When as a mobile user you can integrate OneNote and other Office apps in with Skydrive and actively edit and update files you use personally and professionally the benefts of Windows Phone really do come to the forefront. You aren't going to get that seamless transition with Android - Drive on Android still links you to Docs for online editing. I'm all for cloud services - I use them and support them monetarily - but if you aren't connected you need a fully featured desktop or mobile client that can work off the network.
  8. n3rfh3rd3r's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    545 Posts
    Global Posts
    691 Global Posts
    #8  
    Wait - how many apps did you have installed on your phone??????

    Yikes!
  9. snaqvi91's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    386 Posts
    Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by MikadoWu View Post
    Drive and Google Maps, inferior to the Nokia. Just try them.
    How are they inferior? Nokia Transport doesn't have transit directions for my city, while Google Maps does.
  10. khatta's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by wpoblation View Post
    Mint - Will PageOnce be a viable alternative?

    What do you mean by "3"-"Nice to Have. Will Miss them". Does that mean that the app is not available, but you won't miss it? YouTube is one of the apps.
    I am heavily hooked to mint since they launched. I think a WP app is in making and should be out soon.

    3 refers to apps that would be 'nice to have' but not a drag for me to switch to another eco-system. Some apps does have alternatives on WP8 and some don't. I am also just fine with those not on my phone anymore.
  11. wenogg's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    51 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by khatta View Post
    I am heavily hooked to mint since they launched. I think a WP app is in making and should be out soon.

    3 refers to apps that would be 'nice to have' but not a drag for me to switch to another eco-system. Some apps does have alternatives on WP8 and some don't. I am also just fine with those not on my phone anymore.
    I am running a beta for a 3rd party Mint app called Money Thyme. The details:
    http://forums.wpcentral.com/develope...ing/199603.htm
  12. khatta's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by wenogg View Post
    I am running a beta for a 3rd party Mint app called Money Thyme. The details:
    http://forums.wpcentral.com/develope...ing/199603.htm
    The App looks good. I believe there is also a native mint app under development by Mint. Any clues on that ?

    Thanks !
  13. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #13  
    You can replace TaxiMagic with Uber Towncar, if you live in an area with Uber service.
  14. khatta's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by wamsille View Post
    They honestly need to port YNAB to Windows Phone, which is light years ahead of what you can do with Mint. Pageonce is a good alternative if you just want to keep track of spending and get bill reminders.

    Right now I'm working on moving my files from Dropbox over to Skydrive. I'll miss the 135GB of storage that I have with them, most of which is free, but I've had my issues with the service and two or more members of their support staff over the last six months to not make it tempting to keep my services with them.

    When as a mobile user you can integrate OneNote and other Office apps in with Skydrive and actively edit and update files you use personally and professionally the benefts of Windows Phone really do come to the forefront. You aren't going to get that seamless transition with Android - Drive on Android still links you to Docs for online editing. I'm all for cloud services - I use them and support them monetarily - but if you aren't connected you need a fully featured desktop or mobile client that can work off the network.
    In my opinion, the mobile devices are still a companion device to a PC/Laptop. I used Drive on Android and worked on some documents, but honestly, the experience wasn't that great. I would usually switch to a PC for more detailed work. Windows office apps actually work surprisingly great with better editing experience compared to Drive.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

B