- 11-10-2012, 09:11 PM #1
I'm new to WP8, from Android. I just got the 920! Great phone. I love WP8, but a few things seems more tedious than with using Android, with HTC Sense. I don't want to get into any arguments about whether Android skins are good or not. I'm really looking to better understand the great WP8 OS!
- In HTC Sense, I could select text and a fly-in button menu comes up allowing me to search the web, cut, copy, et . Does WP8 have the ability to quickly select text and send that text selection to a Bing, Maps, or other search? This is really helpful if I need directions from an address in email or from the web. (No way to select text message text yet in WP8)
- When I transfer a file via Bluetooth, where does it go?
- Is it possible to click on a phone number in text and call that number automatically, or have it pasted into the phone app? (This is sort of related to the functionality from the first question.)
- I'm having trouble understanding how to select text. Whole words are easy, but part of a word or inserting the character into the middle of a word is not clear to me. How do I do this?
I'm sure more will follow. Thanks to all those WP veterans to help out us newbies!
11-10-2012, 09:28 PM #2
- 5,247 Posts
In Internet Explorer you can select any text the tap the magnifying glass to start a web search. This only works in IE for text. If an address appears anywhere email, IE where ever it will be underlined tap the address will open maps. Same goes for phone numbers they will be underlined tap to open the phone dialog to either save the number or make the call.
I haven't tried Bluetooth transfer yet all my other devices are WP7 don't have that capability. I will trey when I get close to another device with BT transfer capabilities.
When you are typing in a text box tap and hold in the text box will bring up a curser you can then move your finer around on the screen to put the curser anywhere in the text box.
I hope that helps and Welcome to the WPC were glad you could join us.
- 11-11-2012, 10:25 AM #3
Those features are great in IE and Mail. I'd like for those search and hyperlink address and phone options to be extended to any selectable text. Maybe an update will bring that someday.
- I understood about pressing in the text box. However I can't quite master selection of the exact text I want. Whole words are easy. Selecting portions of words or inserting the cursor into the middle of a word is challenging. If there are any tips on that, I'd appreciate it.
- Is there a way to open an InPrivate tab in IE10 on WP8? It seems like there should be a way to.
I also found that photos transferred via Bluetooth end up in an album called 'Saved Pictures'. I'm not sure where other types of files, transferred via Bluetooth end up. I'll have to test it out.
Last edited by wpcautobot; 11-11-2012 at 11:00 AM.
11-11-2012, 11:16 AM #4
- 50 Posts
sorry to add my own question to this list, but I don't want to start a new thread.
Is there a way to seek through a song, or music file?
This is frustrating, especially for long tracks, I don't know how to seek to a further position. Like in ios you drag the little knob. I'd hope there is a way to do this in xbox music or anywhere in WP8
- 11-11-2012, 11:38 AM #5
When you are playing a playing a song, press and hold on the 'next' button. It will seek through the song.
Another question about Xbox music... how do you synch downloaded music between devices? I have the devices added to the account, but downloads are only seen on the one they were downloaded to. And, how do I get to all my SmartDJs?
Also, I thought that if you were playing a song on the cloud and paused it, you could pick up where you left off on the other device (Surface RT). I don't see this ability.
Last edited by wpcautobot; 11-11-2012 at 01:18 PM.