Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. dgr_874's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    287 Posts
       #1  
    I bought a new Lumia 920 and put in my outlook.com address to sync all my data. It started syncing and then told me that it could not finish because I have reached my device limit for my Microsoft account. I tried deleting any and all devices that I could find and it still does not work. I even contacted Microsoft help and they don't seem to have a clue other than elevating it and getting a response back to me in 3-5 days. Anyone else have this problem and if so, how did you end up fixing it?
  2. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #2  
    This is a killer problem, and I cannot believe Microsoft hasn't made a simple fix available yet.

    I solved this by having my Windows Phone list of devices deleted. You can do it pretty much instantly by chatting with one of the reps via their online chat system. Just tell them you want all devices on your Windows Phone Marketplace/Store account deleted, and they should be able to reset it for you immediately.

    I cannot believe they haven't yet developed a consumer-facing solution to this serious problem. Get with it, Microsoft!
  3. dgr_874's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    287 Posts
       #3  
    I tried that twice last night and both times I was told that the tech didn't have access and it would be elevated and take 3 to 5 working days to fix. What a joke, I'm about ready to go back to my iPhone.
  4. TechyMexican's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    103 Posts
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    #4  
    I am having the same issue. I am very disappointed :/

Posting Permissions

B