Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Johnnycat13

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    First off let me say I'm loving the phone. Solid as a rock,amazing screen, camera is great etc etc. Pretty much makes the iPhone 4 I'm coming from seem like it was made by Fisher Price.

However two things have stood out that annoy/confuse me. First is the capacitive buttons stay lit up when watching movies on the phone. Kind of annoying to be trying to watch a dark scene while in the dark with three white (ish) lights shining in your eyes. I tweeted Nokia about it and they said there was no way to disable it, but would look into it. Secondly there seems to be no way to close multitasking windows short of hitting the back button several hundred times. I think that may be my apple habits tho where I just hit the Windows button to quit an app rather than the back button to exit it.

Also in regards to weight the 920 naked (as it should be) weighs the same as my ip4 did with a griffin cover on it. Just cracks me up how big a deal is being made over the weight of a box of raisins.

Oh and hi by the way! Have been lurking since I started eyeing up the 920 but this is my first post.
    banjaboo and Klevis like this.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Welcome to WPCentral! Didn't know about those buttons staying lit during video playback. Closing apps is a highly debated topic here on the forums; some people feel we should be able to close them, others do not feel that way. Multitasking is a Windows Phone issue and not a Lumia 920 issue, in case you were wondering.

Global Posts
    2,081 Global Posts
    You know, before the Lumia 900's capacitive buttons would dim after several seconds, and if you touched the screen again, they'd light up again. A lot of people didn't like that, they wanted it to be on whenever the screen was on. Nokia changed it in the firmware update so now they stay lit whenever the screen is on.

So maybe Nokia can change it so they dim during video playback?
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCat13 View Post
    Secondly there seems to be no way to close multitasking windows short of hitting the back button several hundred times. I think that may be my apple habits tho where I just hit the Windows button to quit an app rather than the back button to exit it.
    The other apps aren't multi-tasking, they're multi-loading. That is, they are in memory, but not doing anything with the CPU, radios, or battery. If the memory is needed, Windows Phone will unload them from memory. The only reason to "close" them is to get them out of the recently used apps list/back stack.

That said, you can unload an app by holding the back key until the loaded apps list shows, swiping over to your app, then pressing back until the app exits to show the Start screen or a different app. Since most apps aren't very deep, you shouldn't have to press the back key more than about 3 times. Still, doing this isn't needed by the OS or for good battery life -- it is solely for you wanting to remove an app from the back stack.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Ah gotcha. Wasn't sure if I was hogging resources having them all on the list. Thanks for the clarification! :)

One other question for the experienced Windows Phone users. Anyway of setting a home page for internet explorer? I'm concerned about starting it at work and having some NSFW page sitting there from two days earlier.

Good looking out on light issue! I am planning on purchasing a Lumia 920 as well when my contract is up next month and one of the primary uses will be to watch videos. The "always on" buttons will be a slight distraction to me personally. I'm sure people can get use to it but it would be awesome if this behavior can be changed in the future.

Lock than unlock your phone and resume movie. dont use the buttons and they stay black. y does nobody know this yet? Best phone ever 920!!!

Here's a great tip for everyone using Windows Phone:

Stop worrying about the task switcher screen and the "open" applications in there.

Seriously. You'll do yourself a favor. After you stop caring about this you'll feel much more happier about using your Windows Phone. In Windows Phone, an open application does not use system resources while it's in the background. Because of this way of handling the multitasking, you don't have to worry about if there are open applications in the background or not. It's pointless to try to micromanage open applications at the same level like for example Android enables/requires/forces you to do.

Instead of considering applications in the task switcher as open applications, try to think them more of a history page of your recent apps. As a way to reach some place where you recently were.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaichuke View Post
    Here's a great tip for everyone using Windows Phone:

Stop worrying about the task switcher screen and the "open" applications in there.

Whatever... once you get a bunch of open apps, the task switcher list gets "wide" and it becomes tedious to switch apps via the task switcher. If you instead just keep relaunching, over time you can end up with dozens and dozens of instances of the same app running. It does matter.

-E

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCat13 View Post
    One other question for the experienced Windows Phone users. Anyway of setting a home page for internet explorer? I'm concerned about starting it at work and having some NSFW page sitting there from two days earlier.
    This HAS happened to me but luckily with no one around. The thing is, if you don't back out of IE, then the next time you go to it it will be on the last page you were viewing. So you either remember to close your pages, or exit IE by backing out until the Start screen.

Quote Originally Posted by E Lizzle View Post
    Whatever... once you get a bunch of open apps, the task switcher list gets "wide" and it becomes tedious to switch apps via the task switcher. If you instead just keep relaunching, over time you can end up with dozens and dozens of instances of the same app running. It does matter.

-E
    An app is only allowed to run one instance of itself, and you'll never get "dozens of instances of the same app running". I have no idea where you got that idea from, but it's not correct.

Quote Originally Posted by JMBasquiat View Post
    An app is only allowed to run one instance of itself, and you'll never get "dozens of instances of the same app running". I have no idea where you got that idea from, but it's not correct.
    You're right, the new instance replaces the existing image. I just lost the right to participate in this debate.

-E

Quote Originally Posted by Isolated1 View Post
    Good looking out on light issue! I am planning on purchasing a Lumia 920 as well when my contract is up next month and one of the primary uses will be to watch videos. The "always on" buttons will be a slight distraction to me personally. I'm sure people can get use to it but it would be awesome if this behavior can be changed in the future.
    Nokia clearly has the ability to switch them on and off, so I assume if they want to they can add some options around these lights. Not seen any indication they can dim them though, which would be nice at night.

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    I have had many instances where I have had two messaging screen or two email screens happens quite a lot.