Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree8Likes
  1. mikejets89's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    78 Posts
       #1  
    I have an upgrade so next week 8x or should I wait for Samsung.
  2. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #2  
    Samsung hasn't confirmed ATIV for T-Mo, so if you want a phone, I'd go for the 8X.
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  
    It's up to you, of course. Me? I'm getting the Lumia 810. I was considering an HTC WP8 device until I was told about various issues with the brand. Samsung? Never.
    aubreyq likes this.
  4. mikejets89's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    78 Posts
       #4  
    Ya same hear that 8x was having issues also heard about the peeling does 810 support 4g
    metalchick719 likes this.
  5. Agent-P's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    184 Posts
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    #5  
    As of yet, Samsung hasn't said anything about carrier availability for the Ativ. All we know is Verizon will get a version of it in December.

    Also, I've owned two HTC devices (HD2 and Radar) and I haven't had an issue with either of them. So either I was super lucky or people are making a bigger deal out of small stuff with their HTC phones (I have no idea which is true, I just know I haven't had problems with HTC).
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikejets89 View Post
    Ya same hear that 8x was having issues also heard about the peeling does 810 support 4g
    Yes, from what I've read, the 810 does support T-Mobile's 4G.
  7. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #7  
    810 will support 4G, but keep in mind it has a low-res screen (800 x 480) like last-generation WP7.5 devices. The 8X has an HD screen.
    Thanked by:
    Winterfang likes this.
  8. Winterfang's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,541 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    #8  
    Keep in mind that the 810 has a low res screen and is the worst looking phone of 2012. I'll wait for the ATIV if I where you.
  9. justinl111's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by metalchick719 View Post
    It's up to you, of course. Me? I'm getting the Lumia 810. I was considering an HTC WP8 device until I was told about various issues with the brand. Samsung? Never.
    Various issues, I take it thats a few people who have posted on these forums. I know 3 people using the 8X and all of them have been working perfectly. No peeling, no reboots, battery life getting better by the day. Remember it's usually just the minority of posters who have problems that will write about it, the unseen majority who have no issues will remain unseen :)
  10. jabtano's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    525 Posts
    #10  
    As of right now the Samsung ATIVs is not coming state side. It's up to you really high res screen super sleek device or a ugly low res screen with killer apps. for me it would have to be the 8x
  11. mikejets89's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    78 Posts
       #11  
    Ya im going to upgrade on black Friday damn my hd7 is on the dead side lol 2 year run.
  12. TJWINS's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    Keep in mind that the 810 has a low res screen and is the worst looking phone of 2012. I'll wait for the ATIV if I where you.
    I think the Lumia 810 is the best looking Lumia ever made and WPCentral polls show that the Lumia 810 looks better than the Lumia 820 and it definitely looks better than the Lumia 822. I don't know what your problem is winterfang but you have some attitude issues you need to address. Honestly, I wonder if there is any phone you like, ever liked, or will ever like. I still don't know why the moderators keep you around. I would have given you the boot a long time ago. You are the most negative person I have ever seen on any forum and I belong to quite a few.
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq likes this.
  13. jlangner's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJWINS View Post
    I think the Lumia 810 is the best looking Lumia ever made and WPCentral polls show that the Lumia 810 looks better than the Lumia 820 and it definitely looks better than the Lumia 822. I don't know what your problem is winterfang but you have some attitude issues you need to address. Honestly, I wonder if there is any phone you like, ever liked, or will ever like. I still don't know why the moderators keep you around. I would have given you the boot a long time ago. You are the most negative person I have ever seen on any forum and I belong to quite a few.
    It is a fact that it has the worst screen resolution of the W8. As far as look, I like it, but Ill go 8x.
  14. KLinCHI's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    55 Posts
    #14  
    Is the screen on the 810 really bad, though? Sure it's not HD, but it's the same screen as the Lumia 900, and I thought reviewers and users generally liked the screen on the 900.
  15. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #15  
    The 810's screen isn't polarized like the 900's, but it's probably going to be a decent screen. "Good enough," to be sure, but you might feel bad if you compare it with a friend's 8X or 920 (sorta like the new good enough car I just bought). :D
  16. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    566 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,720 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by KLinCHI View Post
    Is the screen on the 810 really bad, though? Sure it's not HD, but it's the same screen as the Lumia 900, and I thought reviewers and users generally liked the screen on the 900.
    Sure but that was then, this is now - why go with last year's screen when buying a device you might use for a couple of years?
  17. TJWINS's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    The 810's screen isn't polarized like the 900's, but it's probably going to be a decent screen. "Good enough," to be sure, but you might feel bad if you compare it with a friend's 8X or 920 (sorta like the new good enough car I just bought). :D
    Nokia's spec page clearly shows polarization filter. I was at an AT&T store this morning comparing the 820 and the 920 and although the 920 did have higher resolution you really have to stare at it to notice the improvement. I was totally unimpressed with the screen on the 920. It did not look as impressive as the HTC One X. Side by side I found the 820 display more pleasing to look at overall. It had vibrant punchy colors and it is way brighter than the 920 at the same brightness. The 920 looked very dark even at the highest setting but don't take my word for it. Go to your local AT&T store and see for yourself. I want to remind you that I am a current AT&T customer, I am eligible for upgrade, and I can afford anything I want and I will not be getting the 920. I will be switching to T-Mobile to get the 810 and today's display comparison made my mind up for me. The display on the 820 was beautiful, vibrant, punchy, and bright with no noticable pixellation. I think it's my preference for AMOLED screens over LCD that made me enjoy the overall experience. Remember the 810/820 have RGB Stripe screens not PenTile so that is why I couldn't notice any pixellation. This morning the 820 looked almost HD to me. Go to AT&T and see for yourself. Don't purchase on specs purchase on experience.
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq and nwildcat like this.
  18. brmiller1976's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,092 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJWINS View Post
    I was totally unimpressed with the screen on the 920. It did not look as impressive as the HTC One X. Side by side I found the 820 display more pleasing to look at overall.
    This is very interesting. I'm doing a comparo of the 920 and 8X, so I'll let you know what I think of the screen clarity on both.
  19. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJWINS View Post
    Nokia's spec page clearly shows polarization filter. I was at an AT&T store this morning comparing the 820 and the 920 and although the 920 did have higher resolution you really have to stare at it to notice the improvement. I was totally unimpressed with the screen on the 920. It did not look as impressive as the HTC One X. Side by side I found the 820 display more pleasing to look at overall. It had vibrant punchy colors and it is way brighter than the 920 at the same brightness. The 920 looked very dark even at the highest setting but don't take my word for it. Go to your local AT&T store and see for yourself. I want to remind you that I am a current AT&T customer, I am eligible for upgrade, and I can afford anything I want and I will not be getting the 920. I will be switching to T-Mobile to get the 810 and today's display comparison made my mind up for me. The display on the 820 was beautiful, vibrant, punchy, and bright with no noticable pixellation. I think it's my preference for AMOLED screens over LCD that made me enjoy the overall experience. Remember the 810/820 have RGB Stripe screens not PenTile so that is why I couldn't notice any pixellation. This morning the 820 looked almost HD to me. Go to AT&T and see for yourself. Don't purchase on specs purchase on experience.
    Thank you for this post. I'm in the same situation: on AT&T eligible for upgrade. I also want to compare the 920 and the 820. I'm attracted to the 820 because of its removable battery and expandable storage, and attracted to the 920 due to its camera (I can live without wireless charging). The 32GB on the 920 is cool but that comes down to 26GB usable storage or so. I also entertained the idea that if I went with the 820 then maybe I could switch to T-Mo to get the 810 if my family plan comes out cheaper.

    My question to you: Why did you switch to T-Mobile?
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by justinl111 View Post
    Various issues, I take it thats a few people who have posted on these forums. I know 3 people using the 8X and all of them have been working perfectly. No peeling, no reboots, battery life getting better by the day. Remember it's usually just the minority of posters who have problems that will write about it, the unseen majority who have no issues will remain unseen :)
    Actually, I know others who aren't part of this forum who have had issues with their HTC phones. My decision to avoid HTC was based on that, but issues that have been coming out about the 8X definitely don't sway me. Plus, I have always had Nokia phones with the exception of my iPhone 4, and I'm fond of the brand. Never had issues with any of them.
    aubreyq likes this.
  21. TJWINS's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    Thank you for this post. I'm in the same situation: on AT&T eligible for upgrade. I also want to compare the 920 and the 820. I'm attracted to the 820 because of its removable battery and expandable storage, and attracted to the 920 due to its camera (I can live without wireless charging). The 32GB on the 920 is cool but that comes down to 26GB usable storage or so. I also entertained the idea that if I went with the 820 then maybe I could switch to T-Mo to get the 810 if my family plan comes out cheaper.

    My question to you: Why did you switch to T-Mobile?
    You're welcome. To answer your question....

    1) I want a WP8 phone and I want a Nokia for the exclusive apps.

    2) The Lumia 810 is the best looking Nokia to me and is the perfect size.

    3) ATT currently gives me 21.1 mbps HSPA+ while T-Mobile gives me 42.2 mbps HSPA+

    4) T-Mobile has better and less expensive data plans.

    5) T-Mobile has better customer service than AT&T.

    6) I don't like the Lumia 920

    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by TJWINS; 11-09-2012 at 03:18 PM.
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq likes this.
  22. mikejets89's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    78 Posts
       #22  
    No att had HTC 8x today wtf can't wait for next week tmo 8x
  23. KLinCHI's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    55 Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgk View Post
    Sure but that was then, this is now - why go with last year's screen when buying a device you might use for a couple of years?
    True, but the 810/820/822 are mid-tier phones, so one can't expect them to have the best of everything. Thing is, they have the same screen as last year's (or rather, earlier this year's) top device, and that's fine by me. It could have been worse and they could have slapped on the 710's WVGA screen. ;)

    Or it could be that being on T-Mobile, I'm used to them not typically carrying top-tiered devices and go, "Eh..." when T-Mo misses the high end phones. :D Don't get me wrong, cause I would love to have the 920. But if my carrier doesn't have it, there's not a whole lot I can do about it. And rather than spend $600-$700 for the off contract version, I'd rather use the money on something else, like the Surface Pro! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    ...The 32GB on the 920 is cool but that comes down to 26GB usable storage or so...
    Hrm...does this mean the 810 will be left with only 2GB of onboard memory? That's not a lot of space for apps. And last I checked, apps can't be installed on the microSD card. Or can they?
    Last edited by KLinCHI; 11-09-2012 at 06:20 PM.
  24. TJWINS's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by KLinCHI View Post
    True, but the 810/820/822 are mid-tier phones, so one can't expect them to have the best of everything. Thing is, they have the same screen as last year's (or rather, earlier this year's) top device, and that's fine by me. It could have been worse and they could have slapped on the 710's WVGA screen. ;)

    Or it could be that being on T-Mobile, I'm used to them not typically carrying top-tiered devices and go, "Eh..." when T-Mo misses the high end phones. :D Don't get me wrong, cause I would love to have the 920. But if my carrier doesn't have it, there's not a whole lot I can do about it. And rather than spend $600-$700 for the off contract version, I'd rather use the money on something else, like the Surface Pro! :)

    Hrm...does this mean the 810 will be left with only 2GB of onboard memory? That's not a lot of space for apps. And last I checked, apps can't be installed on the microSD card. Or can they?
    I think aubreyq meant 26GB for storage and 6GB for apps. No you can't install apps on SD card but if you stored all of your files on a 64GB SD card and let the apps run on the internal 8GB memory you will never run out of internal memory. 1GB RAM, 8GB internal storage, and 64GB external storage should keep even the most demanding user happy.
  25. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJWINS View Post
    You're welcome. To answer your question....

    1) I want a WP8 phone and I want a Nokia for the exclusive apps.

    2) The Lumia 810 is the best looking Nokia to me and is the perfect size.

    3) ATT currently gives me 21.1 mbps HSPA+ while T-Mobile gives me 42.2 mbps HSPA+

    4) T-Mobile has better and less expensive data plans.

    5) T-Mobile has better customer service than AT&T.

    6) I don't like the Lumia 920

    Hope that helps.
    Thanks again, man.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B