Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. CJ Thunder's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    552 Posts
       #1  
    I have seen this option touched upon but not really torn asunder (I know what the options say), but in reality how good is the built in back up and restore function of WP8?

    Does it remember Start screen locations?
    Does it install apps and set them up?
    Mail Accounts? FB account? Contact Linking?

    Can you do the above on a new phone (different make/model)? Multiple phones?

    How long does it take to backup? How long does it take to do a restore? Wifi? Cell? USB? Is this done in the background? Can it be forced?

    Does this take up room on SkyDrive?
    Can you backup your back up?




    So many questions...
  2. CJ Thunder's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    552 Posts
       #2  
    Really? No one has done an in depth on the number one requested feature!?!?
  3. Landsharkk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    280 Posts
    #3  
    It's a very good question, but I think it's too early to ask.

    Maybe someone with a windows 8 phone can help answer though.
  4. KingCrimson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    631 Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Thunder View Post
    I have seen this option touched upon but not really torn asunder (I know what the options say), but in reality how good is the built in back up and restore function of WP8?

    Does it remember Start screen locations?
    Does it install apps and set them up?
    Mail Accounts? FB account? Contact Linking?

    Can you do the above on a new phone (different make/model)? Multiple phones?

    How long does it take to backup? How long does it take to do a restore? Wifi? Cell? USB? Is this done in the background? Can it be forced?

    Does this take up room on SkyDrive?
    Can you backup your back up?




    So many questions...
    All great questions, where is the Microsoft FAQ?
  5. TaliZorah's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    623 Posts
    Global Posts
    671 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Thunder View Post
    Really? No one has done an in depth on the number one requested feature!?!?
    Give it time. If this is a big concern for you at least wait until the OS is available world-wide and people are blogging / making video's about it.
  6. KingCrimson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    631 Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by TaliZorah View Post
    Give it time. If this is a big concern for you at least wait until the OS is available world-wide and people are blogging / making video's about it.
    The irritating thing is that when Apple comes out with a feature like this, they EMBLAZON it on their iOS website for all to see. Yet I go to the WP8 website and nada.
  7. #7  
    Thanked by:
    jfa1 
  8. smoledman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    982 Global Posts
    #8  
    From the official Windows Phone site:

    Back up my stuff
    Restore a backup to my phone

    Awesome, but why not include screenshots?
    Thanked by:
    jfa1 
  9. TaliZorah's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    623 Posts
    Global Posts
    671 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCrimson View Post
    The irritating thing is that when Apple comes out with a feature like this, they EMBLAZON it on their iOS website for all to see. Yet I go to the WP8 website and nada.
    I guess fanbase may have something to do with it... maybe...
  10. CJ Thunder's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    552 Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Muessig View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
    From the official Windows Phone site:

    Back up my stuff
    Restore a backup to my phone

    Awesome, but why not include screenshots?
    The Windows Phone site is so basic.

    It says go to app list to reinstall apps, is it a shadow/placeholder that takes you to the store?

    Other stuff doesn't answer much else.
  11. KingCrimson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    631 Posts
    #11  
    Look at the Apple site:

    Apple - iCloud - Learn how to set up iCloud on all your devices.

    They even show you the screenshot of where you go to Backup/Restore.
  12. #12  
    I am simultaneously excited and fearful to know the answer to this. I've been through several new phones/replacements on WP7 and resets and the backup/restoration process (or lack thereof) was a study in failed UX and poor customer service.

    Eta: Paul's article gives me hope. I would like to know more about games and app settings. I know some apps use SkyDrive...
    By design...

    @ebopeep
  13. Dos101's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    397 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #13  
    Due to my battery issues (see this thread http://forums.wpcentral.com/lumia-920/201096.htm) I will be restoring my phone and can report back my findings. Question though, to restore, is the only option to reset your phone (under About Phone in settings) or is there a way to actually re-install the OS?

    EDIT:

    Ok, I did the restore after making sure everything was backed up.

    Couple things to point out first:

    - Your phone will get hot from all the downloading it will be doing
    - Make sure it is plugged in and charging as to not drain your battery


    The Restore was straight forward. Go to Settings -> about -> reset your phone
    Some gears will appear on your screen for 5-10 minutes (depending on how much stuff is on your phone). Once it's finished the setup process begins. You are prompted to log in with your Microsoft account, and once you do you can either select to use a previous restore (it shows the time/date/phone model) or set up as a new phone. Once you select your restore it starts downloading your data. A progress bar appears on the screen and once finished, it prompts you to input the passwords for the accounts on your phone (Facebook, email, etc.) then the home screen appears and the phone starts downloading all your previously installed apps. I connected to wifi to speed up the process.

    So, what gets backed up?
    - Text messages
    - Accounts (though you are prompted to input passwords before you get to the home screen)
    - Sounds settings and selections (not the ringtone though)
    - Phone history
    - Theme colour
    - Lock screen picture and settings
    - Pictures/Music saved on your SkyDrive
    - Internet Explorer favourites

    That's it. Yup, that's everything of mine that it restored.

    So, what doesn't it backup?
    - Wifi networks
    - Account passwords
    - Brightness settings
    - Keyboard settings
    - Background Tasks settings
    - Home screen tile layout
    - Wallet
    -Camera Roll (it is saved to your SkyDrive, but it does not populate the Camera Roll on your phone)

    I've also yet to encounter an app that saves settings on SkyDrive, so here is a list of apps that I needed to configure all over again
    - Accuweather (and Microsoft Weather, I'm sure all weather apps are like this)
    - Facebook
    - Twitter
    - Foursquare
    - Internet Explorer (it also put the stock favourites in with my own, ugh)
    - SkyDrive (yes, Microsoft's own SkyDrive app)
    - Flickr
    - Photos tile/background picture
    - Stock apps with updates do not get updated automatically when you app list is downloaded


    I'm still looking through my phone so I'll update my post if I find anything new. If you have any questions, specific things you'd like me to check, or if I left something, let me know.
    Last edited by Dos101; 11-08-2012 at 02:15 PM.
    Nokia Lumia 1520 RM-937 w/ 64GB MicroSD card
    Microsoft Surface 2 32GB w/ Type Cover 2

    Smartphone History: iPhone 3G 8GB -> iPhone 4 8GB -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Nexus S -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Lumia 900 -> Lumia 920 -> Lumia 1520

    My Blog: PixelWin

    http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4...25834/xboxone/

  14. Dos101's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    397 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #14  
    Forgot to add a timeline. Here's a rough estimate of how long it will take to backup/restore:

    Backup: 30s-5min depending on wifi/cell speed and how much data you have (mine took about a minute)
    Resetting Phone: 5 -10 minutes depending on how much music/docs/pics/video is stored on the phone (mine took 6 minutes)
    Restore: Depending on how much data is getting restored, this will take 5 - 10 minutes to complete (mine took 5 minutes)
    Downloading apps: Depending on how many apps you have, this can take anywhere from a 5 - 15 minutes (mine took 15 minutes, I have 808MB worth of apps)

    So best case, this whole process can take roughly 15 minutes. Worst case, 40 minutes. My backup/restore took roughly 27 minutes.

    Note that these are my own calculations based on my own findings of how quickly each step is based on what is involved. These are by no means official numbers. This is strictly a YMMV scenario.
    Last edited by Dos101; 11-08-2012 at 01:59 PM.
    Nokia Lumia 1520 RM-937 w/ 64GB MicroSD card
    Microsoft Surface 2 32GB w/ Type Cover 2

    Smartphone History: iPhone 3G 8GB -> iPhone 4 8GB -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Nexus S -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Lumia 900 -> Lumia 920 -> Lumia 1520

    My Blog: PixelWin

    http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4...25834/xboxone/

  15. smoledman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    982 Global Posts
    #15  
    So app settings being saved to SkyDrive is per-app opt-in?
  16. Dos101's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    397 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
    So app settings being saved to SkyDrive is per-app opt-in?
    Not sure. In fact, I don't even know if apps data is capable of being backed up with the built in Backup feature. I would assume the developer would need to let you select a location to save or backup data.

    Also, apps data being backed up doesn't appear to be a feature of the Backup utility Back up my stuff | Windows Phone How-to (United States)
    Nokia Lumia 1520 RM-937 w/ 64GB MicroSD card
    Microsoft Surface 2 32GB w/ Type Cover 2

    Smartphone History: iPhone 3G 8GB -> iPhone 4 8GB -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Nexus S -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Lumia 900 -> Lumia 920 -> Lumia 1520

    My Blog: PixelWin

    http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4...25834/xboxone/

  17. smoledman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    982 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos101 View Post
    Not sure. In fact, I don't even know if apps data is capable of being backed up with the built in Backup feature. I would assume the developer would need to let you select a location to save or backup data.

    Also, apps data being backed up doesn't appear to be a feature of the Backup utility Back up my stuff | Windows Phone How-to (United States)
    I got confused by Apps + Settings to mean App Settings. This is very disappointing as both iPhone + Android both have this very important feature.
  18. Dos101's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    397 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
    I got confused by Apps + Settings to mean App Settings. This is very disappointing as both iPhone + Android both have this very important feature.
    Ya I thought the same thing, not sure why Microsoft bundled them together in one option. I agree, it is a major oversight on their part, and will only frustrate users (why can they never get these little things right?)
    Nokia Lumia 1520 RM-937 w/ 64GB MicroSD card
    Microsoft Surface 2 32GB w/ Type Cover 2

    Smartphone History: iPhone 3G 8GB -> iPhone 4 8GB -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Nexus S -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Lumia 900 -> Lumia 920 -> Lumia 1520

    My Blog: PixelWin

    http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4...25834/xboxone/

  19. smoledman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    982 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos101 View Post
    Ya I thought the same thing, not sure why Microsoft bundled them together in one option. I agree, it is a major oversight on their part, and will only frustrate users (why can they never get these little things right?)
    This is why Microsoft continues to fail in the mobile space. They don't get the little details right.

    F.e.,

    * no media scrubbing on the music & video players
    * not saving app settings to SkyDrive
    * Bing Local Scout has horrible data
    * no notification center
    * no local search

    When people are out comparison shopping for smartphones they will not cut WP8 slack because it got going later compared to iOS/Android. They will simply see that iOS/Android have 10x more features and buy that.
  20. #20  
    Sigh. It doesn't save your home screen layout? That's a major oversight. As far as app data, the apps that save their data tend to be from smaller devs ime. For example board express, some financial and health apps, etc. I have to double check to see if they save settings. As far as how this might hook into wp8's back up and restore, I'm not sure. on wp7, you have to go into each app, enter your sjydrive credentials and restore, which can be quite tedious.
    By design...

    @ebopeep
  21. Dos101's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    397 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by electricbopeep View Post
    Sigh. It doesn't save your home screen layout? That's a major oversight. As far as app data, the apps that save their data tend to be from smaller devs ime. For example board express, some financial and health apps, etc. I have to double check to see if they save settings. As far as how this might hook into wp8's back up and restore, I'm not sure. on wp7, you have to go into each app, enter your sjydrive credentials and restore, which can be quite tedious.
    Nope, major bummer. I recommend everyone take screenshots of their layout before they restore (Power button + Windows Home button) which is what I did. I haven't checked all my apps yet, but so far no data for my apps was saved.
    Nokia Lumia 1520 RM-937 w/ 64GB MicroSD card
    Microsoft Surface 2 32GB w/ Type Cover 2

    Smartphone History: iPhone 3G 8GB -> iPhone 4 8GB -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Nexus S -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Lumia 900 -> Lumia 920 -> Lumia 1520

    My Blog: PixelWin

    http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4...25834/xboxone/

  22. CJ Thunder's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    552 Posts
       #22  
    Well there are always updates... How do they think business users will adopt if things like this are so tedious to do?
  23. KingCrimson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    631 Posts
    #23  
    We'll have to wait until WP9 to get features Android & iOS had 2 years ago.
  24. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos101 View Post
    Nope, major bummer. I recommend everyone take screenshots of their layout before they restore (Power button + Windows Home button) which is what I did. I haven't checked all my apps yet, but so far no data for my apps was saved.
    well there's a silver lining - screen shots. I remember when I had to reset my Samsung to install a memory card (remember that fiasco?!), I literally whipped out my camera and took pics of my start screen.

    I don't like being made to feel like a simp for supporting WP. Why cant Microsoft get their stuff together? They're well beyond the point where such oversights can be defended - this is a 2 yr old os and the personalized start screen layout is one of the most important features of wp8, even more so than wp7, perhaps.

    Thanks for detailing your experience, btw.
    By design...

    @ebopeep
  25. Dos101's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    397 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by electricbopeep View Post
    well there's a silver lining - screen shots. I remember when I had to reset my Samsung to install a memory card (remember that fiasco?!), I literally whipped out my camera and took pics of my start screen.

    I don't like being made to feel like a simp for supporting WP. Why cant Microsoft get their stuff together? They're well beyond the point where such oversights can be defended - this is a 2 yr old os and the personalized start screen layout is one of the most important features of wp8, even more so than wp7, perhaps.

    Thanks for detailing your experience, btw.
    Ya I did the same thing back when I jailbroke my iPhone. It's very strange how Microsoft thinks. Huge company, lots of money, undoubtedly smart people working there, yet they stumble on the simplest things. I hope this "good enough" approach is stopped very very soon. The time it takes to rearrange the start screen it far too long, not sure how regular joes and janes will put up with it.

    No problem, I was curious myself since I might be exchanging my 920 anyways :lol:
    Nokia Lumia 1520 RM-937 w/ 64GB MicroSD card
    Microsoft Surface 2 32GB w/ Type Cover 2

    Smartphone History: iPhone 3G 8GB -> iPhone 4 8GB -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Nexus S -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Lumia 900 -> Lumia 920 -> Lumia 1520

    My Blog: PixelWin

    http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4...25834/xboxone/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B