Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By aubreyq
  • 7 Post By stmav
  • 2 Post By Winterfang

My coworker just told me that his local Best Buy had dummy phones of the Nokia Lumia 920 and HTC 8x being displayed....he also mentioned that the employees doesn't know exact release date but the system doesn't show weather they have it in stock or not

So if anybody is interested, head over to your local Best Buy to feel the difference between the L920 and the 8x

I'm still getting the L920 just for the Nokia Drive and the camera

please post pictures or comments if you can verify it's at your local stores..I'll check my local store when I leave work today

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Do the "dummy" phones represent the actual weight of each?

Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    Do the "dummy" phones represent the actual weight of each?
    Nope. Had my hands on both actual Lumia 920 and a dummy 920, and the dummy felt a bit heavier. Compared both to my Optimus 7 and N900.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keizka View Post
    Nope. Had my hands on both actual Lumia 920 and a dummy 920, and the dummy felt a bit heavier. Compared both to my Optimus 7 and N900.
    How the heck they make the dummy heavier? LMAO!
    Thanked by:
    palandri and Winterfang like this.

I know huh? That's pretty dumb of them.

Okay... I have no idea WHY it's heavier. So it may not be dumb. But I had to say it... because I'm corny.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    That's why it's called the "dummy." The dummies make it so the dummy is heavier. :D

I seriously have no idea why it felt heavier, it just did. Didn't try all of them dummies there though, might've been one odd out.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    They put a quarter instead of 20 pennies in it.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I am totally photographing an L920 dummy with 20 pennies taped to it and a horrified look on my face.

But seriously, why do they still have those stupid dummy phones?!? Haven't they figured out that most people want to pick up, feel and use a real phone?

Though, a benefit to the dummy phones is that sometimes when you go into a Best Buy with your precocious 2 year old who loves to play with PHONES they may give you one of the old ones that aren't on display anymore.

Its how we ended up with some god awful slider dummy phone a couple months back when we upgraded my wife's phone.

Those dummy phones, though stupid, do make good kid's toys.
    Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
    God's work, our hands.
    Preaching the Gospel.
    Holding a Windows Phone.

The important question is why they have dummy phones but no pre order or availability date or pricing yet. What's the point of displaying them if they have no information about them?

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDizzle33 View Post
    The important question is why they have dummy phones but no pre order or availability date or pricing yet. What's the point of displaying them if they have no information about them?
    It's all part of the Brilliant Launch Strategy! Consumers will encounter the dummy units and stop all purchases until they're available. :D

Met with "What's?", I discovered the tag for the 920 put out with the existing 900 demo unit at my local BB. $149 on contract, $599 off. See attached.

I was told they have no inventory, but was offered a preorder with no ETA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wp_000020.jpg  

Global Posts
    1,419 Global Posts
    The fact that they put dummy units out just eats me up. I remember when Best Buy was all about actually using the products before you buy them. If someone doesn't know about the 920 or Windows Phone 8 there is NO WAY they buy the Lumia without using the OS/taking photos.

Quote Originally Posted by myonlyclone View Post
    Met with "What's?", I discovered the tag for the 920 put out with the existing 900 demo unit at my local BB. $149 on contract, $599 off. See attached.

I was told they have no inventory, but was offered a preorder with no ETA.
    Even more amusing is that that's Lumia 900 on the Lumia 920 slot...

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    I am totally photographing an L920 dummy with 20 pennies taped to it and a horrified look on my face.

But seriously, why do they still have those stupid dummy phones?!? Haven't they figured out that most people want to pick up, feel and use a real phone?
    The AT&T kiosk at my local walmart had a Titan 2 on display. It was sync with some guys account and it was full of tramps as contacts. Naked pictures (in poses that will make Ron Jeremy flinch) all over the People's hub. A total disaster.
    socialcarpet and mlm1950 like this.