Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    I think Microsoft needs to be proactive here and show some interest in fixing this as it is a bit of a downer on an otherwise great OS.
    - Dubstep, Reggae, Drum & Bass, Hip-Hop, Electronic, Breaks, Ska & more.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ditched my iPhone 4S for the HTC 8X... No regrets!

This is the one of the only things that disappoints me about WP8. I'm pretty anal about my organization too, and this is driving me crazy.

Also, I've tried matching info to the info in the store (album name, artist name, track name) and some songs will show up as being "in collection", but not all songs. Any ideas on how I can go about getting this to work?

I've tried using WMP and the Windows Connector for Mac, and neither seems to work right. Anyone have any ideas? Am I missing some metadata that causes my files to not show up as being "in collection"?

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LikeWaah View Post
    Also, I've tried matching info to the info in the store (album name, artist name, track name) and some songs will show up as being "in collection", but not all songs. Any ideas on how I can go about getting this to work?
    Same here and same results :mellow:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I too, am in the same boat. The only way I'm able to see any artwork, is if I allow the phone to connect with Xbox Music, which I refuse to do, as it only populates some of the artwork, and wrecks my album organization. This is nothing we're doing wrong. This is a half-baked music player that MS needs to address in a future update.

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Are the pictures .jpg? Mp3Tag lets you embed png too and maybe that doesn't work with windows phone?

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    So If you set your PC to show all hidden files and folders and then browse into the music folder on your Windows Phone you can see a folder called "Artist". In that folder are loads of files named after your music artists on your phone. Past and present by the looks of it. I cant find anyway of reading these files on my PC. I've tried everything from notepad to photoshop and no joy. I was hoping to be able to figure out what was in the file, reverse the process and import my own artwork. No joy though.

I spoke to a developer from the team responsible for the sync application and those hidden ser files are certainly important to your library data and also podcast integration/subscriptions (there might be a fix for us international users), however these files will always show up empty and with 0kb file size when browsing the device. He mentioned that one would have to adjust a few settings for the mtp connection in order to properly access those files - he didn't give any details though and I can't test it as I'm on a mac (no mtp support on OSX), but I might get back to him on that and set up a VM to test this.

Meanwhile if you have any configuration options for mtp connections (maybe third party tools?), go ahead and try. That said, your mtp connection decides if those ser files are readable or empty, not the files themselves.
    Thanked by:
    -Scienide- likes this.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    I'm not familiar with MTP tools to be honest but I'd love to try and crack it. Its driving me crazy. The files do indeed show up as empty with 0kb file sizes. I renamed one and it removed the artist from the "Artists" section of the player on the phone. So they are clearly connected in someway, but no idea how.

I've finally managed to get all my album art to show on my 820 on the sd card by turning off all the xbox settings before syncing in wmp as suggested in this forum. Now however my music randomly won't play displaying a windows error message for each file. I love the phone but the music system stinks!

Now all my music shows in the song collection but nothing in albums. At least they play but no art work and no album grouping. Its a shambles.

A solution to this would be appreciated. My library was so immaculate!
    Also do you know if the windows connector app to sync music from itunes to WP8 support incremental transferring? As in if I had 1 song to a playlist, will it transfer only that song?

The gray screen thing comes down to the artist picture, and has nothing to do with album art. So, that's easy enough to stop worrying about, luckily. As for the artist pictures, MS has always pulled those by linking the artist to their online database and the seeing if a picture is available. If you have music pass, this is easiest to trigger for any artist by just downloading anything from them. The device will recognize the artist is the same, lump them together and the pull down any available pictures. Once an artist has a picture, you can't get rid of it, but it will show up behind the Music app menus, in the Music tile, and on the lockscreen (if enabled) while the music is playing. If you don't have a pass, or you listen to a lot of music where the label hasn't provided an artist picture, you will need to use MPATool from the marketplace to add those. i just spent a holiday with the beta and it works a charm, will attempt to autofind pictures, ca pull from your saved photos, and has a button to do its best guess for all artists in your collection if you just want it done and don't care about picking your own shots. While possible you can use the ability to fill missing meta data ad trick MS into connecting your files to the artists in its DB, as you've noticed that pretty much doesn't work reliably, and I recommend ignoring it all together in favor of either the pass/download method or the MPATool.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zedmartinez View Post
    you will need to use MPATool from the marketplace to add those. i just spent a holiday with the beta and it works a charm, will attempt to autofind pictures, ca pull from your saved photos, and has a button to do its best guess for all artists in your collection if you just want it done and don't care about picking your own shots.
    Get this man a beer RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

You have just made my day. It works perfectly. Just updated all my missing artwork in about 2 minutes and it works beautifully with the live tile now. You sir, are a legend. Thank you!

Heh, glad I could help.

Quote Originally Posted by -Scienide- View Post
    Slightly off topic but how the **** do you jump to a certain point in a song? I can't figure it out. It just skips track or fast forwards.
    OMG I would love to know this too!! looks like it isn't possible though :( :(

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zokstar View Post
    OMG I would love to know this too!! looks like it isn't possible though :( :(
    I know, I can't understand why it's not possible. This is a standard feature surely? Is it patented or something? It's doing my head in lol

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by -Scienide- View Post
    Get this man a beer RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

You have just made my day. It works perfectly. Just updated all my missing artwork in about 2 minutes and it works beautifully with the live tile now. You sir, are a legend. Thank you!
    YES!

App is -exactly- what we needed! Well... except for one thing. It crashes like CRAZY on me. I'm working my way through one artist at a time and making progress, but I really wish it didn't crash as much.

Thank you!!

This has totally made my day! I'll have to rearrange my home screen to fit a large tile now.

Edit:

Actually, I'm having a problem with MPATool, maybe someone here can help me out.

I used Auto Download at first, but some of the photos aren't that great, so I went through setting a couple artists manually. But it didn't change the backgrounds.

I tried exiting the music player completely, then setting the artist. No dice.
    Any ideas on why?
    Last edited by LikeWaah; 11-28-2012 at 12:36 AM.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LikeWaah View Post
    Thank you!!

This has totally made my day! I'll have to rearrange my home screen to fit a large tile now.
    Now if only they would fix it so the Music tile shows artist pics even when nothing's playing like it did in WP7.

Excellent, thank you, that worked a treat.

I don't understand why it's so hard for things to be done correctly though. I use Media Monkey and have spent a lot of time getting things right, with all the correct album art, it should just work.

I had two problems this thread helped me fix. One was the missing album art (that's there on the PC) which is fixable with the MPAtool and the other was albums being split up, turning off the Xbox music sync fixed that. But we shouldn't have to jump through hoops, if the info is on the PC and we sync, it should stay like that and ASK before it starts splitting albums up. I had only got 5 of my 500+ albums over and two of them were split. These were mainstream run of the mill albums too!

Ah well, hopefully some one will write a better music player for WP8.

Thanks again for the tips.
    So for clarification...MPATool only sets the artist background for the phone?

But can also set the album art for the phone only?

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalWarrior View Post
    So for clarification...MPATool only sets the artist background for the phone?

But can also set the album art for the phone only?
    I just tried it and yes, it works on album art as well.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12