Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
Like Tree1Likes
  1. TGBmark1234's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hi,

    Any word on whether WP8 will properly support podcast downloading in the UK?

    MS deliberately removed this feature in WP7. This kind of makes me pleased useless T-Mobile haven't released any updates for my Omnia 7 in the last year - so I still have the partially working Mango podcast support.
  2. ctafield's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    31 Posts
    #2  
    Seems even worse now. I picked up an 8X yesterday... The situation is now:

    - There's a podcasts option in the Music hub, which says to get stuff from the store.
    - There are no podcasts on the store.
    - You cannot subscribe to podcasts from the WP8 app in Windows 8.

    So... unless I'm missing it, you cannot subscribe to podcasts without using third party apps if you're in the UK. GREAT SUCCESS! :\
  3. agolding's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ctafield View Post
    Seems even worse now. I picked up an 8X yesterday... The situation is now:

    - There's a podcasts option in the Music hub, which says to get stuff from the store.
    - There are no podcasts on the store.
    - You cannot subscribe to podcasts from the WP8 app in Windows 8.

    So... unless I'm missing it, you cannot subscribe to podcasts without using third party apps if you're in the UK. GREAT SUCCESS! :\
    didnt see this thread, apologies, I cant figure it out either, terrible really! Wouldnt be such a problem if the podcast apps werent terrible
  4. PG2G's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    453 Posts
    #4  
    BRINGCAST3 (currently in beta) looks great. Hopefully it'll be out soon.

  5. agolding's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by PG2G View Post
    BRINGCAST3 (currently in beta) looks great. Hopefully it'll be out soon.

    looks quite nice but i presume with the limitations still it isnt possible to background download new podcasts? I do like being able to wake up with new podcasts already downloaded, Just wondered if its possible for an application to do this or not, anyone know?
  6. ctafield's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    31 Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by agolding View Post
    looks quite nice but i presume with the limitations still it isnt possible to background download new podcasts? I do like being able to wake up with new podcasts already downloaded, Just wondered if its possible for an application to do this or not, anyone know?
    It is possible, if the phone is plugged into the mains, and on wifi.
  7. agolding's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ctafield View Post
    It is possible, if the phone is plugged into the mains, and on wifi.
    Do any current apps do this?


    another thing i wondered would be if one person could show the contents of the podcast folder to see if it could be replicated :)
  8. TGBmark1234's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ctafield View Post
    Seems even worse now. I picked up an 8X yesterday... The situation is now:

    - There's a podcasts option in the Music hub, which says to get stuff from the store.
    - There are no podcasts on the store.
    - You cannot subscribe to podcasts from the WP8 app in Windows 8.

    So... unless I'm missing it, you cannot subscribe to podcasts without using third party apps if you're in the UK. GREAT SUCCESS! :\
    Absolutely, truely pathetic. It wouldn't be so bad if the phone didn't handle podcasts at all, but the fact that it is deliberately broken is frustrating beyond belief. I understand rights issues are a (bad) excuse for music and video availability, but that reason simply doesn't exist for podcasts.

    Perhaps someone should get a map and show MS the differences in size and population between the US and the Rest-of-World region.
  9. ctafield's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    31 Posts
    #9  
    I just managed to get some podcasts onto my phone... (thanks to a suggestion from @TheRomit on Twitter)

    If you've not already got it installed, install iTunes (bare with me)... and find your podcast(s) in the iTunes Store. Subscribe to them, and let it download at least one episode of each.

    Then crank up the Windows Phone sync tool, and import settings from iTunes. You should see your podcasts appear under the Xbox music app. From there you can then hit Subscribe, and it should automatically down your podcasts (when you're plugged into power, and on wifi). I haven't tried the last bit yet, but it let me subscribe fine.

    Hope this helps....
  10. geoken's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    15 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ctafield View Post
    I just managed to get some podcasts onto my phone... (thanks to a suggestion from @TheRomit on Twitter)

    If you've not already got it installed, install iTunes (bare with me)... and find your podcast(s) in the iTunes Store. Subscribe to them, and let it download at least one episode of each.

    Then crank up the Windows Phone sync tool, and import settings from iTunes. You should see your podcasts appear under the Xbox music app. From there you can then hit Subscribe, and it should automatically down your podcasts (when you're plugged into power, and on wifi). I haven't tried the last bit yet, but it let me subscribe fine.

    Hope this helps....
    Do you have the desktop sync tool running? If so, can you confirm that it can not import playlists/podcast from Zune?
  11. TGBmark1234's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
       #11  
    So basically the same workaround as was necessary to get podcast subcriptions working in WP7 Mango, except now we have to use iTunes instead of Zune.

    It's still pathetic behaviour from MS, but at least there seems to be an option for when I move to WP8.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by ctafield View Post
    I just managed to get some podcasts onto my phone... (thanks to a suggestion from @TheRomit on Twitter)

    If you've not already got it installed, install iTunes (bare with me)... and find your podcast(s) in the iTunes Store. Subscribe to them, and let it download at least one episode of each.

    Then crank up the Windows Phone sync tool, and import settings from iTunes. You should see your podcasts appear under the Xbox music app. From there you can then hit Subscribe, and it should automatically down your podcasts (when you're plugged into power, and on wifi). I haven't tried the last bit yet, but it let me subscribe fine.

    Hope this helps....
    Thx for that

    Looks like Im going to have to install itunes :mad:
    If i tell you last time I looked at itunes it was version 4.xx, that should tell you how long ago it was ;)
    I might see if the same process works with media monkey
  13. ctafield's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    31 Posts
    #13  
    Think I may have been a bit premature. Clicking the Subscribe button does nothing :(
    mehdoh - htc 8s - htc 7 mozart - lumia 710 - lg optimus 7 - + few more ...
  14. TGBmark1234's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
       #14  
    Oh. :(
  15. TGBmark1234's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
       #15  
    Thurrott has posted an article mentioning the iTunes workaround, but he also says OTA podcast downloading is more widely available than before.

    http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...odcasts-144751
    Muessig likes this.
  16. paulm187's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    273 Posts
    #16  
    I use Slapdash but its not that good, on my Surface I use PushPod which is better but not available for WP
  17. ctafield's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    31 Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by TGBmark1234 View Post
    Thurrott has posted an article mentioning the iTunes workaround, but he also says OTA podcast downloading is more widely available than before.

    http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...odcasts-144751
    I tried tweeting Paul... he's wrong basically :( Like I say, the subscribe button does nothing. If you don't mind download them on your PC and syncing across, then that's a solution... but it won't auto download on the phone.

    geoken - sorry, I missed your post... You can't seem to import from Zune. The desktop app lets you import from either Media Player, or iTunes.
    mehdoh - htc 8s - htc 7 mozart - lumia 710 - lg optimus 7 - + few more ...
  18. TGBmark1234's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
       #18  
    Of the two views, I believed your negative one more than Paul's upbeat one. He's generally 100% wrong on anything non-US.

    I don't like the idea of having to connect my phone to my PC every day to sync podcasts. If I wanted a retro experience I'd have a Blackberry. Even my dreadful old Symbian phone managed to download (and subscribe to) podcasts without going anywhere near my PC.
  19. runam0k's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    66 Posts
    #19  
    It's insane. 3rd party apps only for now.
    Thanked by:
  20. Chris Bardon's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    #20  
    Just spent the last couple of hours fighting with this and trying to get something to work. I've managed to get the itunes option working (grumble...), and held out hope for the "subscribe" button to work, but I noticed that not only will this not subscribe, but it also won't let you set options for a series like "play oldest first"... Pretty pathetic actually...

    Anyone got any suggestions for good 3p apps for wp8? Really, I just want something that will download automatically (I don't want to stream-data rates in Canada are ridiculous), allow me some decent control over storage, and bookmark what I'm playing. Slapdash doesn't seem to download automatically, although it did look reasonably promising.
  21. runam0k's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    66 Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bardon View Post
    Just spent the last couple of hours fighting with this and trying to get something to work. I've managed to get the itunes option working (grumble...), and held out hope for the "subscribe" button to work, but I noticed that not only will this not subscribe, but it also won't let you set options for a series like "play oldest first"... Pretty pathetic actually...

    Anyone got any suggestions for good 3p apps for wp8? Really, I just want something that will download automatically (I don't want to stream-data rates in Canada are ridiculous), allow me some decent control over storage, and bookmark what I'm playing. Slapdash doesn't seem to download automatically, although it did look reasonably promising.
    It's so bad.

    I'm using wpodder at the moment, but I don't think it auto downloads either.
  22. Workshop2's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    #22  
    This is terrible, so amazingly terrible it makes me angry. I love podcasts, and I have been setting up my phone until it hit me that there was no way to access podcasts in the UK.

    All the 3rd party apps are really rubbish when it comes to downloading automatically - I can't seem to find any that do. I have come accustomed to having podcasts download during the night, manually doing it is horrible. Does anyone know of an app that downloads automatically?
  23. phytio's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4 Posts
    #23  
    Ugh. I originally went WP to avoid installing iTunes on my computer. As for the comments about Paul being wrong, yea, he's pretty US-centric. Has anyone tried tweeting Peter Bright or Jay Bennett about it? I'm not on Twitter.
  24. paulm187's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    273 Posts
    #24  
    I'm afraid outside the US the only way is to use 3rd party apps and all of them on WP suck! I'm using SlapDash as the moment but have to manualy download and it doesn't even keep track of my listening time. I've used PushPod on Windows 8 which is great but sadly the developer doesn't see the work needed to create a WP version worthwhile.
  25. bobdonkey's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    38 Posts
    #25  
    I just got my 8x today...was going to go for a run, thought I would quickly put a podcast on, then realised you can't. At all. And I am not installing itunes. If I had a surface, there would be no way of doing this at all. Plus the device rebooted just now after about 1 hour of owning it.
    This is a nice device, but I am probably going to send this back tomorrow until somethin actually works.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions