Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Just found this interesting comparison, I don't see a clear winner. Discuss,

Nokia Lumia 920 camera vs. HTC Windows Phone 8X vs. iPhone 5 | Dialed In - CNET Blogs

Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Man, what happened to the 8x in a couple of those pictures? Dreadful.

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I think iPhone photos are sharper and better contrasted, however in low-light condition Nokia takes the lead.
    I am actually disappointed with Lumia 920's camera, i expected sharper images in the day light.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    There are too many inconsistent comparisons of these phone cameras on the Internet. I wonder if an actual photography site has done reviews or comparisons on this.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    They should do a video comparison next. I wonder how good the OIS on the iPhone or 8x is.
    aubreyq and MAERSK like this.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vagrantwade View Post
    they should do a video comparison next. I wonder how good the ois on the iphone or 8x is.
    zing!!!
    MAERSK and VagrantWade like this.

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts
    Jessica Dolcourt isn't the brightest... LOL's all over her articles
    aubreyq, a5cent and MAERSK like this.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Villain View Post
    Jessica Dolcourt isn't the brightest... LOL's all over her articles
    CNET should have their camera geek in NY (Lori Grunin?) do this test.
    MAERSK likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    There are too many inconsistent comparisons of these phone cameras on the Internet. I wonder if an actual photography site has done reviews or comparisons on this.
    I'm pretty sure you saw this aubreyq, but for those that haven't:

This is the most competent Lumia 920 camera comparison I've seen so far. Jessica Dolcourt from cnet (actually anyone from cnet) is simply clueless in comparison. They simply lack the knowledge to review anything technical.
    AngryNil likes this.

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    I'm pretty sure you saw this aubreyq, but for those that haven't:

This is the most competent Lumia 920 camera comparison I've seen so far. Jessica Dolcourt from cnet (actually anyone from cnet) is simply clueless in comparison. They simply lack the knowledge to review anything technical.
    Actually I had not seen it. That was a good test. I'm looking forward to seeing their 8X camera testing, however I doubt it'll be superior to the 920's.

Thanks for the link!!

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Seems like the Iphone 5 is most consistent, with the Lumia offering unnatural colors and blur but exceeding in the dark and the 8X offering great pictures but chocking most of the time..

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    The iPhone 5 camera looks like trash without a well lit envronment. And the video camera is equal levels of suck.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    To be honest, this is the way we should get the picture reviews. As normal people take it, no everyone has the time or knowledge to use the settings. They just want to focus, shoot and get a good picture.
    1jaxstate1 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterfang View Post
    To be honest, this is the way we should get the picture reviews. As normal people take it, no everyone has the time or knowledge to use the settings. They just want to focus, shoot and get a good picture.
    People who couldn't be bothered to use cameras correctly, probably don't really care about picture quality either, so I don't see why tests should cater to the lowest competency level of humanity.

Nevertheless, the review I linked to did include one test to simulate a clueless user. I think that is a fair compromise.
    aubreyq and AngryNil like this.

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Yeah, because holding the phone and waiting one more second to push the button AND mind what you are doing takes to much work and knowledge. Yeah. I forgot. That is not what normal people should do.

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    People who couldn't be bothered to use cameras correctly, probably don't really care about picture quality either, so I don't see why tests should cater to the lowest competency level of humanity.

Nevertheless, the review I linked to did include one test to simulate a clueless user. I think that is a fair compromise.
    I, in NO way, am a professional photographer or have taken one single class in photography.

I just happen to have this little thing called "common sense" and some interest in how things I do come out.

That has helped me get better pictures with my phone.

If someone can not do that, they certainly have the lowest competency level of humanity.

:)
    aubreyq and a5cent like this.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    What exactly did the reviewer did wrong?

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    What exactly did the reviewer did wrong?
    Take very crappy pictures.

My 3GS can take pictures less blurry than the ones in that comparison.
    aubreyq likes this.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    People take crappy pictures, I had a friend with an Iphone 4 and she kept complaining about the crappy camera, I was taking photos with my Optimus 7 and she love how the pictures look. (Well she did had a GS2 before the iphone, is very hard not to take a great picture with that phone)

Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    The point of the comparisons is to show you what sort of image quality that the average consumer will be producing. Sure, someone with experience/interest/time will be able to manipulate the settings on any of these devices to produce some amazing shots, but most folks who are interesting in smartphones for their cameras are interested in their ability to quickly take "point and shoot"-type images. That's why the CNet article praised the consistency of the iPhone5.

Global Posts
    3,438 Global Posts
    Seems like a good test to me. She isn't using the camera incorrectly. She holding it up and taking a shot, just like a normal user would.

On a different note, WTF if going on with that HTC 8X camera. Pretty crappy.

Order:
    Nokia Lumia 920
    iPhone 5
    HTC 8X

But I was expecting the 920 to blow the iPhone out the water with Nokia touting OIS the way they are, but it didn't. Not really a big difference.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    The 8X took great pictures most of the time but it choke for no reason in some. And when it chokes it does it really bad.

Global Posts
    2,682 Global Posts
    I was honestly thinking the 8x was going to have the better camera. I was really hoping for something extraordinary but eh it is what it is.

I keep telling myself the 8x is better (cause im on Verizon and I don't even have the choice) now you guys are making this harder on me! lol
    Try out my first Windows 8 app, ModernCalc! It's free and I would love to hear your feedback!

Phones: Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30, Ipod Nano 2nd gen (x4), Ipod touch 16gb 2nd gen
    Tablet: Surface for Windows RT

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berty6294 View Post
    I was honestly thinking the 8x was going to have the better camera. I was really hoping for something extraordinary but eh it is what it is.

I keep telling myself the 8x is better (cause im on Verizon and I don't even have the choice) now you guys are making this harder on me! lol
    Man, I gotta be honest. If I were on Verizon I'd be considering the Nokia 822 or wait for the Samsung Odyssey's specs to be detailed.

Global Posts
    1,505 Global Posts
    The variety of picture quality in some of these reviews, specifically with the 920, is incredible. The Verge guys can't stop gushing about the camera. The even mention how good it is in the Nexus 4 review. Other reviews talk about washed out, no detail, etc. It makes me wonder if some reviewers have an early version of the image software.

Also, that's not an excuse. If it's true I think that's a huge fail on Nokia's part. You can upgrade software, but reviewers rarely upgrade their text. Similar to the Surface reviews. They all mention laggy performance in some areas. Maybe MS will fix it, but the reviews will exist forever.
    aubreyq likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast