Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree12Likes
  • 4 Post By AngryNil
  • 2 Post By lonbraj
  • 2 Post By thed
  • 1 Post By blehblehbleh
  • 1 Post By 1jaxstate1
  • 1 Post By independentvolume
  • 1 Post By Squachy
  1. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,438 Global Posts
       #1  
    Windows mobile power user is reporting that MS wanted to implement a notification center, but ran out of time.

    Guess we'll see it in WP9

    TAKE THAT NAYSAYERS!
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
  2. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jaxstate1 View Post
    Windows mobile power user is reporting that MS wanted to implement a notification center, but ran out of time.

    Guess we'll see it in WP9

    TAKE THAT NAYSAYERS!
    Interesting. I've mentioned in a few threads that switching to the new kernel must've taken a lot of time and resources for MS to focus on everything regarding WP8. You have a link to that report?

    What DID happen to WeeBear?
  3. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,438 Global Posts
       #3  
    Here's the link http://wmpoweruser.com/interesting-m...n-out-of-time/
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    Interesting. I've mentioned in a few threads that switching to the new kernel must've taken a lot of time and resources for MS to focus on everything regarding WP8. You have a link to that report?

    What DID happen to WeeBear?
    WeeBear took a break due to something with his eye, If i remember correctly.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
  4. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,378 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,382 Global Posts
    #4  
    Great, now people here can stop telling me I'm doing it wrong.
    Thanked by:
  5. lonbraj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    43 Posts
    #5  
    They clearly ran out of time. WP8 is WP7.5 with a new kernel and a promising future, it's a new start. We are 5 years late, i hope MSFT update WP more often because one year for a major update is not enough.
    aubreyq and Villain like this.
  6. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,438 Global Posts
       #6  
    Amen!!
    Quote Originally Posted by irlju View Post
    Great, now people here can stop telling me I'm doing it wrong.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
  7. lonbraj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    43 Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by irlju View Post
    Great, now people here can stop telling me I'm doing it wrong.
    +99999999999999999
  8. thed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    993 Posts
    #8  
    But, the start screen! And the lock screen!

    In all seriousness, it's good to know that someone at MS understands the need for it. WP8.5 maybe?
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq and Muessig like this.
  9. blehblehbleh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    544 Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by irlju View Post
    Great, now people here can stop telling me I'm doing it wrong.
    Hahaha but at the moment you are! j/k.

    It'll be interesting to see their take on a notification center. Hopefully we'll see one in 8.5. I'm hoping they MS left a bunch of features out because they plan to speed up their dev and release cycles once they got over the hump of the kernel switch.
    AngryNil likes this.
  10. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    #10  
    Notification Center fans are hereby vindicated. Well, when it comes out, that is.
  11. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,438 Global Posts
       #11  
    They are going to have to rebuild the kernal again, so no updates for WP8 to WP9, which will introduce the all new fantastic notification system. Lol
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
    aubreyq likes this.
  12. #12  
    Motorola is going to lose money, get dropped by google, pick up wp9, and become the new Nokia. Market down.
    aubreyq likes this.
  13. Squachy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    179 Posts
    #13  
    WEll i guess that rumor awhile back where they had to cut features out of wp8 to make the launch date could have some validity if this rumor turns out to be true.

    And remember when Nodo came out which brought cut and paste (then considered a major omission)? Yeah that was like sometime at the beginning of the new year, before Mango mid-year.
    aubreyq likes this.
  14. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Squachy View Post
    WEll i guess that rumor awhile back where they had to cut features out of wp8 to make the launch date could have some validity if this rumor turns out to be true.
    Absolutely.

    Quote Originally Posted by Squachy View Post
    And remember when Nodo came out which brought cut and paste (then considered a major omission)? Yeah that was like sometime at the beginning of the new year, before Mango mid-year.
    NoDo was January 2011 or so (very soon after WP7s launch). Mango arrived in September 2011, I think?
  15. Squachy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    179 Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    Absolutely.

    NoDo was January 2011 or so (very soon after WP7s launch). Mango arrived in September 2011, I think?
    I thought Mango was 'official' in like end of July but some carriers didnt roll it out till a couple months after. At least..i htink thats what happened.
  16. PG2G's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    453 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    NoDo was January 2011 or so (very soon after WP7s launch). Mango arrived in September 2011, I think?
    NoDo was announced at CES (January) and MWC (February) but didn't actually come out until March (and April for most of us).

    We'll probably see an intermediate update announced at MWC. I doubt it'll include anything that would require updates to the SDK though. I'm guessing more hardware support (Snapdragon S4 Pro and perhaps ST-Ericcson's NovaThor and NVIDIA's Tegra 4) and other things that don't really affect users (like universal search). We'll see though

    Quote Originally Posted by Squachy View Post
    I thought Mango was 'official' in like end of July but some carriers didnt roll it out till a couple months after. At least..i htink thats what happened.
    I think the Mango beta was released late July, with it going RTM in mid/late August, and it being officially released around September.
  17. JSern's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #17  
    Think about it, if the notification center is like the N9, swipe to the left from the home screen
  18. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by JSern View Post
    Think about it, if the notification center is like the N9, swipe to the left from the home screen
    Trying to think, if you swipe your finger to the left from the Start screen on WP8 (revealing screen right of Start), you'd get Kids Corner, so for a Notification Center you'd be swiping your finger to the right (revealing screen left of Start).
  19. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,246 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by PG2G View Post
    NoDo was announced at CES (January) and MWC (February) but didn't actually come out until March (and April for most of us).
    Aaaah, that makes sense. I remember coming down from Yosemite in April 2011 and there was an update notification on my phone. So that was NoDo, then. Thanks for the clarification.
  20. deadwrong03's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    652 Posts
    #20  
    it shouldnt even be a major update to add a notification center couldnt they slip it in sometime from now til march in a minor update
  21. CJ Thunder's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    548 Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyq View Post
    Trying to think, if you swipe your finger to the left from the Start screen on WP8 (revealing screen right of Start), you'd get Kids Corner, so for a Notification Center you'd be swiping your finger to the right (revealing screen left of Start).
    I frequently get two texts at the same time and only see one of them so even looking at the screen you can miss things. It has to be in the OS. Swipe from left of Start won't help in a game or movie or other app. It has to be an off screen pull or a reorganization of the buttons.

    Though in some apps I feel doing the pull down like iOS or Android plays into some errors and it might be too late to do a button reorganization.
  22. nizzon's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    95 Posts
    #22  
    Notificationcenter mentioned at BUILD!
    We might see it in the future. Awesome news!

    Skip to 2:45...
    In WP8 Live Tiles will now no longer expire after 2 weeks - YouTube!
  23. #23  
    I must admit, I felt both vindicated and relieved when I read this. I was seriously considering moving on from WP if a notification center (or some amalgam thereof) wasn't implemented in wp8. But the truth of the matter is that I strongly believe in and like/love wp's approach to mobile computing and I have substantial misgivings when it comes to android and ios (although I can admire aspects of those os's). Although I wish a notification center was part of wp8, I can understand the delay and am more glad than anything that the community's request is being acknowledged. I'm hoping to see notification center in the next incremental or .5 upgrade and cant wait to see how ms thoughtfully applies wp's unique design/ui philosophy to the notification center.
    By design...

    @ebopeep
  24. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,378 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,382 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Thunder View Post
    Swipe from left of Start won't help in a game or movie or other app. It has to be an off screen pull or a reorganization of the buttons.
    I don't see the problem with hitting the home button and swiping once to go to the left of the tiles. Seriously not a big deal, way better than having buried notifications in the Me app as it is right now.
  25. CJ Thunder's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    548 Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by irlju View Post
    I don't see the problem with hitting the home button and swiping once to go to the left of the tiles. Seriously not a big deal, way better than having buried notifications in the Me app as it is right now.
    That is two steps, the other two systems use pull down. Nothing wrong with using a good idea.

Posting Permissions

B